Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,502 of 1,957
Dec 30, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #1,505 of 1,957

The gold faceplates, on both sides of my W60, cracked even though I've never removed or changed them. The problems are fundamentally down to design and material.

Hopefully cracking faceplates will not be an issue with the new design for the W80 (though time will tell).

Does it only effect the gold plates ? or any?

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,507 of 1,957
  Hi guys

Can anyone compare the W60 with any of the following:

Campfire Audio Dorado / Lyra II / Vega
Ibasso IT03
Cardas A8
Aurisonics ASG-2.5

Contemplating picking a pair of W60's up as I mainly have single DD IEMs or hybrids at the moment so want an all-BA model for review comparisons - wasn't a massive fan of the UM Pro 50 sound but have been reading good things about the W60 so trying to get an idea whether they will suit my preferences. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated! :wink:

IT03 has a more airy signature with nice sub bass in the lower regions. 
W60 is much more refined and in a different league overall in my experience

The pricing reflects the quality difference IMO

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,508 of 1,957

Thanks for the response.

Decided to pass on the W60, so looking into other options like the A&K Angie V1 instead now. Thanks for the comparison though - assumed the W60 works be a tier up, was just liking for some comparative anchor points to know what sort of overall sound to expect.

Cheers!

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,509 of 1,957

Thanks for the response.

Decided to pass on the W60, so looking into other options like the A&K Angie V1 instead now. Thanks for the comparison though - assumed the W60 works be a tier up, was just liking for some comparative anchor points to know what sort of overall sound to expect.

Cheers!

CanJam London is in July. I know it's far away, but I think it's the best chance/place to actually hear everything yourself in addition to reading reviews and impressions :wink:

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,510 of 1,957
CanJam London is in July. I know it's far away, but I think it's the best chance/place to actually hear everything yourself in addition to reading reviews and impressions :wink:

Living in the UK (and no longer in London, sadly), Canjam is pretty much the only option for mass auditions of gear outside of the handful of review tours that come around every so often, so definitely planning to attend next year (2016 was my first visit).

You know what it's like, though - there's always another itch to scratch in the meanwhile! :wink:

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #1,511 of 1,957
CanJam London is in July. I know it's far away, but I think it's the best chance/place to actually hear everything yourself in addition to reading reviews and impressions
wink.gif

Nice -

Is ALO, Ibasso, Cardas, Aurisonics (Fender)- on the 2017 list ?

As i don't think any of them were there in 2016?

Would be great to see them there!

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,512 of 1,957
Come to think of it, don't think Westone or Shure were there last year unless I missed their stands. Either Noble, JH Audio etc were there - would be awesome if some of the "big" players attend next year.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,514 of 1,957
Greetings Westoners... I'm the person who took advantage of the fantastic deal offered by TCD1975 & bought his W60's.

In anticipation of their arrival I ordered a set of the orange Star tips as I usually need larger sizes. However, turns out the fit of Westone's incredible array of tip offerings means I get a better seal from other options.

Are any of you in a position to swap a set (5 pairs) of unused orange Star tips for either sets of red Star tips or the black Westone foamies? I'm in the UK.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,515 of 1,957
  Greetings Westoners... I'm the person who took advantage of the fantastic deal offered by TCD1975 & bought his W60's.

In anticipation of their arrival I ordered a set of the orange Star tips as I usually need larger sizes. However, turns out the fit of Westone's incredible array of tip offerings means I get a better seal from other options.

Are any of you in a position to swap a set (5 pairs) of unused orange Star tips for either sets of red Star tips or the black Westone foamies? I'm in the UK.

Wait, so you got your W60 without any tips and ordered a separate set of one specific size?  Or did you order orange tips because you didn't know W60 will arrive with all the sizes already?  These tips do last a long time, not easy to destroy them
biggrin.gif
  Plus, sometime you can go back'n'forth between two "adjacent" sizes to slightly fine tune the signature.  I use orange ones as well for a better seal, but if bass is a bit overwhelming (like in W50), I can step down to red.  Maybe it makes sense to get another full set from your local distributor?  These sets are usually relatively cheap.

Another trick, as you're aware Westone shells have a thin nozzle which can't accept large bore opening eartips.  So, for example, you can take unused tips, cut off the stem part, and use it as a nozzle spacers with other eartips over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back