Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #1,486 of 1,957
Would W60 be a good choice for listening to Classic Rock / Heavy Metal?

Yes. Great impact and warmth with a very musical midrange. It's an excellent choice for rock and metal.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #1,487 of 1,957
I'm thinking of getting a pair of W60s, but I'm worried about the issue with the faceplates cracking. I wrote Westone to ask what they've done about the problem, and I was told that they have not change the design at all: according to the rep who wrote me, the breakage was cause by overtightened screws. She also said that they only offer a 90 day warranty on the faceplates, which is somewhat discouraging.

I'm wondering: has anyone had their faceplates break without having adjusted the screws?

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,488 of 1,957
I'm the director of product and marketing at Westone.

It is true that the main failure is caused by over tightening. We are working on a solution for the future.

What I will say is that we will support replacing broken c-clips past 90 days and often for the full 2 year warranty.

Great earphone and I can vouch for the fact that we will take care of any issues concerning defaults in manufacturing. I'll also say that I've never had a cracked clip.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,489 of 1,957
I'm not so sure I'd agree with that, the warmth of the W60 takes away a lot of the harshness and distortions in music, which I think is great for acoustic or ambient music, but it might take away the aggressiveness in rock and metal, it's best to demo them first before purchasing.

Quote:
Yes. Great impact and warmth with a very musical midrange. It's an excellent choice for rock and metal.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,490 of 1,957
  I'm not so sure I'd agree with that, the warmth of the W60 takes away a lot of the harshness and distortions in music, which I think is great for acoustic or ambient music, but it might take away the aggressiveness in rock and metal, it's best to demo them first before purchasing.

Quote:

I think we are getting more into the territory of a personal sound preference 
wink.gif
  I totally agree, if you get a chance, better audition it first.  But honestly, there is no right or wrong answer in this case.  For example, I prefer the speed/attack of W80 bass (w/Ref8 cable) when listening to EDM/pop tracks, while I recently chatted with someone who likes W60 for EDM.  Just a matter of a personal taste.
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,491 of 1,957
  I'm thinking of getting a pair of W60s, but I'm worried about the issue with the faceplates cracking. I wrote Westone to ask what they've done about the problem, and I was told that they have not change the design at all: according to the rep who wrote me, the breakage was cause by overtightened screws. She also said that they only offer a 90 day warranty on the faceplates, which is somewhat discouraging.

I'm wondering: has anyone had their faceplates break without having adjusted the screws?

Yeah, happened to me too.  I had a faceplate overtightened and it caused the crack.  Had that replaced under warranty way pass 90days.  Funny, I didn't even mention I was a reviewer (no special treatment), just provided a serial number and got L/R replacement pair in the mail within a week.

Also, if you don't tighten the screw, the faceplate will be loose and the edges will not be flush with a shell, which can cause them get caught on things.  Just have to be careful.

I like the direction of W80 redesign of faceplates, from my review (W60 on the top, W80 below it):

Actually like keeping red on the Right side and blue on the Left side, a quick id without hesitation.

Glad Westone @BKG22 monitors the thread and chimed in with confirmation.  That's what I thought, they will honor the warranty for the full 2 yr period.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,492 of 1,957

Always best to demo before purchasing. It depends on what kind of rock and metal we are talking about here. And it depends on what type of fit you get, of course, too - the tip and firing angle make a difference. If you are listening to poorly-recorded black metal or early thrash a more robust and blunted sound will serve the music well - a W60 with foams will provide this. 

For me, I listen to a lot of complex prog and technical death metal. For these purposes, I've found the W60 will perform well with a silver cable to add a little air and sparkle. Through more extensive experimentation, I also created a modded tip out of a set of Spin-fit tips and Etymotic triple flanges, which allows for a deep insertion and a more direct angle to the ear canal - but with a dual flange so I get better isolation than the Spin-fit stock would offer (are the's things made for elf ears? what the heck?). Anyway, better detail retrieval and clarity. Sounds a bit more like the W80, IMO.

I could go on and on, but I think you probably get the point.   

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,493 of 1,957
I'm the director of product and marketing at Westone.

It is true that the main failure is caused by over tightening. We are working on a solution for the future.

What I will say is that we will support replacing broken c-clips past 90 days and often for the full 2 year warranty.

Great earphone and I can vouch for the fact that we will take care of any issues concerning defaults in manufacturing. I'll also say that I've never had a cracked clip.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in. This is really good to know - and it's different from what I was told by the Westone rep who e-mailed me.

Fwiw, this is all I need to know to buy a pair. I demoed the W60 alongside its competitors last week (JH13v2, Noble Savant, CA Jupiter, etc), and I liked the W60 by far the best. The issue with the faceplates was putting me off, but it means a lot that you're willing to stand by your product.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #1,494 of 1,957
I've decided to sell my Westone W60, but hold on to my UM Pro 50.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/830417/westone-w60

The W60 is technically a better IEM, but I've been grabbing for the UM Pro 50 more.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,496 of 1,957
Hi guys

Can anyone compare the W60 with any of the following:

Campfire Audio Dorado / Lyra II / Vega
Ibasso IT03
Cardas A8
Aurisonics ASG-2.5

Contemplating picking a pair of W60's up as I mainly have single DD IEMs or hybrids at the moment so want an all-BA model for review comparisons - wasn't a massive fan of the UM Pro 50 sound but have been reading good things about the W60 so trying to get an idea whether they will suit my preferences. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated! :wink:

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,497 of 1,957
Dec 28, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,498 of 1,957
  Hi guys

Can anyone compare the W60 with any of the following:

Campfire Audio Dorado / Lyra II / Vega
Ibasso IT03
Cardas A8
Aurisonics ASG-2.5

Contemplating picking a pair of W60's up as I mainly have single DD IEMs or hybrids at the moment so want an all-BA model for review comparisons - wasn't a massive fan of the UM Pro 50 sound but have been reading good things about the W60 so trying to get an idea whether they will suit my preferences. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated! :wink:

W60 smooth laid back signature (yet, still resolving) is closer to dynamic driver performance then some other multi-BA iems.

I compared W60 to UM Pro 50 in my review last year: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-w60-signature-series-6-driver-universal-fit-in-ear-headphones/reviews/13390 - scroll down to the comparison section.  Maybe that can give you a clue?

Vega has a lot more bass and more resolving brighter upper mids/treble.  iBasso iT03 is your typical 3way hybrid.  It's really not in the same category as W60.  I also reviewed IT03 with lots of comparison here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-it03/reviews/17016

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #1,499 of 1,957
W60 smooth laid back signature (yet, still resolving) is closer to dynamic driver performance then some other multi-BA iems.

I compared W60 to UM Pro 50 in my review last year: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-w60-signature-series-6-driver-universal-fit-in-ear-headphones/reviews/13390 - scroll down to the comparison section.  Maybe that can give you a clue?

Vega has a lot more bass and more resolving brighter upper mids/treble.  iBasso iT03 is your typical 3way hybrid.  It's really not in the same category as W60.  I also reviewed IT03 with lots of comparison here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-it03/reviews/17016

Thanks for the info - did read your UMPro 50 comparison at the time I had them so will have another look.

I guessed the W60s would be in a different bracket to the IT03 (good as they are), was just looking for some comparative touchpoints with a signature I know quite well to point me in the right direction. Think the feel I was eyeing up might be off the table now anyway, but will definitely have a read of your two reviews to get some more context just I case it does end up still being available.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,500 of 1,957
there is a w60 FS for 315 pounds , great price imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back