Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,472 of 1,957
Seriously Westone, sort out the issues people are having with the numerous mmx failings or the cracking face plates before releasing new toys please!

I just sent Westone my second pair of W60's because of connector problems. I bought my original pair just over a year ago. The service rep told me that she wasn't aware of a design issue with the mmx connectors on the W60.

I've also received several faceplates to replace the cracked ones. I think I've resolved the problem with the faceplates by putting a small dab of silicone sealant behind each lobe of the faceplate. When it cures it provides a 'cushion' to fill the gap and prevent flexing (and cracking) of the faceplate. If you want to remove the faceplate, gently lift the lobes and the plate will slide off. At least I didn't have to use any duct tape!:)

I agree that Westone needs to resolve their design issues with the W60.

I love the W60's; I just wish they were more dependable. I am glad that some users have never experienced these issues with their W60s.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,473 of 1,957
I just sent Westone my second pair of W60's because of connector problems. I bought my original pair just over a year ago. The service rep told me that she wasn't aware of a design issue with the mmx connectors on the W60.

I've also received several faceplates to replace the cracked ones. I think I've resolved the problem with the faceplates by putting a small dab of silicone sealant behind each lobe of the faceplate. When it cures it provides a 'cushion' to fill the gap and prevent flexing (and cracking) of the faceplate. If you want to remove the faceplate, gently lift the lobes and the plate will slide off. At least I didn't have to use any duct tape!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the W60's; I just wish they were more dependable. I am glad that some users have never experienced these issues with their W60s.

these headphones need to use carefully, then you have n be such problems.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,474 of 1,957

Seriously Westone, sort out the issues people are having with the numerous mmx failings or the cracking face plates before releasing new toys please!

I've also received several faceplates to replace the cracked ones. I think I've resolved the problem with the faceplates by putting a small dab of silicone sealant behind each lobe of the faceplate. When it cures it provides a 'cushion' to fill the gap and prevent flexing (and cracking) of the faceplate. If you want to remove the faceplate, gently lift the lobes and the plate will slide off. At least I didn't have to use any duct tape!
smily_headphones1.gif

For sure, faceplate issue has been resolved in W80; the new design is definitely a huge improvement
biggrin.gif
  Makes me wonder if W60 going to be refreshed, but I have no idea.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,475 of 1,957
Westone just sent me a replacement W60 and new cable. I'll be carefully monitoring them for any issues. Westone has been very good at replacing them under warranty.

The faceplate issue is a concern but not as much as the connector. BTW, thanks for your reviews, Twister. I really enjoy reading them; they are very helpful. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,476 of 1,957
Hey fellas, any idea where I can get hold of one of the little screws that hold the faceplates in pace?

I have some W60s on a loaner for a review I'm doing and sadly both faceplates are cracked down the middle and have split in too. Not my doing I must add! I'm guessing the little screw on the left hand IEM wasn't secure, because I've just noticed it is now missing.

I've tried emailing Westone via their contact page, but it errors out each time.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,477 of 1,957
  Hey fellas, any idea where I can get hold of one of the little screws that hold the faceplates in pace?

I have some W60s on a loaner for a review I'm doing and sadly both faceplates are cracked down the middle and have split in too. Not my doing I must add! I'm guessing the little screw on the left hand IEM wasn't secure, because I've just noticed it is now missing.

I've tried emailing Westone via their contact page, but it errors out each time.

Ouch, so the screw fell out while the faceplate is still there?  Strange how it cracked, maybe the previous owner over-tighten it?  But either way, let me ping my Westone contact and if you can, PM me your email so I can forward it to them to contact you directly.

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,478 of 1,957

Ouch, so the screw fell out while the faceplate is still there?  Strange how it cracked, maybe the previous owner over-tighten it?  But either way, let me ping my Westone contact and if you can, PM me your email so I can forward it to them to contact you directly.

Yeah the faceplates were both snapped in half, but still connected. They quickly fell off though. I'm presuming over-tightening and the owner confirmed he is inclined to do that some times.

Very annoying the screw has come out, as it could literally could have gone anywhere.

Thanks for helping out. I'll PM you my email address now

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #1,479 of 1,957

Strange how it cracked, maybe the previous owner over-tighten it?

I'm presuming over-tightening and the owner confirmed he is inclined to do that some times.

The gold faceplates, on both sides of my W60, cracked even though I've never removed or changed them. The problems are fundamentally down to design and material.

Hopefully cracking faceplates will not be an issue with the new design for the W80 (though time will tell).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back