Westone W60 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,307 of 1,957
They cost me £400  i will not be parting with these. I had the 4R,( Now for sale),and they are far more comfortable over long periods, than my 846. I will also keep the 846,but tend to use the W60. I think its because they are smaller than the 846, and the nozzle,is at a slightly different angle.

May 6, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,308 of 1,957
  They cost me £400  i will not be parting with these. I had the 4R,( Now for sale),and they are far more comfortable over long periods, than my 846. I will also keep the 846,but tend to use the W60. I think its because they are smaller than the 846, and the nozzle,is at a slightly different angle.

I had 4r (two pairs) but um3x limited edition liked more!

May 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,309 of 1,957
Well after 5 months my "W60" cosmetic covers both are showing cracks on the back of my W60s. According to this thread the "W60" indicates an older rev while the "W" is the latest. I've emailed Westone support and will report back on their response.

Annoying, but no impact to sound and fit. In hindsight, I think the changeable faceplates was a stupid idea. Just make them sound great and go with a safe color like all black. I would even take a $20 discount in lieu of changeable faceplates.

Update - I got re-placement faceplates. Still show "W60" but was told by customer support that most current faceplates where slightly modified in design and should not split. Only "some" of the older faceplates did not meet manufacturing tolerances. Westone did not say anything regarding versions differentiated by "W" logo versus "W60". Good customer support experience overall.

May 19, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #1,311 of 1,957
  Well after 5 months my "W60" cosmetic covers both are showing cracks on the back of my W60s. According to this thread the "W60" indicates an older rev while the "W" is the latest. I've emailed Westone support and will report back on their response.

Annoying, but no impact to sound and fit. In hindsight, I think the changeable faceplates was a stupid idea. Just make them sound great and go with a safe color like all black. I would even take a $20 discount in lieu of changeable faceplates.

Update - I got re-placement faceplates. Still show "W60" but was told by customer support that most current faceplates where slightly modified in design and should not split. Only "some" of the older faceplates did not meet manufacturing tolerances. Westone did not say anything regarding versions differentiated by "W" logo versus "W60". Good customer support experience overall.

Interesting that you mention this. I've only had a close inspection of my W60's just today. I have the "W" faceplates and only one side has a partial crack under the screw (I can tell its cracked by squeezing the sides of the W60 gently, theres movement on the cracked side, and its a solid feeling on earpiece thats not cracked). I think the problem is that the plastic is thin and curved in such a manner that it cracks due to the pre-stress and not from actual usage. Problem is easily solved using a more ductile material like aluminium.

Don't know if I'm eligible for a replacement set though, since my warranty is probably expired and I've thrown out the receipt lol.

May 20, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #1,312 of 1,957
my faceplates of the w60 were replaced without asking about my warranty .in new W60 faceplates.
Its a better fit .
I was told that the fit was the problem. they were send to Europe in 5 days,

hope this helps Blazer.

May 20, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #1,315 of 1,957
That is absolutely wild!

Do you have any idea how the shells just "crack"?  I want to make sure that doesn't happen to mine.  Thanks
I would like to know too as mine will be delivered to me today. And I want to take the caution to prevent this from happening.. Mine will have a "W" on the faceplate instead of "W60". Has mine been fixed? Or this problem exists across all revisions?

May 21, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,316 of 1,957
Weston emailed me, stating,, Shells are not sold separately,and are only covered by warranty for 90 days!. i had a closer look at mine, the crack, was a small hair,which i brushed off!. These shells, although a nice idea, don't appear to be long lasting, and why can't they be sold separately?.

May 21, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #1,317 of 1,957
It's strange how so many W60s have cracked face plates. I don't take mine out of the house but they seem quite tough looking, have you guys been tightening the screws too much? I guess Westone don't want to sell the W60 face plate separately in case many ppl would buy them and swap the face plates on the cheaper models and sold them as W60, just my guess.

May 21, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,318 of 1,957
  It's strange how so many W60s have cracked face plates. I don't take mine out of the house but they seem quite tough looking, have you guys been tightening the screws too much? I guess Westone don't want to sell the W60 face plate separately in case many ppl would buy them and swap the face plates on the cheaper models and sold them as W60, just my guess.

Mine has been straight out of the box and used, never changed the faceplates as I like the gold colour
bigsmile_face.gif
. Still cracks. My other conjecture is due to the heat, rapid expansion and contraction over a period of time causes the cracks to occur.

A shame about the 90 day warranty considering this is their flagship universal.

May 21, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,319 of 1,957
I supposed the crack in the faceplate is due to the metallic paints they used on the plastic faceplate, metallic paints tend to crack easily, from my experience from model making. If this problem happens so often it must be a manufacturing fault or they are using the wrong kind of paint, whichever the case, they should just replace the faceplates when the paint cracks, like you said, since it's their flagship universal and surely the faceplates couldn't be so costly to produce. I'm sure if enough people complain about it, they would have to do something about it.

Quote:
Mine has been straight out of the box and used, never changed the faceplates as I like the gold colour
bigsmile_face.gif
. Still cracks. My other conjecture is due to the heat, rapid expansion and contraction over a period of time causes the cracks to occur.

May 21, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #1,320 of 1,957
I supposed the crack in the faceplate is due to the metallic paints they used on the plastic faceplate, metallic paints tend to crack easily, from my experience from model making. If this problem happens so often it must be a manufacturing fault or they are using the wrong kind of paint, whichever the case, they should just replace the faceplates when the paint cracks, like you said, since it's their flagship universal and surely the faceplates couldn't be so costly to produce. I'm sure if enough people complain about it, they would have to do something about it.

Absolutely. I wouldn't be concerned if it was just the paint peeling off as such, but the actual faceplate has cracked physically near the screw area which is disappointing from a build quality view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back