Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #526 of 1,957
could someone try the westone w60 with phonak audio silicone tips and 100ohm adapter and compare that to the w4,4r with the tips and adapter as well? (the 4r and w4 is transformed like night and day with this)

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #528 of 1,957
wondering if someone could play some test tones into their w60, and see if this graph is correct or not?

for example a sine wave at 4.8khz at -10dbs and compared to a sine wave at 1.5khz at -10dbs , see what the perception of volume drop is to you in comparison to see if that nasty hole is really there.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #532 of 1,957
 If people want an IEM in the same form factor as Westone and Shure, they should take a hard look at the Nuforce Primo 8. For $499, it's by far the best buy of the bunch compared to all the other similar offerings I've seen in terms of sound quality.

Hi,
I thoroughly and completely disagree with you. I haven't heard a worst pair of earphones in my entire life; muddy, dark, compressed, lifeless, just plain awful. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but the apple earbuds sound way better than the Nu-force primo 8's. Thank you amazon for your return policy, otherwise I would've been stuck with a pair of $499 little turds.

F.Y.I. my comparison earphones are the Klipsch image 10x, Westone UM3X, and Shure SE846, with loseless media.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #533 of 1,957
oh, and I'm more likely to buy the W60's, reading this thread I'm getting quite convinced
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #535 of 1,957
  I thoroughly and completely disagree with you. I haven't heard a worst pair of earphones in my entire life; muddy, dark, compressed, lifeless, just plain awful. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but the apple earbuds sound way better than the Nu-force primo 8's. Thank you amazon for your return policy, otherwise I would've been stuck with a pair of $499 little turds.  
F.Y.I. my comparison earphones are the Klipsch image 10x, Westone UM3X, and Shure SE846, with loseless media.

What was your source? Sounds like you're using a source with high output impedance (e.g. OTL tube amps), which will make the Primo 8 very, very dark, very quickly. The Primo 8 needs a low output impedance source.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #537 of 1,957
  the primo 8 is horrible look at the big gaps , missing audio  
here larger image of it

http://i.imgur.com/ssjMhrC.jpg

If that's how you define "horrible" --- then the W60 is no better...
http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=430

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #538 of 1,957
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #540 of 1,957
  you bring up an extremely important point, i have been trying to get someone to test their w60 to see if that frequency response is  the same as those measurements, because if so i will not get it.

It should be. The FR corresponds with listening impressions. If you're concerned, just get the SE846. FR is not everything, though. You also should start learning about the cases in which measurements are not accurate. Even though the IEC standard is approved to 16 kHz, the vast majority of testers still insist IEC711 (60318-4) is only accurate to 8 kHz and anything beyond it is just ballpark levels. Even when things are tested in the reference plane, the 711 coupler exhibits 12 kHz resonance that theoretically shouldn't exist within the ear canal. Also, all these earphones have a little better extension that what they show in the FR charts. Because of the massive disparity in acoustic impedance and diameter of expansion, high frequencies are subjected to an "acoustical short", especially when not inserted to the intended depth. So long story short, most FR measurements are not actually accurate in the treble region, and only give ballpark approximations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back