Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #304 of 1,957
I'm really considering trying these out. I'm looking for something a little different than what I have, which are all bass heavy IEMS. Seems like these might compliment my little collection nicely. I've seen several comparisons to the Shure se846, which I own, and love. I'm looking for an iem that is a little lighter in the bass department, with excellent mids, soundstage, separation, and not too harsh highs. I'll probably pull the trigger in a couple of weeks. I'm going to research more IEMS that are similar to these.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #305 of 1,957
I'm really considering trying these out. I'm looking for something a little different than what I have, which are all bass heavy IEMS. Seems like these might compliment my little collection nicely. I've seen several comparisons to the Shure se846, which I own, and love. I'm looking for an iem that is a little lighter in the bass department, with excellent mids, soundstage, separation, and not too harsh highs. I'll probably pull the trigger in a couple of weeks. I'm going to research more IEMS that are similar to these.

Bass amount is pretty much same as SE846.  I don't have a way to measure it but it is certainly not a lighter bass.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #306 of 1,957
W60 may not have bass as punchy as the SE846 but they have just as much low extension, they have super smooth heights but definitely not bass light. If you want something with great clarity but bass light, try the UE900s.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #307 of 1,957
W60 may not have bass as punchy as the SE846 but they have just as much low extension, they have super smooth heights but definitely not bass light. If you want something with great clarity but bass light, try the UE900s.

I think the opposite is true. The W60 has a punchier bass thats at a higher frequency but the 846 has extension like no other. I found that some songs sounder better on the W60 and others on the 846. The highs on the W60 can get harsh at times but it's a very clear iem. Separation and detail is great but the soundstage is not very big. The 846 seems like the sound is coming from a couple of feet away from you whereas the W60 seems like the sound is coming from your head. It took a lot of back and forth listened to decide which I liked more. Im returning the W60 and sticking with my 846.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #308 of 1,957
the 846 has great sub lows, but the w60 has much more discernable tone to the low end. and I don't think I've ever heard the w60 highs sound harsh on anything I've listened to. very warm mids, and smooth as silk mids and highs. my preference is the w60 (with the right ear tip), but I like the 846 for what it does well, too.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #309 of 1,957
Hmmm, seems like our W60 sound completely the opposite. My W60 has the same low extension as the SE846, which I've checked with a tone generator, but somehow the SE846 bass sounds a lot more solid and punchy whereas the W60's sounds boomier in comparison. In fact I've not heard better bass than the SE846's from any headphones or IEMs, it sounds more like a subwoofer. W60's highs are the smoothest I've heard on any headphones and IEMs, in fact they are so smooth, even lower resolution mp3 files become listenable and with little harshness. As for soundstage, my W60's definitely is much wider than my SE846's, it's so wide that it made music sound surreal and dreamy like, whereas the SE846 is more solid and a little harsh but with more dynamics. The W60's soundstage is completely the opposite of coming from my head. 
cool.gif

Quote:
I think the opposite is true. The W60 has a punchier bass thats at a higher frequency but the 846 has extension like no other. I found that some songs sounder better on the W60 and others on the 846. The highs on the W60 can get harsh at times but it's a very clear iem. Separation and detail is great but the soundstage is not very big. The 846 seems like the sound is coming from a couple of feet away from you whereas the W60 seems like the sound is coming from your head. It took a lot of back and forth listened to decide which I liked more. Im returning the W60 and sticking with my 846.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #310 of 1,957
Both w60 and se846 bass extension is actually similar (around 25hz) But still the 846 has better bass for sure, the low pass filter which cancels unwanted bass frequencies results in the most solid bass of any BA iem. Although I've come to realise I still prefer well tuned Dynamic driver bass vs BA. But the w60 does everything else better other than bass and keep in mind the w60 bass is still excellent compared to most iems, the 846 is just the king in that respect. Also the w60s own bass suits its own presentation better, if you stuck 846 bass on the w60 it might not sound so good. The 846 goes for punchy and energetic while the w60 is smoother and more refined.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #312 of 1,957
Trance- Notice you also went for copper cable.  Do you also find it to have good synergy?  

I have repeatedly tried silver and silver litz but copper litz seems to be the king with this IEM.  The good news it is also much cheaper.

Also, I agree the SE846 Bass is unmatched for a BA iem.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #313 of 1,957
Trance- Notice you also went for copper cable.  Do you also find it to have good synergy?  

I have repeatedly tried silver and silver litz but copper litz seems to be the king with this IEM.  The good news it is also much cheaper.

I do like the copper litz, It opens up the sound, there is better seperation, ambience, texture and soundstage. The stock cable sounds a bit compressed in comparison, this makes the stock cables treble sharper, mids more nasaly and the bass more punchy, along with less seperation, ambeince, texture and soundstage.
The copper litz is a softer all round presentation, lusher treble and mids, but the bass does lose some impact and becomes a tad boomy. The copper litz is the better cable, but the synergy with the w60 results in slightly boomy bass and stock cable does bit better here, I then changed amp configs to counter for the bass bloat, and it was better than stock in every conceivable way. But honestly the stock cable is more comfy to wear and use, and has less microphonics, so overall I rate them as equal lol.

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #314 of 1,957
Yeah stock cable is good.  I removed the memory wire from my HL copper litz cable and it is nearly as comfortable as stock now.  I am going to order future cables without memory wire.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #315 of 1,957
Yeah stock cable is good.  I removed the memory wire from my HL copper litz cable and it is nearly as comfortable as stock now.  I am going to order future cables without memory wire.

Ted doesnt allow it, I asked him to build my cable without the memory wire and he said he can't because the braid of cables would unravel, as the memory wire and plastic cover is holding the tension in the braid on that end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back