Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #271 of 1,957
  It's good quality, but the Macbook's output gain is far too high, don't you think? With my 2012 rMBP, the noise floor is clearly audible and the sound becomes deafening by the time the volume level reaches about 1/4. An attenuator is definitely required.

Currently doing a bit of critical listening with the UM56 tips. I think the overall sound balance is pretty spot-on with the W60. The W4R sounds "shouty" in comparison. 

I watched Captain Phillips with the W60 fed directly from my Yamaha RX-A710 and it sounded absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately my W60 seems to have a manufacturing defect. With the braided cable, the connection on the left earpiece is loose and the audio tends to drop out as the cable moves around. The vendor is sending me a replacement cable but I think the problem is with the socket on the left earpiece. 
frown.gif

My 2014 Macbook Pro Retina (13inch) is silent with the W60. I have not heard the 2012 MBP to make any comment. My previous 2010 Macbook Pro was noisy.

Bummer to the loose connection. How did you diagnosed that it was the socket rather than the cable?

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #273 of 1,957
I have been listening to my W60 for a week now so its time to go back to the 846 for the next week.
I stand by my earlier review of the W60 and I have thorougly enjoyed this last week with a whole range of music from Boards of Canada to Rush and all stations in between.
One difference is becoming apparent and that is vocals. I think the W60 seems to smooth some vocal performances whilst the same vocals on the 846 sounds more strained but possibly more life like.
This was most notable on a Willard Grant Conspiracy album. Robert Fisher vocals are quite distinctive and I would say possibly more realistic with the 846,you can hear him struggling on some tracks to hit the notes. Whereas on the W60 it sounds calmer, still enjoyable but maybe less accurate?

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #274 of 1,957
^ I feel the same way, W60 mids are overly smooth, they lack some energy and immediacy making vocals sound too laid back some times. Other than that the W60 is pretty much perfect, I doubt there is any iem or ciem that will be perfect, but I feel the W60 gets as close to perfection as an iem could.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #275 of 1,957
I have been listening to my W60 for a week now so its time to go back to the 846 for the next week.
I stand by my earlier review of the W60 and I have thorougly enjoyed this last week with a whole range of music from Boards of Canada to Rush and all stations in between.
One difference is becoming apparent and that is vocals. I think the W60 seems to smooth some vocal performances whilst the same vocals on the 846 sounds more strained but possibly more life like.
This was most notable on a Willard Grant Conspiracy album. Robert Fisher vocals are quite distinctive and I would say possibly more realistic with the 846,you can hear him struggling on some tracks to hit the notes. Whereas on the W60 it sounds calmer, still enjoyable but maybe less accurate?

The vocals on the 846 is very forward. The quality of the vocal reproduction is excellent. However, it is this significant vocal forwardness, despite being impressive, that fatigues me after a longer listening session.

The w60 doesn't suffer from this problem as it's vocals is more in line with the other spectrum. Nothing particularly sticks out which made it seems like nothing particularly impresses.

It is not that one is better than the other. There is no perfect iem. Some would prefer the 846 while some would prefer the w60.

With that said, nice write up! :)

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #276 of 1,957
Midrange is definitely treated differently between the two.  For me, male vocals had grit, weight and oomph on the 846.  That is a function of the Shure house sound.  On the other hand, I thought the W60's handled the other spectrum of the midrange better with female vocals and so on.  I could see how that one difference amongst others might push people to one or the other iem.  I happen to like both treatments.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #277 of 1,957
i demoed the w60, es5 and es60 a few days ago.

I can say W60 is a clear enhancement from W4r, the bass is more "bouncy" and highs are a lot smoother. no more shizzzz sound and ver comfortable, yet you can hear the highs clearly.
W4r itself don't have powerful bass, but with my Cowon player, I am able to produce Can-like bass (without the pushes thought).
with the W60, the bass become more like a real drum is in front of you (again, only in the ear. Obviously no sub woofer-like push on you body)

I dare say it is better than the es5, but than again it was a demo with universal fit

I am not sure if the es60 unit i demoed was broken, the high seems way too bright compared to w60 (and it seems left side was louder ?). Anyone shares the same finding?

Cause I was aiming to get  a CIEM, just not so sure now...

well supposed there is a demo of Noble Audio Kaiser 10 coming in as well, need to test that as well.... anyone has impression on this?

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #279 of 1,957
After some more time with the W60 I can safely say it blows my W3 out of the water in every way. I previously thought that the W60 mids were overly smooth compared to the W3, and they still are smoother, but I now realise that is how the mids are meant to be. When i switched back to the W3 after a week with W60 i realised just how lifelike the W60 mids were, both male and female voices sound faultless, the W3 could not compete at all, bass through to treble the W3 sounded like a second rate iem compared to the W60.

I am pleased to say that I now have zero complaints about the W60 and am very happy i got it. I'm actually addicted to its sound and don't know if I could live without it! It truly boggles my mind that a week ago i could prefer any aspect of the W3 over the W60, actually kinda makes me realise how fallible and susceptible the mind can be.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #280 of 1,957
After some more time with the W60 I can safely say it blows my W3 out of the water in every way. I previously thought that the W60 mids were overly smooth compared to the W3, and they still are smoother, but I now realise that is how the mids are meant to be. When i switched back to the W3 after a week with W60 i realised just how lifelike the W60 mids were, both male and female voices sound faultless, the W3 could not compete at all, bass through to treble the W3 sounded like a second rate iem compared to the W60.

I am pleased to say that I now have zero complaints about the W60 and am very happy i got it. I'm actually addicted to its sound and don't know if I could live without it! It truly boggles my mind that a week ago i could prefer any aspect of the W3 over the W60, actually kinda makes me realise how fallible and susceptible the mind can be.

Agree. The mids on the W60 is a huge improvement. Even outperforming the venerable W4R on smooth mids reproduction. Vocals on W60 doesn't sound overly forward but still retaining the "bite". Both male and female vocals sound really lifelike with emotions and lusher than W4R. I believe with an aftermarket cable, the W60 will be even on another level. The stock cable with mic really doesn't do justice to it..

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #281 of 1,957
 I believe with an aftermarket cable, the W60 will be even on another level. The stock cable with mic really doesn't do justice to it..

I agree. I have the HPL Copper Litz cable which is very good with the W60.

However, I am back to using the stock mic cable as it is really convenient with my iPhone.

In case anyone is interested to pick up the Copper Litz cable from me, do drop me a PM.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #282 of 1,957
I agree. I have the HPL Copper Litz cable which is very good with the W60.

However, I am back to using the stock mic cable as it is really convenient with my iPhone.

In case anyone is interested to pick up the Copper Litz cable from me, do drop me a PM.

Care to share how does the copper litz enhance the sound?

I had HPL silver and also hybrid cable. I thought given Westone house sound it would be a better match with silver played copper or hybrid.

But thumbs up for HPL cables! :blush:

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #283 of 1,957
Care to share how does the copper litz enhance the sound?

I had HPL silver and also hybrid cable. I thought given Westone house sound it would be a better match with silver played copper or hybrid.

But thumbs up for HPL cables! :blush:

I did not get the chance to try the HPL silver litz with the W60 before. My previous experience of ES5 with silver cable is that silver cable tends to make the upper mid stick out a little too much.

Compared to the stock cable, the copper litz made the W60 more holographic. Separation is better as well. The overall sound signature that I like about the W60 is still kept intact.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #285 of 1,957
I did not get the chance to try the HPL silver litz with the W60 before. My previous experience of ES5 with silver cable is that silver cable tends to make the upper mid stick out a little too much.

Compared to the stock cable, the copper litz made the W60 more holographic. Separation is better as well. The overall sound signature that I like about the W60 is still kept intact.

Thanks for the advice! :blush: Seems like you have the cadence cable too. Will be intending to try out the cadence on W60 haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back