Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #286 of 1,957
You may know this but HPL is Ted Allen. Chris Himself was just a broker.  Ted is the man to go to if you want need cables...you get to cut out the middle man for a great price.  I think Chris may have another fabricator now but honestly I am not sure. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #287 of 1,957
After some more time with the W60 I can safely say it blows my W3 out of the water in every way. I previously thought that the W60 mids were overly smooth compared to the W3, and they still are smoother, but I now realise that is how the mids are meant to be. When i switched back to the W3 after a week with W60 i realised just how lifelike the W60 mids were, both male and female voices sound faultless, the W3 could not compete at all, bass through to treble the W3 sounded like a second rate iem compared to the W60.

I am pleased to say that I now have zero complaints about the W60 and am very happy i got it. I'm actually addicted to its sound and don't know if I could live without it! It truly boggles my mind that a week ago i could prefer any aspect of the W3 over the W60, actually kinda makes me realise how fallible and susceptible the mind can be.

I can relate to this experience.  The W60s do take a time investment to understand.  It is my opinion that it is time well spent.  Congratulations TRANCE!

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #288 of 1,957
A new tip finding.  I recently bought the Klipsch double flange tips to try out(the ones I am using for my very small ears are the 2nd ones from the right in the link below).  I did like the Westone Star tips from a comfort standpoint but felt like I gave up some sound.  I am sure that has a great deal to do with the shorter nozzle and my ear shape. With these new tips I get an absolutely perfect seal and all the comfort of my westone star tips.  If you are still bouncing between tips on your Westones, this may be worth checking out...they are cheap too.

Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-DF-SM-Medium-Replacement/dp/B00304AJTK

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #289 of 1,957
  A new tip finding.  I recently bought the Klipsch double flange tips to try out(the ones I am using for my very small ears are the 2nd ones from the right in the link below).  I did like the Westone Star tips from a comfort standpoint but felt like I gave up some sound.  I am sure that has a great deal to do with the shorter nozzle and my ear shape. With these new tips I get an absolutely perfect seal and all the comfort of my westone star tips.  If you are still bouncing between tips on your Westones, this may be worth checking out...they are cheap too.

Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-DF-SM-Medium-Replacement/dp/B00304AJTK

I just tried the W60 with the Klipsch tips (oval and double flanges).

Turned out that they were too small for my ears. Didn't manage to get a good seal.

Out of curiosity, I put on a pair of comply and I thought that it sounded pretty good on the W60. I have never liked comply, even on UM 30/50/SE846.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #290 of 1,957
Yeah they have two sizes of the Kilipsch double flange tips. Did you try the larger ones?  My ears are so small that the small ones get a perfect seal.   Sorry about the fit issue with those tips.

I have tried the comply tips and like those too.  

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #292 of 1,957
Hopefully there will be a replacement braided cable waiting for me when I get back from holiday on Friday, to see whether it solves my wonky connector problem. But it's good to know that more stock is becoming available, in case a full replacement is needed.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #293 of 1,957
I am new here.

I just got my W60 for around $850 here in Dubai. Its the last stock so the store gave me a big discount.
I used it on my Ipod classic 160gb+Fiio E17. Out of the box the sound is great but need more burning.
I listen mostly to rock, love song and techno ALAC formats. The sound stage is very good, bass is punchy, clarity is nice and very detailed. I have also sennheiser IE80 it sounds good but i like more the W60 sounding. I only notice in IE80 there is more treble than W60 but sometimes its aching in my ears.
But i think this headphone (W60) needs more burning to reach its goodness.
I have no regret in buying it even it cost me a lot of bucks and i think this might be my last IEM to purchase.

I have a plan to buy a best DAP for my two IEM's. My thoughts are FIIO X5 or Ibasso DX90.
Can someone please advise what is best between the two.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #294 of 1,957
I am new here.

I just got my W60 for around $850 here in Dubai. Its the last stock so the store gave me a big discount.
I used it on my Ipod classic 160gb+Fiio E17. Out of the box the sound is great but need more burning.
I listen mostly to rock, love song and techno ALAC formats. The sound stage is very good, bass is punchy, clarity is nice and very detailed. I have also sennheiser IE80 it sounds good but i like more the W60 sounding. I only notice in IE80 there is more treble than W60 but sometimes its aching in my ears.
But i think this headphone (W60) needs more burning to reach its goodness.
I have no regret in buying it even it cost me a lot of bucks and i think this might be my last IEM to purchase.

I have a plan to buy a best DAP for the my two IEM's. My thoughts are FIIO X5 or Ibasso DX90.
Can someone please advise what is best between the two.

You should audition both but I find the DX90 vastly superior to the X5 both in terms of the user interface and sound quality.
Its more expensive but I do rate the Sony Nwz-zx1.
Alas once the audio bug bites these will not be the last IEM you buy.

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #295 of 1,957
DX90 is the way to go, has very impactful yet balanced sound. The DX90 is the most natural also, the only thing the ZX1 does better is speed and soundstage, but the DX90 has better bass body, smoother treble and much more coherent sound resulting in more natural detail. ZX1 sounds rather digital. X5 is a more coloured sound, while DX90 remains very neutral. In the end they are all good daps that will suit different peoples tastes in sound, but in my opinion if you take out sound preference the DX90 is easily the most technically superior sound.

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #296 of 1,957
I just noticed the "W" printed on the copper plate of my W60 is fading away.  It seems the printing on the copper toned metal does not last.  Not that I really care, but was wondering if others are seeing the same thing?

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #297 of 1,957
  I just noticed the "W" printed on the copper plate of my W60 is fading away.  It seems the printing on the copper toned metal does not last.  Not that I really care, but was wondering if others are seeing the same thing?

the demo unit at a store i frequent has had the same thing happen. I think it occurs more frequently on the 'matte' finish plates, I havent noticed it happening on the blue/red gloss from other models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back