Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #872 of 1,957
  Can save some cash from an unauthorized dealer like me, I can do deals on most westone models:

W40's $399 shipped.
UM Pro 50's $549 shipped.
W60's $799 shipped.

Those are great prices if the only problem you ever gonna see is related to replacement cable.  But Westone is very strict about unauthorized dealers, and they will not service it (and that goes for MassDrop as well)...

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #873 of 1,957
Can save some cash from an unauthorized dealer like me, I can do deals on most westone models:

W40's $399 shipped.
UM Pro 50's $549 shipped.
W60's $799 shipped.

Well, I got a coupon for 20% Off for "Live Soundwave". So I used it for the W60. Seeing as they said that they are a Westone authorized retailer, I decided that it was best to shoot the gun.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #874 of 1,957
Those are great prices if the only problem you ever gonna see is related to replacement cable.  But Westone is very strict about unauthorized dealers, and they will not service it (and that goes for MassDrop as well)...

I wish Westone had a representative here so I could ask them if Live Soundwave is one of their authorized retailers. While I do trust the company, I like to hear it straight from Westone.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #875 of 1,957

I wish Westone had a representative here so I could ask them if Live Soundwave is one of their authorized retailers. While I do trust the company, I like to hear it straight from Westone.

I work close with Westone (just like with any company whose products I review on head-fi); will ask and let you know!

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #877 of 1,957
The frequency response and impedance graph has recently been published by Goldenears Korea. Interestingly, there is a hump in the 5 - 8K region for the impedance graph (possible compensation for the frequency dip with high output-impedance devices?
biggrin.gif
):

31f91925b8b424d1f1fce78e7ba5d91f.png

​

abbf8df19562f960d454c0048fd93da1.png

fab19cc5932126953769278173b991ad.png

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #878 of 1,957
Been getting quite bored on my modified W4's lately. Read in the initial review that this headphone seems to be an improvement over the W4/W40's. Not only that, my pair have been through the washer and drying twice now.... (still kicking!!!) However, think it might be time to replace them with something newer. Any more opinions on comparing the two?

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #879 of 1,957
I used to have W4R long time ago. The difference between W60 and W4 is night and day. W60 is miles ahead in every aspect. My favorite universal out of everything I owned before including 3003, 846, FAD Lab1 and many others.

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #880 of 1,957
  I used to have W4R long time ago. The difference between W60 and W4 is night and day. W60 is miles ahead in every aspect. My favorite universal out of everything I owned before including 3003, 846, FAD Lab1 and many others.

having K3003 (and really liking it) but w60 is definitely on my 'want to try' iems

unlike other hyped/overated iems like 846 , w60 seems like a great balanced iem

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #881 of 1,957

having K3003 (and really liking it) but w60 is definitely on my 'want to try' iems

unlike other hyped/overated iems like 846 , w60 seems like a great balanced iem

Me too, this is why I sell my 846 to give a shot/try to the W60 too. The only thing I'm curious to try too, are the AKG K3003, but, I hated the ie800 due to treble extension, so pretty sure that the treble on the AKG will not be for me too anyway. I must admit, 846 have a lot a lot of speed/impact on rock (progressive rock in my case), a very "fun" IEMs, sometimes, I'm asking if I'll not keep them
cool.gif
 Ho well, trying mad addiction is a real pain sometimes, but so fun too.

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #882 of 1,957
Anyone here knows I adore the W60 and honestly believe it may be the most underrated universal IEM on this forum.

However, if prog rock is your game, I highly suggest you look towards the K10.  To me the K10 is like a 10 or 1146.  It has Shure's directional tuning but improved in every regard.  The midrange, while fun is less forward and the treble extends further.  Congestion from SE846 is also absent.  Thanks to a friend here, I listen to prog but am picky and only like the very best like steven wilson, porcupine tree, and a few others.  

However, if acoustic and female vocals were all I listened too, the W60 would be hard to pass up.  I have said it many times that if Jude or another video blogger gave this IEM a fair demo it would hit much bigger status.  It is underrated and a real gem.

Cheers!

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #883 of 1,957
  Anyone here knows I adore the W60 and honestly believe it may be the most underrated universal IEM on this forum.

However, if prog rock is your game, I highly suggest you look towards the K10.  To me the K10 is like a 10 or 1146.  It has Shure's directional tuning but improved in every regard.  The midrange, while fun is less forward and the treble extends further.  Congestion from SE846 is also absent.  Thanks to a friend here, I listen to prog but am picky and only like the very best like steven wilson, porcupine tree, and a few others.  

However, if acoustic and female vocals were all I listened too, the W60 would be hard to pass up.  I have said it many times that if Jude or another video blogger gave this IEM a fair demo it would hit much bigger status.  It is underrated and a real gem.

Cheers!

So are you saying that for the prog rock sort of stuff the w60 isn't really suitable then?

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #884 of 1,957
A really nice triple BA I bought a few weeks ago is the Fischer TBA-04, quite neutral. Not for bass heads, but consider that I only listen to EDM and I still like these, but I just like neutral sound, even for EDM, these are so neutral they can easily do any genre with ease (though one must still value neutral sound to appreciate these regardless of genre).

TBA-04 is more neutral than the W30, but if you like more of a 'fun' sound that is still well balanced, then the W30 will satisfy. UM Pro 30 is almost neutral, the bass and mids are similar to TBA-04, but the treble on the UM Pro 30 are slightly recessed for a smoother presentation. Then there is the W60 which has a very seductive sound and a higher quality sound rendition than these triple BA's, (due to the 3x dual BA's in W60), but imo W60 still doesn't have the versatility of these triple BA iems, because W60 is just too glossy and warm sounding for me. Don't underestimate the triple BA's!

My dream iem would be an iem with small housings like the TBA-04 or Westone's and with 6 BA (3x dual BA's like W60), but instead with a neutral. Btw, the TBA-04 housing is really small and comfy like the westone's.

Anyway check out the FR graph on these Fischer TBA-04:

Westone UM Pro 30 FR graph:

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #885 of 1,957

W60 is suitable for prog.  Did not mean to steer you wrong.  It is just that the SE846 forward mids and impactful bass can deliver a fun listening experience with the slow builds that Prog rock delivers.    However, I preferred the W60 overall to the SE846.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back