Westone W60 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #721 of 1,957
The build on Westone IEMs is first rate crap when you consider the price.  The SE846 is miles better with build quality.  

That being said, I may buy the W60 again.  The upper mids and treble presentation are sublime.  My K10s do pretty much everything aces but don't quite perform like the W60 up top (the K10's are a definite upgrade though so don't read me wrong).  With the K10s, I definitely do not miss my SE846 as they are effectively the SE1246.  The W60 is different though.  

In conclusion, build quality is rubbish but the sound is special. 

May 9, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #722 of 1,957
  The build on Westone IEMs is first rate crap when you consider the price.  The SE846 is miles better with build quality.  

That being said, I may buy the W60 again.  The upper mids and treble presentation are sublime.  My K10s do pretty much everything aces but don't quite perform like the W60 up top (the K10's are a definite upgrade though so don't read me wrong).  With the K10s, I definitely do not miss my SE846 as they are effectively the SE1246.  The W60 is different though.  

When you consider that the "build" of the 846 makes it heavy and uncomfortable compared to the W60, I'd rather have what you call "crap". 

May 9, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #723 of 1,957
I agree about the build..I mean it's pretty much the same as the rest of the 'W'line (which already isnt anything to scream about) but with shinier plastic face plates.I mean for the flagship you think they might've put a bit more effort into it. SQ...that's a different story. I'm totally enthralled with the sound signature.

May 9, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #724 of 1,957

When you consider that the "build" of the 846 makes it heavy and uncomfortable compared to the W60, I'd rather have what you call "crap". 

Agreed. Sold my SE846 after 3 months. Was never able to get a comfortable fit (too heavy, stiff cable), so I ended up just using it at home most of the time. The W60 on the other hand is miles more comfortable. Build quality isn't the best but they're much lighter and smaller and thus sit flush in my ears. Personally I also prefer the sound of the W60.

May 9, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #725 of 1,957

Very interesting. Could you share some more thoughts on W60 vs K10 (e.g. soundstage, clarity, instrument separation, musicality, smoothness, bass)? Demoed the W60 and really liked what I heard. Haven't heard the K10's yet but I'm very interested. 

May 11, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #728 of 1,957

Agreed. Sold my SE846 after 3 months. Was never able to get a comfortable fit (too heavy, stiff cable), so I ended up just using it at home most of the time. The W60 on the other hand is miles more comfortable. Build quality isn't the best but they're much lighter and smaller and thus sit flush in my ears. Personally I also prefer the sound of the W60.

And how about W60 vs FX850?

Sorry, wrong thread. lol. I thought I was on the FX850 thread. But would be interesting to know ; )

May 11, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #729 of 1,957

Same happened to me with the Audiofly AF180. Noble Audio have really good build quality, but I'm yet to find an IEM that looks as much as you paid for it without being custom.

May 12, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #730 of 1,957

No, I actually think you are wrong there and that's the ironic thing about it.  SE846....built like a tank, could jump rope with the cables.....it's just so tough and robust.

And I guess that's what someone might want if you beat the living crap out of your IEM's and treat them like dog ****.

But there were tons of problems with Shure's version of MMX cable and static and shorting out.  Still don't think I have ever heard even one problem with Westone's version.
Shures  housing is un-Godly uncomfortable vesus Westone's period.  My Westone still looks like the day I bought it.  Do to its application, it just doesn't get much abuse. It would be like having the turn signal on your car made of titanium with steel rods.  Who cares??   Is it really necessary?

May 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #731 of 1,957
I hear you Spyro.  I maintain my opinion but recognize it is just that..an opinion.

Here is what I mean-

1.  Housing- Rough seems in the iem and plastic nozzles with W60.  Smooth acrylic IEM with metal nozzle with SE846.  The SE846 does feel more premium and not just rugged.

2.  Cable-  Yeah the SE846 does feel more robust but I actually prefer the comfort of the Westone epic cable if I was going to use stock cables.  The cable on the westone is just fine.  Thankfully I had silver/copper litz balanced cables for both.

3.  The shell on the W60- the copper, red, silver and etc... shells that look metallic are thin plastic and do crack.  Westone is good enough to send a replacement but if you have ever had one crack it is amazing how thin they are.  Also, the "w" on these shells does wear off quite easily.

4.  The seam that looks like a crack.  Westone says it is intentional but it does look like a body panel gap that is not even on a car.  There is no reason for this gap to be there.

All this being said, I would still repurchase the W60 before the SE846 based on my taste.  The fit/finish is not up to the level I would like to see but the sound is very good.  Regarding fit, the insertion angles of the nozzles are different between the two.  The SE846 actually fit me better.  I expect that people cross shopping both should try them both out and see which is more comfortable.  For me, customs proved to be the best solution.

Hope this clarifies why I feel the way I do.  Again, prefer the W60 based on sound and would recommend it overall.

May 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #732 of 1,957

How would you compare the two side by side for each category? Soundstage, bass, mids, highs, imaging, clarity, resolution, blah blah, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a W60 or SE846 fairly soon and see lots of chatter about them side by side but still looking for as much info as possible and input. Thanks!

May 13, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #733 of 1,957
Try the very first post on this thread.  I touch on it.  

Best advice I can give, demo both.  They sound different enough that you will prefer one almost instantly.  No amount of reviews will tell you more than a demo.  Most airports have both available for demo if you travel.

Good luck!

May 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #734 of 1,957
  Try the very first post on this thread.  I touch on it.  

Best advice I can give, demo both.  They sound different enough that you will prefer one almost instantly.  No amount of reviews will tell you more than a demo.  Most airports have both available for demo if you travel.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, I'm not a traveler.. I'll likely give the SE846's a try. I've had them before about a year ago for a short while but ended up trading them for some LCD2's. Glad I did tho cause now I have the LCDX's which are my all time favorite music delivery method without question. Looking at the freq charts it seems that the LCDX and SE846 have pretty similar responses with there being a slight sparkle cut off on the SE846's. I remember needing to add a bit of top end treble to make them sparkle a little bit more but everything else was amazing. 

I just wonder how the W60's. I've heard the UM Pro 50's and they were amazing but not my sound sig. I found the lower mids to be too muddy for my tastes. Plus I just couldn't get over the soundstage. The W40's I tried even longer time ago were better but my tastes have changed a bit since then so I really can't trust my memory. I do remember the soundstage was awesome. Nice and wide. I think they were a little thick but the sparkle was right where it needed to be. 

I do remember on the SE846's being able to hear instruments I never noticed but the comfort was an issue. I plan on grabbing a Westone UM cable and using some Westone tips that I didn't have before to get a more comfortable fit. Most of my issues with the SE846 was with the cable and stock tips. 

EDIT: I do remember the UM Pro 50's being absolutely jaw dropping for acoustic and EDM and other similar styles. For rock and metal though it got too congested and the thick lower mid couldn't keep up. I could EQ it out but it still wanted to play thick mids and it only made the soundstage worse. 

May 13, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #735 of 1,957
Headphone solutions has a great return policy.  Just be sure to get it in e-mail first as insurance on purchase/return.  Since you have already own the SE846, you might want to demo the W60 from earphone solutions or some other very reputable dealer.  Obviously, I would only do this if there was a strong chance I would keep them.  One other point, the W60 does give more of the sparkle I get from my Audeze phones vs. the SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back