Westone W4R and bass
Nov 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Scott2578

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at getting the W4R todays, as earphonesolutions has extended their sale to today. Question is how much bass do the actually have, I am using the headphones that came with my Samsung Galaxy S3, and the bass is not the best, but its loud enough in those terms. I listen to alot of variety of music, but love trance, but also alot of female vocals where the W4rs shine of what I heard. If they have alot less bass as in loudness than the Galaxy S3s, would a headphone amp help boost the bass.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 19
The W4R are great for all genres music and they offers good bass response (they are not for bassheads but bass is still pretty good).

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 19
If you are looking at the W4 on earphonesolutions, I suggest considering the PFE232 as well. The PFE232 does bass justice better from experience and the PFE232 is a more "fun" sounding IEM IMO. Not sure if the Mic works with Android devices, but either way you get two cables included with the PFE232. The W4 sounded very good for me, but it seemed to be lacking the "fun" factor for me. The UM2 sounds better in that aspect.

This might offend some W4 owners, but what the W4 to me is an awkward balance of analtyical and fun. It CAN do both, but it doesn't do either brilliantly.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 19
Mid-bass hump (3-4dB, adds to the warmth and the thickness in the mids), very good and clear sub-bass extension. Just a really good bass response overall speaking in terms of technical proficiency. These aren't flat, but boy they sure needn't be. 

If the amp itself has a hardware bass EQ (like the E11), that would help boost the bass. Don't expect a typical amp to change the signature too much. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
If you are looking at the W4 on earphonesolutions, I suggest considering the PFE232 as well. The PFE232 does bass justice better from experience and the PFE232 is a more "fun" sounding IEM IMO. Not sure if the Mic works with Android devices, but either way you get two cables included with the PFE232. The W4 sounded very good for me, but it seemed to be lacking the "fun" factor for me. The UM2 sounds better in that aspect.

This might offend some W4 owners, but what the W4 to me is an awkward balance of analtyical and fun. It CAN do both, but it doesn't do either brilliantly.

Boooo. Won't let you listen to the W4s anymore. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
Boooo. Won't let you listen to the W4s anymore. 

Hahaha you should know me by now. I'm straight up and honest 
biggrin.gif

If it was either more analytic or fun I would buy the W4 in a heartbeat, but it just sounds a little awkward for me.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Hahaha you should know me by now. I'm straight up and honest 
biggrin.gif

If it was either more analytic or fun I would buy the W4 in a heartbeat, but it just sounds a little awkward for me.

Gonna bring a crapload of tips next time just to prove you wrong. The Complys and biflange definitely bring out the fun. Shure Grey Flex and bullet tips bring that treble detail out man. 

I'll admit your PFE232 are more technically proficient in the treble though 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Gonna bring a crapload of tips next time just to prove you wrong. The Complys and biflange definitely bring out the fun. Shure Grey Flex and bullet tips bring that treble detail out man. 

I'll admit your PFE232 are more technically proficient in the treble though 
rolleyes.gif

I'll be waiting till Saturday 
biggrin.gif

Treble AND bass 
biggrin.gif
... and comfort... and functionality (iphone mic and controls)... 
etysmile.gif
 I'll stop now

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I'll be waiting till Saturday 
biggrin.gif

Treble AND bass 
biggrin.gif
... and comfort... and functionality (iphone mic and controls)... 
etysmile.gif
 I'll stop now

Also 100 more, don't forget to tell him that. Even with the Earphonesolution coupon....

Psss, don't let planx trick you into the Phonak side! The W4s do do really well for female vocals!

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Also 100 more, don't forget to tell him that. Even with the Earphonesolution coupon....

Psss, don't let planx trick you into the Phonak side! The W4s do do really well for female vocals!

If price isn't a massive issue, the PFE232 is a stellar IEM. People usually get scared off by the unusually high price tag but you do get what you pay for.

Tricking?! Blasphemy! I only give honest advice! Also the Earsonics SM3v2 is another alternative if you really want to be satisfied in the bass department. Or you can call it a day with a CIEM 
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

If price isn't a massive issue, the PFE232 is a stellar IEM. People usually get scared off by the unusually high price tag but you do get what you pay for.

Tricking?! Blasphemy! I only give honest advice! Also the Earsonics SM3v2 is another alternative if you really want to be satisfied in the bass department. Or you can call it a day with a CIEM 
biggrin.gif

OP, regarding the CIEMs, the 1964Ears seem to have some well-received bassy entry levels that might be worth looking at. Hits at the same price range as the PFE232/W4. 

The SM3 were very good! Honestly, better than the UM3X by far. Female vocals are great, like on the W4. The W4 are a bit sweeter sounding though. Don't know how you'd like that. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanks for the replies. Something came up yesterday where I wasnt able to order them while they were on sale. And I called every inmotion store in Atlanta, and they have none left. So I will have to wait and order when they go back on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back