Westone w40 short review, includes pictures.
Feb 27, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #106 of 270
Yea, I will definitely pick up some extra tips, but I suppose it's a good time for me to try some of the other tips. Never switched the original ones as I didn't feel I had anything else to gain. They were comfortable and provided great isolation for my office (cube farm) environment. I had been cleaning with small alcohol wipes, but should have to so more frequently. But I have also experienced the silicone tip staying in there ear when I remove the IEM. This happens especially if you pull them out at an angle. :p

Meanwhile the apple earbuds are hurting my ears and making me depressed lol. At least I had a backup plan lol.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #107 of 270
Not necessarily a bad thing having to use Apple earbuds for a while. It reaffirms the knowledge that the money spent on proper phones REALLY is worthwhile!!

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #112 of 270
you know what i believe your right, thanks for shutting me up lol 
biggrin.gif
 dont know what i was thinking

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #113 of 270
That's what I've heard with my W4R's (my son now has them) and W40's plus they changed the connector as well.

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #114 of 270
  Is there difference between W4R and W40?

Absolutely and if Westone told anyone otherwise that is  errant.  They told me there were changes (years back)  but were vague about it.

W40 certainly adds more bass and it's obvious.  But the added bass I hear is mid bass so it seemed to shrink the soundstage a bit to my ears.  Had they added lower bass it would have been outstanding....oh...but they needed to come out with W60 for that change.

Bottom line:   W40 has more bass but old version W4 has larger soundstage and may sound a little more transparent and resolving (without the mid bass boost).  Whether W40 is an "improvement" over W4 is up to individual preference.

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #116 of 270
I see,but I think w4r's soundstage is not big too. Or I want to say,w4r's soundstage is small. The best thing I heard from W4r is its medium.

hmm it must be the rigs we are listening to out of because it feel the W4r 's  sound stage and overall sound is big and up in your face imo anywhere from medium or small, but again it must be our rigs

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #117 of 270
Thankyou all for your thoughts and comments on my review. As you can probably tell i visit head fi very very sparingly these days due to commitments to work and kids and wife :)

Just an update, i recently sold the w40, in this never ending quest to find my perfect in ear monitors i had no choice. Due to a promise i made to my other half a long whilr back i made the choice to give up on this hobby and remove headphones from my life... That is besides one pair which my wife has agreed to let me have as this " is normal ".

Yeh, right, so... Im on the market for another pair, must be universal as it becomes a habit to upgrade on occasion. The question is westone w60 or shure se846. I can buy only one but those are realistic options for me.

I enjoyed the w40 very much but it was very audible to me it lacked some depth and extension down low, everything else was right on the money for me, so any input guys will be much appreciated

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #118 of 270
Thankyou all for your thoughts and comments on my review. As you can probably tell i visit head fi very very sparingly these days due to commitments to work and kids and wife
smily_headphones1.gif

Just an update, i recently sold the w40, in this never ending quest to find my perfect in ear monitors i had no choice. Due to a promise i made to my other half a long whilr back i made the choice to give up on this hobby and remove headphones from my life... That is besides one pair which my wife has agreed to let me have as this " is normal ".

Yeh, right, so... Im on the market for another pair, must be universal as it becomes a habit to upgrade on occasion. The question is westone w60 or shure se846. I can buy only one but those are realistic options for me.

I enjoyed the w40 very much but it was very audible to me it lacked some depth and extension down low, everything else was right on the money for me, so any input guys will be much appreciated

then try the W60 you will find the difference is astonishing yet keeping the same W40 signature...

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #119 of 270
Thankyou all for your thoughts and comments on my review. As you can probably tell i visit head fi very very sparingly these days due to commitments to work and kids and wife
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree absolutely with the previous poster - if you love the sound signature of the W40, then you should definitely audition the W60 as it is everything the 40 is, but more.  Better defined bass with more extension, but nowhere near as bloated as the W50, with a well projected midrange and extended treble.  I find the W60 a bit 'glinty' in the treble but that's my own preference.  

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #120 of 270
Before I buy, I wanna confirm something
So most of you prefer the W30 than the W40 because of its 'airiness'?

Also, which one has good clarity and more bass? Wondering if the $100+ is worth it. Using The Fiio X1 as source, listen to mostly electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back