Westone w40 short review, includes pictures.
Jan 5, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #46 of 270
I use mine every day and it gets tossed in the car and has been sat on a couple times but the vault still looks and works like brand new. If you've had an issue you could always just buy another or get an even sturdier small Otter box...I bought an Otter Box 1000 just for that purpose but haven't needed it thus far. There's also the S3 T1000 ($9.95) that's a tad smaller than the Otter Box 1000 and has padding inside.  

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #47 of 270
  I use mine every day and it gets tossed in the car and has been sat on a couple times but the vault still looks and works like brand new. If you've had an issue you could always just buy another or get an even sturdier small Otter box...I bought an Otter Box 1000 just for that purpose but haven't needed it thus far. There's also the S3 T1000 ($9.95) that's a tad smaller than the Otter Box 1000 and has padding inside.  

You have the monitor vault II right? I really like the size of this case, looks like I'll be ordering one. But its gonna take ages for it arrive here. Anyway thanks for your input.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #48 of 270
  You have the monitor vault II right? I really like the size of this case, looks like I'll be ordering one. But its gonna take ages for it arrive here. Anyway thanks for your input.

I'm not sure if it's the Vault II or not, its the one that comes with the W40's. On the side of the Westone box, it simply says monitor vault. I like it a lot and it's served me well but I did just order the S3 T1000 case from Amazon which will give me a little more room and it also comes with the padding inside like the Westone vault. Tomorrow I can take a pic of the W40's case and post it, I'm not sure how to tell if it's the first or second monitor vault. It seems very sturdy and has held up extremely well, I'd simply like a tad more room so that I wouldn't need to wrap up the W40's so tight to fit inside.  

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #49 of 270

I'm not sure if it's the Vault II or not, its the one that comes with the W40's. On the side of the Westone box, it simply says monitor vault. I like it a lot and it's served me well but I did just order the S3 T1000 case from Amazon which will give me a little more room and it also comes with the padding inside like the Westone vault. Tomorrow I can take a pic of the W40's case and post it, I'm not sure how to tell if it's the first or second monitor vault. It seems very sturdy and has held up extremely well, I'd simply like a tad more room so that I wouldn't need to wrap up the W40's so tight to fit inside.  

I'm pretty sure its the Vault II since they are bundled on the newer W line I've been holding out on ordering it since I can't find any reference on its durability given the clasp on the original vault is brittle (thus susceptible to cracking/breaking). Also its not available here in Asia so shipping from US is not exactly fast nor cheap.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #51 of 270
If anyone out there is interested, I happened upon a W40 deal. Sonic Electronix (Westone authorized dealer) has a "make offer" button on some of its products, including W40, to buy at discounted price. I ordered a pair for $400 last night, no tax & free shipping. 20% seems about the biggest discount they will accept. So you can get a W40 for the price of a W30. Other Westones have the make offer button, but not all. Some other brands also.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_80069_Westone-W40.html

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #52 of 270
If anyone out there is interested, I happened upon a W40 deal. Sonic Electronix (Westone authorized dealer) has a "make offer" button on some of its products, including W40, to buy at discounted price. I ordered a pair for $400 last night, no tax & free shipping. 20% seems about the biggest discount they will accept. So you can get a W40 for the price of a W30. Other Westones have the make offer button, but not all. Some other brands also.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_80069_Westone-W40.html

They'll go as low as $365.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #53 of 270
I saw a coupon last year from them for $350. I was debating over waiting 24 hours and trying again, but then checked some of the other ones and they were 20%. Oh well -- still way better than $500. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #54 of 270
I saw a coupon last year from them for $350. I was debating over waiting 24 hours and trying again, but then checked some of the other ones and they were 20%. Oh well -- still way better than $500. :D

Call them, they'll adjust it. They are super nice.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #56 of 270

I just called them, and $365 it is! What a great co. And big thanks for the tip!!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Awesome!!!  I have been thinking about ditching my UMPro30s but I must sell them first before pulling the trigger on this deal. I missed the $350 deal last year too and they have never offered it again.  But than again I think they only had 1 pair in stock.  Enjoy.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #57 of 270
I was lucky enough to pay full retail ($499) for mine but then I use them every day, more than any of my full-size headphones so that helps me justify the price...of course one can spend far more on IEM's. I love mine, my oldest son borrowed my 4R's so I gave up on getting them back and bought the W40's. I use them with the fiiO X3 and E12A and it makes for a nice combination. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #58 of 270
  I was lucky enough to pay full retail ($499) for mine but then I use them every day, more than any of my full-size headphones so that helps me justify the price...of course one can spend far more on IEM's. I love mine, my oldest son borrowed my 4R's so I gave up on getting them back and bought the W40's. I use them with the fiiO X3 and E12A and it makes for a nice combination. 

moral of the story....dont have kids

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #59 of 270

moral of the story....dont have kids

Nah, I simply get to introduce a new generation on to the incredible power of music and in return I get to see that look in their eye when they hear a song or piece of music that truly moves them. That's certainly worth a pair of IEM's. 
biggrin.gif
 Actually my oldest went to college on Music scholarship so I've been able to hear thousands upon thousands of hours of live acoustic bass, guitar and some piano played right in front of me which has allowed to know what "it should" sound like through my system. I'm very lucky in that I know that I've had the better end of then deal. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #60 of 270

I've been able to hear thousands upon thousands of hours of live acoustic bass, guitar and some piano played right in front of me which has allowed to know what "it should" sound like through my system.

There is really nothing to compare with that. I played trumpet when I was younger, and was "up close and personal" for years with pretty much every western instrument that exists. I've returned more headphones because "that's not what it's supposed to sound like" than any other reason. Which is good and bad, I guess. As they say, innocence is bliss. Or in the world of headphones, innocence would be a helluva lot cheaper. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back