Westone w40 short review, includes pictures.
Sep 25, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #31 of 270
Perhaps it was a poor recording? Just an idea. I'm guessing the W40s will be more revealing of that sort of thing.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #33 of 270
Perhaps it was a poor recording? Just an idea. I'm guessing the W40s will be more revealing of that sort of thing.

Don't think you read my post properly. With my W3s the vocals were front and centre. With the W40s Bon's voice recedes into the background very noticably.

Anyhoo, the issue with balance were as I thought and due purely to the seal on the left. Once I'd swapped to some Comply pros everything was as it should be.

Man these are supremely detailed. They're making me grin a lot!

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #34 of 270
I've posted elsewhere but want to get as many opinions on this as possible so also posting here.
I've owned W3 and W4 and preferred W4. Now its time to replace the broken W4, so trying to decide between W30 and W40.

I listen to a pretty wide range of music, but in order of frequency and preference I'd say the list is:

-Latin- salsa (lots of percussion), latin rock, etc.
-Singer/songwriter acoustic (Jack Johnson, Jose Gonzalez)
-Hip-hop (De La Sol, Lupe Fiasco, Gangstarr)
-Electronic (Gramatik, Gotan Project)
-Rock (Sting, Led Zeppelin, Norah Jones)

Which do you suggest, W30 or W40?

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #36 of 270
I haven't heard the W30's, but I use the W40's just about every day and I've been extremely pleased with them. They scale pretty well and sound better with my office or home gear than my portable setup though they do sound very nice with the portable gear (X3 and E12 ). I've only used them with 16 and 24 bit material so I can't say if they sound lacking if used with lower quality MP3's. I've never regretted buying them and will often use them in place of my full-sized headphones. Good luck.  

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #37 of 270
  I've posted elsewhere but want to get as many opinions on this as possible so also posting here.
I've owned W3 and W4 and preferred W4. Now its time to replace the broken W4, so trying to decide between W30 and W40.

I listen to a pretty wide range of music, but in order of frequency and preference I'd say the list is:

-Latin- salsa (lots of percussion), latin rock, etc.
-Singer/songwriter acoustic (Jack Johnson, Jose Gonzalez)
-Hip-hop (De La Sol, Lupe Fiasco, Gangstarr)
-Electronic (Gramatik, Gotan Project)
-Rock (Sting, Led Zeppelin, Norah Jones)

Which do you suggest, W30 or W40?

The only difference between W4 and W40 is more bass with W40 but soundstage is a little smaller.  W30 is just like W40 but with a slightly brighter airier sound.  I had both at the same time.  W30 rocks!

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #38 of 270

The only difference between W4 and W40 is more bass with W40 but soundstage is a little smaller.  W30 is just like W40 but with a slightly brighter airier sound.  I had both at the same time.  W30 rocks!

Thanks for the reply! I found the W3 bass kind of loose and boomy, vs. the W4 which was a lot more controlled and tight. If the W40 is just like the W4, then you must believe the W30 has evolved vs. the W3, no?

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #40 of 270
Anyone can answer if UM PRO 30 and W40 fit the same? And which one has wider sound stage?

Like the sound of UM PRO 30 but feel like the sound stage is little bit limited.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #42 of 270
How about the build quality? I got UM PRO 30 yesterday and have heard little buzz on the left earpiece three times. I guess mine is defect, but anyone experience similar problem with W40? or even any Westone products?

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #44 of 270
  How is the durability new monitor vault II of the W series? Does the clasp still cracks easily? 

Mine is still new in the box, but it doesn't come across as durable when I fiddled with it.

I like the old black zipper crush resistant pouch more since it's smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back