Westone UM3X Vs Westone 4R (Your review)
Mar 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #31 of 67
Will the UM3X get fatiguing when you listen to it for hours? I'm quite conflicted because based on comments here on head-fi it seems like UM3X would suit me more but then I read that the soundstage can make you feel sort of claustrophobic because it's too enclosed at times. I do like the W4's build better than the UM3X though. Also, I forgot to mention, I'm not into a lot of bass but I'd prefer a bit more bass than the W2's. In terms of indie pop music and kpop, which of the two do you think makes the music feel more alive?

Nope. The UM3X is a non-fatiguing IEM. IMO, the build on UM3X seems better than the W4. The housing of UM3X is smaller allowing for a better fit. Also, the nozzle of UM3X is longer providing a better isolation. I do experience isolation problem on W4 as the nozzle is too short for me. Also, the W4 is very tip dependent. Different tips you use changes the sound of W4. The soundstage of UM3X does make you feel closed in at times but not to the extent of claustrophobic. It really depends on your personal preference. Best is audition both before making a decision. Both does indie and Kpop well. It's more to a different sound signature. If you prefer vocals more, for example the singer singing right in front of you, go for UM3X. It will not disappoint you and even brings along supreme instrument separation. If you prefer your music to be more laid back, relax and with good vocals as well as instrument separation, go for W4. However do note that there's a slight veil hindering the clarity of W4 in the lower mid region at least that's for me.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #34 of 67
Nope. The UM3X is a non-fatiguing IEM. IMO, the build on UM3X seems better than the W4. The housing of UM3X is smaller allowing for a better fit. Also, the nozzle of UM3X is longer providing a better isolation. I do experience isolation problem on W4 as the nozzle is too short for me. Also, the W4 is very tip dependent. Different tips you use changes the sound of W4. The soundstage of UM3X does make you feel closed in at times but not to the extent of claustrophobic. It really depends on your personal preference. Best is audition both before making a decision. Both does indie and Kpop well. It's more to a different sound signature. If you prefer vocals more, for example the singer singing right in front of you, go for UM3X. It will not disappoint you and even brings along supreme instrument separation. If you prefer your music to be more laid back, relax and with good vocals as well as instrument separation, go for W4. However do note that there's a slight veil hindering the clarity of W4 in the lower mid region at least that's for me.

Yes that does make sense.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

EXACTLY.  Plus UM3X bass weight is heavier with more slam.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #37 of 67
What songs do you usually listen to? What exactly about the W4 do you prefer over UM3X? :) Also, I don't plan on using an amp so would it matter which one I should go with?

My genre of music ranges from kpop, pop, mandopop, rock, jazz, classical rock, classical to string instruments. I'm using without an amp too. But pairing with J3. I've tried on different DAP before including iPod touch and creative. IMO, I find the W4 harder to drive. However J3 with some EQ is able to drive the W4 decently.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #38 of 67
W4R is harder to drive, but I prefer the soundstage. It's much wider and more airy. I have loved UM3X though. Both are great IEMs

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Honestly, after a few months of using the UM3X. It really does have better sound isolation, but just a bit. I still prefer the W4's housing, as it was more comfortable for my ears (personal preference and depends on your ears anyway). The UM3X responds well with all the provided tips while the W4 was a lot more picky. While the instrument separation is great on the UM3X, i do miss the wider soundstage of the W4. The only thing I feel the UM3X is lacking is the high region. Easily corrected by amping up the highs, it's a little recessed, but not bothersome. If the W4 had the same amount of Bass the UM3X has, it'll be perfect. But vocals on the UM3X are really nice, nevertheless. Plus, most of my musics that has string instruments have more umph in it, lol. Just a saying.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #40 of 67
i just purchased the westone 4r with a btg audio sunrise cable. i am awaiting them this thread has got me very eager to hear them. i hope i like them, i've had the shure se535-ltd-j asian edition. so im hoping these live up to the sound quality of the 535's

i am going to be using the westone 4r with the btg audio sunrise cable/ALO audio pure silver solid 20 awg LOD/ipod touch 3g/jds labs c421 8620

the um3x were never really on my radar as i prefer more of a audiophile grade earphone which is what the from reviews ive read 4/4r represents

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #41 of 67
Quote:
Hi guys, I currently have a W2 and I want to know which one between the UM3X and the W4 would be a better upgrade. I listen mostly to pop, k-pop, acoustic, rock, country music, and almost 80% of my songs are female vocals. I think vocals, clarity, instrument separation, and neutral presentation are the most important factors for me. I don't want the vocals to sound muddled. Considering I've only listened to the W2, which one do you think would suit my preference more?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you talking about UPgrade, go with W4 then!  Both UM3x & W4 great iem!

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:
Alright, thanks for your insights! I'll try to audition them next time.
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally, which one do you prefer between the two?

After reading comments... Choice It's clear!  UM3x!

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #44 of 67
And my UM3X, to me, are simply the bee's knees :p. but honestly I can't say they're better than the W4R because I don't have those. Even then, I think it's really just personal taste. Yeah, I know, duh.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #45 of 67
Tried both W4R and UM3x. As mentioned by some members, it really depends on your setup and what type of songs you listen to mostly. I listen to pop and rock songs a lot. I settled with UM3x not because it cheaper but it sounded what I wanted to hear inside my ears. I have using UM3x ever since and retired my trustee old Ultimate Ears UE700 which still sounds great (just before Logitech bought over in 2008).

Not all high end IE sounds great. Get a pair which fits your ears comfortable (I can wear UM3x with comply foam whole day or on long haul flights without feeling fatigue on my ears) but please do audition any IE before purchasing as if you buy a wrong pair, you will burnt a big hole in your pocket if you aren't getting what you want. Putting them online to resell is just too much hassle for me!

Now thinking of reshelling my UM700 into a 3 way with Unique Melody..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back