Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #406 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3 gives way less bass than the UM2 for me
frown.gif
The UM2's bass is loose and bloated while the W3's bass is only slightly bumped up in the upper bass but is otherwise pretty linear. Granted, only when it's fitting well.

I'd hold off on actual recommendations until the UM3x comes out. Then we'll see what there is to see. Or hear, rather.

true that; if the only thing they have improved on with UM3X is consistency of fit and therefore response; then I thnk thats enough to make them winner; I too have the same finding as you with UM56 and long/standard comply, if others will find that sweet spot more easily and reliably with these new IEMs then IMO then UM3X = win. yes I too have found westones to respond very well to EQ, which to me speaks of a fairly well balanced headphone. I guess i'll find out in a couple of weeks. UM3X ordered
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #407 of 557
Flavio liked UM2's and SE530's equally. I'd myself give a slight edge to SE530.

To me, W3 is like when you are making a recipe and you add too much of one thing (say..salt) then you have to compensate with the other side (sugar). you go back and forth and you end up tasting a dish that isn't necessarily bad but is a little bit unbalanced on the pallete. Please...this is my own ears and personal assesment. While I really like W3 and if a gun were put to my head I would take it over SE530 (for the added treble detail), it seems bass and treble dominate the presentation and it fatigues my ears. I think I like a more boring, linear and neutral presentation with more midrange. I look forward to reviewing UM3X. For me..I think it will be magical...Yes...somewhat like SE530 but better...more velvety...more natural.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #408 of 557
Looks like I'm the only one getting cold feet...

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #409 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!!! you really have no idea what you are talking about do you?? just where are you getting this information said with such certainty :shakes head:
rolleyes.gif
besides more bass and less highs than W3...sounds like IE8.

also W3 with right tips (custom) does not sound like that anyway. maybe a notch too much lower mids/upper bass, but really quite insignificant. the highs are just a touch hyped though, but nothing serious. i think you need to shoot your messenger.

i have my informations out of the german hifi forum where people had the chance to hear the um 3 x and could compare them to the w3 in this way..they all sad more presence in the bass at thme um3 in comparsion to the w3...

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #410 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have my informations out of the german hifi forum where people had the chance to hear the um 3 x and could compare them to the w3 in this way..they all sad more presence in the bass at thme um3 in comparsion to the w3...

Can we have a link, and maybe someone who understands German can conform this.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #412 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayajin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey I can read a bit german if that help.
hmm I have already found a link here about UM3X. Perhaps that's the one you seek but not sure.

EDIT: try this:
Translated version of http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-110-9551-3.html

All they seem to be doing in that forum is speculating and dissecting the earphonesolutions review - I don't see where any of them have heard it to be saying anything that supports sennmann's claims.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #416 of 557
Google translate does a poor job with the translation. Any german speaking forum members who can read this and make some sense of it?

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #417 of 557
hehe well, he appears to be saying that TF10 are more comfortable and that TF are balanced LOL and also incorrectly says they have the same drivers as W3 but with different crossover. so I think we can safely right this off

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #419 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe well, he appears to be saying that TF10 are more comfortable and that TF are balanced LOL and also incorrectly says they have the same drivers as W3 but with different crossover. so I think we can safely right this off

ES3X uses same drivers as Westone 3 - the crossover is different. That information is pretty much in the public domain now. Same should go for UM3X.

The thing about TF10 being balanced though...I concur - LOL.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #420 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES3X uses same drivers as Westone 3 - the crossover is different. That information is pretty much in the public domain now. Same should go for UM3X.

The thing about TF10 being balanced though...I concur - LOL.

Only one of the W3 drivers is shared between the Westone 3 and ES3X. That's what I was told by Westone. And the Westone 3 uses a board crossover and the ES3X doesn't (just in-line resistors I think, but that is the part I am less sure about).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back