Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 26, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #421 of 557
actually I read that they dont use the same drivers or crossover. I thought it even said that earlier in this thread. perhaps powd3erh0und can clear this up. they use the same low, but different mid and high driver and different crossover from what I remember. this is mentioned in the ES3X thread and I assume the UM3X uses the same ones. HA should also be able to clear this up as he has been in extensive talks with westone over ES3X. of course I dont mind if i'm wrong on that point; but certainly thats what I remember

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #422 of 557
hehe HA saves the day; I was writing my response at the same time as you

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #423 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one of the W3 drivers is shared between the Westone 3 and ES3X. That's what I was told by Westone. And the Westone 3 uses a board crossover and the ES3X doesn't (just in-line resistors I think, but that is the part I am less sure about).

more likely to be inline capacitors resistors wouldnt change the frequency response

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #424 of 557
Quote:

Only one of the W3 drivers is shared between the Westone 3 and ES3X. That's what I was told by Westone. And the Westone 3 uses a board crossover and the ES3X doesn't (just in-line resistors I think, but that is the part I am less sure about).

Hmm, cause the information that was more easily available said that the crossover has been redone.

I stand corrected though....

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #425 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES3X uses same drivers as Westone 3 - the crossover is different. That information is pretty much in the public domain now. Same should go for UM3X.

The thing about TF10 being balanced though...I concur - LOL.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, cause the information that was more easily available said that the crossover has been redone.

From p0wderh0und23 on 15th January: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/n...7/#post5297127

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #426 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From p0wderh0und23 on 15th January: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/n...7/#post5297127

Right, he wrote "Different driver configuration and cross over points."

He chose his wording carefully - the driver configuration and cross-over points are different. He told me over lunch that they only share one driver out of the three, and that the W3 uses a crossover "board" (I've since seen photos) while the ES3X doesn't use a cross-over in the same way as the W3.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #428 of 557
according to the post in hifi-forum.de: i am german and i think you got it wrong!

He says:

Fit: very comfortable like W3 (i own the TF10 and they are uncomfortable :wink: )
Building: Drivers are the same like W3, but a different configuration
Sound: Sligtly more bass than the W3 (has been confirmed by an english speaking staff from westone), so heighs do not provide strong "ssss" sounds like the W3 does - that sucked on the W3.
Compared to the TF10 the i like the end of cymbals (dont know how to translate it) and the High Hats better/ in my opinion they are more detailed.

There was nothing negative, no warm mids like the UM2 has.

Today i would buy the UM3 (not the TF10) (better overall sound, better High-Hats, cymbals, etc, better fit, neutral sound <--not like the UM2 i think [he didnt listen to them], it's a slightly better TF10)."

Hope you understand it better now!

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #429 of 557
so it sounds like the westone 3 except with slightly more bass?

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #430 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadburai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound: Sligtly more bass than the W3 (has been confirmed by an english speaking staff from westone), so heighs do not provide strong "ssss" sounds like the W3 does - that sucked on the W3...

Not really, maybe I'm misunderstanding but it sounds as if the bass and sibilance are being linked to each other. It reads to me like because they have more bass sibilance is reduced which doesn't really make sense because the two don't have any correlation.

If the sibilance issues are indeed overcome then I may be interested although it looks as if it's using the same non-detachable cable which I initially had reservations about on the W3 and then had my concerns confirmed when the braid on mine started unraveling and wouldn't go back. Of course Westone was great in dealing with it and getting me a replacement but I just hate these cable problems that expensive universal IEM's seem to encounter. I'm almost to the point of making a detachable cable a requirement for any IEM purchase.

In regards to the TF10's balance, I've been doing a lot of listening to a pair with a Null Audio replacement cable with Comply tips and in this configuration the TF10's are one of the better balanced IEM's I've heard. If it wasn't for the awkward fit, somewhat awkward cable, overall comfort and ease of use I'd probably go that route.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #431 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadburai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to the post in hifi-forum.de: i am german and i think you got it wrong!

He says:

Fit: very comfortable like W3 (i own the TF10 and they are uncomfortable :wink: )
Building: Drivers are the same like W3, but a different configuration
Sound: Sligtly more bass than the W3 (has been confirmed by an english speaking staff from westone), so heighs do not provide strong "ssss" sounds like the W3 does - that sucked on the W3.
Compared to the TF10 the i like the end of cymbals (dont know how to translate it) and the High Hats better/ in my opinion they are more detailed.

There was nothing negative, no warm mids like the UM2 has.

Today i would buy the UM3 (not the TF10) (better overall sound, better High-Hats, cymbals, etc, better fit, neutral sound <--not like the UM2 i think [he didnt listen to them], it's a slightly better TF10)."

well actually, the language makes more sense, but the review doesnt. as elnaro says, sibilance has absolutely no correlation with the amount of bass, more bass is more bass, sibilance will not go away because of more bass. there will just be more bass with your sibilance.

they are not using the same drivers

this is a musicians monitor; the bass may be more extended, but there should not be MORE bass quantity than W3 or there is something wrong

if there is better transient response and decay (in reference to the cymbals), i'm very happy with that, but we'll see. I think that is what he is saying.
it would want to be a lot better/different than TF10 or you'll find mine on the FS forums in no time. the lack of talk about mids worries me too.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #432 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so it sounds like the westone 3 except with slightly more bass?

I very much doubt the UM3X would have more bass than the W3, as the W3 is NOT exactly bass light. For some people it's even a bit too much, actually. Besides, I doubt this even more considering the UM3X's are aimed more at musicians than the general public, where you'll find plenty of people happily calling themselves 'bass heads'.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #433 of 557
i constantly find myself finding many headphones bright besides sennheisers... should be slightly sensitive to treble. would the um3x be good for me, if i want just slightly better highs than, say, the ie8s?

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #434 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks as if it's using the same non-detachable cable which I initially had reservations about on the W3 and then had my concerns confirmed when the braid on mine started unraveling and wouldn't go back. Of course Westone was great in dealing with it and getting me a replacement but I just hate these cable problems that expensive universal IEM's seem to encounter. I'm almost to the point of making a detachable cable a requirement for any IEM purchase.

....I never had any problems with the UM2 cable. And the W3 cable in my opinion is great. They are very light weight and comfortable. The UE S5F pro detachable cable has sometimes come off for no reason.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #435 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....I never had any problems with the UM2 cable. And the W3 cable in my opinion is great. They are very light weight and comfortable. The UE S5F pro detachable cable has sometimes come off for no reason.

Good for you, I'm glad you haven't had any issues with yours but, like me, many other people have had problems with the W3's cable braid coming loose, in some instances it would go back in others it wouldn't. I haven't heard if the problem has been addressed or not but then I haven't really been paying much attention to the W3 threads lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back