Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 8, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #91 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a lot of people don't prefer the flat sound either -- it sounds a little bland and un-musical, at least to my ears. If you compare the Etymotic ER4P to the Shure SE530, you'll note how the SE530 sounds much more bass-and-mid focused, but it's in a good way. Ultimately, it's personal preference.

Obviously, though, for accurate monitoring purposes, you definitely want a flat response. I can't wait to see how well this fares against the UE-10, which I believe is the current undisputed neutrality-king.

I never got this "musical" reasoning for warm speakers. Warm is a coloration/distortion.

It is like going to a really high-end 3 michelin star restaurant and throwing ketchup on everything because it tastes more "familiar/comfortable".

Or buying a Picasso and putting it behind yellow glass because you like warmer colors.

Destroying what the chef/artist/engineer wanted you to experience in the process.

I think the UM3x is for me... I love flat and neutral. I am an Audiophile and Art of audio production for me is the gear that brings me closer to the recording as it is on the media it is on. Because that is the image and information the people that made the music want me to hear.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #92 of 557
OOoo. Flat and neutral, sounds like PFEs
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW, I am not an audiophile, but loves good sound/audio.

Next possible upgrade candidate : UM3X. But, have to wait for Headphoneaddict's reviews first
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #93 of 557
haha. somehow its good that there was a mass recall on the ie8s due to some quality control problem, thus i'll be able to get my money back. hope to see good reviews of the um3x. if the midbass hump is gone i'm definitely getting this iem!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #95 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha. somehow its good that there was a mass recall on the ie8s due to some quality control problem, thus i'll be able to get my money back. hope to see good reviews of the um3x. if the midbass hump is gone i'm definitely getting this iem!!
biggrin.gif

Does that only apply to your dealer in Singapore or is this a problem that exists for all IE8 owners?

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #96 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that only apply to your dealer in Singapore or is this a problem that exists for all IE8 owners?

Yea, what is the mass recall all about? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything (thread and the IE8 appreciation thread for recall).

Also, the um3x sounds interesting, but I think I would prefer the W3, but will be interested in the first owners thoughts.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #97 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, what is the mass recall all about? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything (thread and the IE8 appreciation thread for recall).

Also, the um3x sounds interesting, but I think I would prefer the W3, but will be interested in the first owners thoughts.

what i heard was 6-7 out of 1000 IE8 failed the QC so they recalled back all the IE8...

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #98 of 557
How come the QC failed IE8 being sold into the market? Might be this the one with USD 275 price tag
smily_headphones1.gif
(from other thread)

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #99 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got this "musical" reasoning for warm speakers. Warm is a coloration/distortion.

It is like going to a really high-end 3 michelin star restaurant and throwing ketchup on everything because it tastes more "familiar/comfortable".

Or buying a Picasso and putting it behind yellow glass because you like warmer colors.

Destroying what the chef/artist/engineer wanted you to experience in the process.

I think the UM3x is for me... I love flat and neutral. I am an Audiophile and Art of audio production for me is the gear that brings me closer to the recording as it is on the media it is on. Because that is the image and information the people that made the music want me to hear.

while i agree with your sentiment, i don't see how an audiophile has to do with anything neutral. it literally means a hi-fi enthusiast. you can be a bass fanatic or treble tyrant and still be an audiophile.

keep in mind also that while the westone um3x is destined to be amazing, at this point it is marketing hype. no one really knows what it sounds like and even when reviews come in or you hear it yourself, your views will be based on a certain amount of placebo placed by marketing or pressure to love a product from a well-respected company.

i am looking forward to this release by westone as a follow-up to the excellent um2, but not expecting it to be better than ezra. it is an earphone from a company who want to make money, the same as ue, monster, sennheiser, etymotic, shure, audio technica, apple, microsoft, dell etc.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #101 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This indeed is very strange..5 months after the W3...also If you look at their website it is listed above UM1 and UM2 on the Universal section as True Fit Universal. And if it uses the same drivers as the ES3X (W3 only share one with ES3X) I guess is targeted more to consumer rather than musicians (since ES3X is for audiophiles while ES3 are stage monitors!). Well only 22 days till we find out.

So it seems UM3X + UM56 custom tips = ES3X (for almost half the price)

From the Westone website:

"ES3X Musicians' Monitors
The premier true three-way custom in-ear musicians’ monitor for any performing musician. The ES3X features separate low, midrange and high frequency drivers for smooth response across all frequencies. With 25 dB of ambient noise reduction and the long-wearing comfort only a custom earpiece can provide, the ES3X is the choice for the most discriminating musician.

The ES3X is also an excellent option for any personal listener looking to upgrade their iPod® or media player with a high-end, well-balanced custom earphone."

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #102 of 557
The choices and options just keep on rolling in....be interesting to see how these compare to W3 but can't forsee myself picking up a set any time soon. Westone certainly aren't resting on their laurels.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #103 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while i agree with your sentiment, i don't see how an audiophile has to do with anything neutral. it literally means a hi-fi enthusiast. you can be a bass fanatic or treble tyrant and still be an audiophile.

Can you be a conuisseur of fine single malt scotch by mixing it with coke?

My definition of audio is the reproduction of a recording. Which a lot of people go to great length to produce. Find the right studio, equipment, engineers etc to get what they want to produce. All that information is on the source recording. The job of an audio system is to reproduce the recording as faithfully as possible. If it adds or removes anything it isn't reproducing it.

It is like saying I like my food spicy but going to a fine restaurant by a accomplished Chef who sources the best produce and ingredients to create exquisite innovations, and throwing chili and pepper in everything.

Quote:

keep in mind also that while the westone um3x is destined to be amazing, at this point it is marketing hype. no one really knows what it sounds like and even when reviews come in or you hear it yourself, your views will be based on a certain amount of placebo placed by marketing or pressure to love a product from a well-respected company.

True. Westone clearly makes a distinction between their pro and personal line. They claim the UM3x is their ES3X in a universal fit package. The specs are identical.

ES3X Specifications:
Sensitivity: 124 dB SPL
Frequency response: 20 Hz - 18 kHz
Impedance: 56 ohm

Driver: Three balanced armature drivers with a passive three-way crossover.

UM3X Specifications
Sensitivity: 124dB/mW

Frequency response: 20 Hz -18 kHz

Impedance: 56 ohms

Driver: Three balanced armature drivers with a passive three-way crossover.

There are plenty of reviews of the ES3x. There is no reason to doubt they won't sound similar albeit without the custom sleeves.

Quote:

i am looking forward to this release by westone as a follow-up to the excellent um2, but not expecting it to be better than ezra. it is an earphone from a company who want to make money, the same as ue, monster, sennheiser, etymotic, shure, audio technica, apple, microsoft, dell etc.

Every company is out there to make money. I don't get why you think Westone should be a non-profit or not market their product.

Monster claims the Turbines are the best sounding earphone? They clearly aren't. That's an advertising claim, that's all. Monster won't even publish specs...which is a very Bose thing to do.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #104 of 557
i don't think so, but i do disagree that 'neutral' by advertising means neutral in real terms. also, live albums i have heard sound so much different from live music of the same concert.

neutral does not mean that it is the recording as that comes from processing, different monitors that are often not made for headphones, and too many variables to bet on neutrality. rather, i think neutrality is not even possible in recording - only in live as that is the music as heard by the ear with out post-processing etc.

i have worked in recording and have many sound engineer friends - it makes me no expert but it has proved to me that music in stage and music for music sake are two different things. everything is monitored, toned down or up and frequencies are cancelled, denied or elevated. neutrality is a buzzword like authentic is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back