Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 8, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #121 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the combo of drivers is also unique. It uses 2 Mid/treble drivers, and one for bass I recall.

Yeah, I spotted that when I scanned over a review. That is intiguing. Just reiterates the frustration that it's not available outside the Japanese/Asian market...

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #123 of 557
UM3Xs do exist. Ask Westones for the existence
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #124 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely! - Westone realised the Westone 3 could just NOT compete with the one and only SE530...and now they're also seriously considering discontinuing the ES3X for the very same reason.

Um.. let's get our facts straight before we going making bold statements like that! The W3 is for personal listening. The UM3X is for stage use. The ES3X was just released 2 months ago, why would we be pulling it when it's getting great reviews.

If you do not know what is going on, please refrain from trying to sound like you do. :)

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #126 of 557
p0wderh0und23-
Can you give us a little insight into what the sonic differences will be between this model and the Westone 3, as well as the ES3X?

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #127 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um.. let's get our facts straight before we going making bold statements like that! The W3 is for personal listening. The UM3X is for stage use. The ES3X was just released 2 months ago, why would we be pulling it when it's getting great reviews.

If you do not know what is going on, please refrain from trying to sound like you do. :)

He was making fun of the Shure fan boy..it was ironic. Most people prefer by far the W3 than the SE530 (including me).

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #128 of 557
Quote:

I guess you didn't pick up his sarcasm, but yeah, he's joking. As a matter of fact you'll see in his sig that he actually owns the ES3X. Him and Voltag3 have a long history.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #129 of 557
Quote:

He's a narrow-minded SE530 fanboy/wind-up merchant, ignore him
wink.gif

Can you shed anymore light on the UM3x? How come it's not simply called UM3, for starters (to be in keeping with the UM1 and UM2)? Any particular reasoning for that? Can you share any more details on how the UM3x is going to/meant to sound (comparatively to the W3, UM2 and/or ES3x)? The product description says that the drivers are based on the ES3x; what exactly is in this? How similar will/is intended the UM3x sound to the ES3x, taking into account that they would sound somewhat different anyway, due to design and housing and fit etc, if the innards was the same?

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #130 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p0wderh0und23-
Can you give us a little insight into what the sonic differences will be between this model and the Westone 3, as well as the ES3X?

Thanks!

Yeah here is the "over all jist" of the 3:

W3 - Personal Listening (has all the tips and adapters that folks wanted). Sound is built to be more dynamic on compressed music (AKA recorded.. we're not starting that argument, so shhh)

UM3X - Stage Monitor (no bells as whistles, same case and accessories as the UM2). Sound is built to be more dynamic though a monitor system (yes there are BIG differences). We're only marketing it in the pro audio arena, that's not to say you will not be able to get your hands on it.

ES3X - This was a wicked beast to build really. We wanted to have a driver package that complimented both personal and pro audio applications. This was the outcome. Our Senior Designer did good!

Yes we are splitting up the markets. The UM Series will be marketed to Pro Audio stores and the Westone 3 (and maybe others) will be marketed to Consumer/Personal Listening stores. There are differences in them and as we move forward those differences will become more apparent. As for the ES's, the ES1, ES2, ES3 will continue to be sold as is, more towards pro audio, but of course anyone can get them. The ES3X is the only one we are TRULY doing in both. Doesn't make sense not to.

As of right now, for my iPod (universal fit) I'm still using the W3. When I go custom or using them on stage I'm on the ES3X.

Hope that helps a little. Honestly, the truth is EVERYONE hears different. Let your ears decide not another forum member or some person doing marketing decide for you.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #131 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's a narrow-minded SE530 fanboy/wind-up merchant, ignore him
wink.gif

Can you shed anymore light on the UM3x? How come it's not simply called UM3, for starters (to be in keeping with the UM1 and UM2)? Any particular reasoning for that? Can you share any more details on how the UM3x is going to/meant to sound (comparatively to the W3, UM2 and/or ES3x)? The product description says that the drivers are based on the ES3x; what exactly is in this? How similar will/is intended the UM3x sound to the ES3x, taking into account that they would sound somewhat different anyway, due to design and housing and fit etc, if the innards was the same?

The main reason for the naming is that we did not want to call it the UM3 and have people think it was a universal version of the ES3. It's that simple.

They sound quite different between the ES3x and the UM3X. This is totally based upon the shell vs case, sound tube diameters, driver placement etc. The ES3X is far more open than the UM3X, same as the ES2 is to the UM2.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #132 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you didn't pick up his sarcasm, but yeah, he's joking. As a matter of fact you'll see in his sig that he actually owns the ES3X. Him and Voltag3 have a long history.
wink.gif

Oh I'm down with sarcasm, I just know how things get BLOWN out of context on this forum and did not want some wild rumor going around that I need to spend a month cleaning up. :)

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #133 of 557
Would it be possible to post frequency response graphs for the W3 vs. the new UM3X?

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #134 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be possible to post frequency response graphs for the W3 vs. the new UM3X?

Thanks.

Not from us. We do not post in public the response charts of any products. Others may do something on their own.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #135 of 557
p0wderh0und23 - do you know if the UM3X housing is smaller than the W3 housing? Sorry if you've already answered it somewhere, but the thread's growing so fast I can't keep track! I would love something a fraction smaller than the W3 housing. The UM2 fitted my ears perfectly in the 24 hours that I owned them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back