Westone UM2 upgrade path --> UM3X-RC or W4R?
Nov 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dmbfan36_23

New Head-Fier
I've come across a good weekend deal on these sets of earphones and am considering an impulse upgrade.  I've searched the forum and found plenty of UM3X vs W4 threads.  The general consensus seems to be that UM3X have more bass and the W4 have better mids & highs and sound more open.

[size=small] My question relates specifically to coming from the Westone UM2s.  Which is the better upgrade path?  Will I be losing bass by going to the W4Rs?  Or will everything sound better?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I listen to a variety of music... mostly live recordings, but also some studio stuff.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Some of the bands I listen to:[/size]
[size=small] Dave Matthews Band (including acoustic sets)[/size]
[size=small] Pearl Jam[/size]
[size=small] Led Zeppelin[/size]
[size=small] Pink Floyd[/size]
[size=small] U2[/size]
[size=small] Ben Harper (including his solo acoustic work)[/size]
[size=small] Phish[/size]
[size=small] Grateful Dead[/size]
[size=small] Jack White[/size]
[size=small] Mumford & Sons[/size]
[size=small] Red Hot Chili Peppers[/size]
[size=small] Jane's Addiction[/size]
[size=small] Foo Fighters[/size]
[size=small] Jimi Hendrix[/size]

Not sure if this also plays into the decision, but I also plan to pick up a Fiio E17 for hooking up to the laptop (which is how I listen to most of my music daily at work).

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the UM2 is the best Westone IEM (not including Westone CIEMs) I've owned/tried to date. I never really fell for the W3, UM3X, and the W4. The W3 sounded a bit sloppy for me and with the UM3X and W4, I felt you lost the "fun" aspect you got with the UM2. If you can get it at a friendly dealer where they have a good return policy, I urge you to listen to them yourself to find out which one is best for your needs.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 10
Hmmm, thanks.  According to the site, earphone solutions charges a 15% restock fee... I'm not sure if Flavio would waive that or not.  This is an impulse buy due to the deal, perhaps I will just stick with the UM2s and ad the E17 to the mix as I don't really have any "problem" with the UM2s right now.  

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Hmmm, thanks.  According to the site, earphone solutions charges a 15% restock fee... I'm not sure if Flavio would waive that or not.  This is an impulse buy due to the deal, perhaps I will just stick with the UM2s and ad the E17 to the mix as I don't really have any "problem" with the UM2s right now.  

Restock fee..? I've never heard of that when I bought stuff from them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 10
RETURN POLICY

If you are not completely satisfied you can return your earphones within 30 days of your order date.

NON-RETURNABLE ITEMS: all accessories and eartips, Sennheiser, Denon, H2O products and headphones over $600.

REFUNDS: once we receive the product and inspect it, we will credit your card for the purchase amount less 15% restocking fee or $15 whichever is greater. Original shipping cost is non-refundable.
Why do we charge restocking fee? - We charge this fee because we do not sell open items since these go inside your ear canal. This fee will cover all processing expenses from the manufacturer. That is how we guarantee you a fresh, brand new, factory sealed product every time. Orders shipped with free shipping, the credit will be deducted $7.95 or the original shipping cost, whichever is greater.
NO restocking fees on exchanges of returnable items for an item of equal or greater amount.

EXCHANGES: If you exchange for another item of same or greater amount, the restocking fee will be waived entirely. If the item you want is of a lower amount than the original purchase, the restocking fee will only apply on the difference.

Warranty replacements after 30 days of the purchase date are handled directly by the manufacturer.

Within 30 days of your order date, please send us an email to start the return process and we will send you an email with the RA#, return address and all other instructions necessary to return your product.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/returns.html

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 10
planx describes it very well and very accurate.

If bass is very important, go with UM3X.  It has better weight and slam.  But UM2 has better soundstage!

If a better overall audiophile sound (and big) and soundstage is more important, go with W4.  Undeniably better in that regard and W4 is not exactly base lite....it's fine.

Coming from UM2 which I am a big fan of....I think everyone should own UM3X and W4.  The logical upgrade would be UM2>UM3X>W4.  If you like UM2 you should certainly like UM3X.  For me it was only AFTER I got bored with UM3X where I started to appreciate W4.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Coming from UM2 which I am a big fan of....I think everyone should own UM3X and W4.  The logical upgrade would be UM2>UM3X>W4.  If you like UM2 you should certainly like UM3X.  For me it was only AFTER I got bored with UM3X where I started to appreciate W4.

Thanks Spyro...

There's a $70 price diff between the UM3X-RC and the W4R right now, I'm leaning towards picking up the W4R and keeping my UM2.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 10
KEEP the UM2

Buy the W4

...and your whole audio world is set!

I miss UM2 immensely.  Dont ever sell it.  I think it is among the most underrated universals ever made.  Vocals are insane.  and bass is good too!!!!

UM2 actually beats UM3X in a few categories.  PM me if you want to know...

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
KEEP the UM2

Buy the W4

...and you whole audio world is set!

I miss UM2 immensely.  Dont ever sell it.  I think it is among the most underrated universals ever made.  Vocals are insane.  and bass is good too!!!!

UM2 actually beats UM3X is a few categories.  PM me if you want to know cause no one will believe it here...

If anyone thinks otherwise, you have my vote where I think the same as you. The UM2 is a fantastic IEM. Not even the current W2 beats it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back