Westone UM2...Right or Wrong ?
Oct 21, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
So it is true that the amount of drivers (in the case of the E500 and Triple.Fi) have no bearing on overall sound quality to dual drivers like the UM2?

Or are you just saying that in the dual driver category you preferred the UM2?

Is it entirely possible for a dual driver to sound more balanced (and have more bass) than a triple driver IEM?

PJ

Yes definitely, but largely depend on the design. If you look at the triple driver IEMs, they still only have one tweeter, the only difference over the dual drivers is one additional subwoofer.

It's not neccessarily to say triple-driver IEMs> dual-driver IEMs sound quality wise. And there are people who even prefer single driver IEMs like ER4 over dual/triple driver IEMs.

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodydoorknob
I like the um2's for their smooth sound, but the um2's sound kinda muddy and veiled in comparison to the e500's. I was listening to a few of my pat metheny albums and they sounded too laid back, the highs were a bit rolled off also. When I put on my e500's to compare, the sound just came alive and I could hear details that weren't picked up by the um2's. The biggest difference between the two is that the um2's seem to have a flatter signature with the highs more rolled off than the shures, a plus for extended listening, but I prefer my music to be lively, which leads me to grab the shure's more often than my um2's. Both are great IEMs, and you can't go wrong with either one, but if money's no object to you, go for the e500's...

Are you using complies with the UM2s? If so, try change to Shure triflange or foamies.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 39
Yay...I just got my UM2 yesterday. Thank you so much earphonesolutions 2 days shipping
eggosmile.gif

Anyway, I tried my new UM2 all evening yesterday and my first impression was, "Is that all?" I say that because they still do not satisfy me. I dunno why but I still feel like there is something missing in the music. The bass is there, the clarity is there but I still feel something does not seem right. I tried almost all the Eq that Ipod nano has and still the same result. However, UM2 are really comfortable. I used em yesterday more than 7 hours and I did not feel any pain in my ears. I tried the complies(short) and bi-flange sleeves. I prefer complies more because they are more comfortable and give better isolation but they tend to block the highs. Probably I should wear em longer and get used with Um2's first because I decide what to do with em.

So, do you guys have any comments about this ? should I try different sleeves ? or should I just sell Um2's and get E500's or super fi 5 pro?

P.S: I have ep630...UM2 are so much better in clarity and detail but the price difference is too high.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
Yay...I just got my UM2 yesterday. Thank you so much earphonesolutions 2 days shipping
eggosmile.gif

Anyway, I tried my new UM2 all evening yesterday and my first impression was, "Is that all?" I say that because they still do not satisfy me. I dunno why but I still feel like there is something missing in the music. The bass is there, the clarity is there but I still feel something does not seem right. I tried almost all the Eq that Ipod nano has and still the same result. However, UM2 are really comfortable. I used em yesterday more than 7 hours and I did not feel any pain in my ears. I tried the complies(short) and bi-flange sleeves. I prefer complies more because they are more comfortable and give better isolation but they tend to block the highs. Probably I should wear em longer and get used with Um2's first because I decide what to do with em.

So, do you guys have any comments about this ? should I try different sleeves ? or should I just sell Um2's and get E500's or super fi 5 pro?

P.S: I have ep630...UM2 are so much better in clarity and detail but the price difference is too high.

iPod EQ?! They distort the sound IMHO.

I find UM2 good for pop and vocals, and any bass-heavy music, piano also has a much larger body compare to ER4s, but really they are not so good for the other genres. Everyone has a different taste in music, so if you find UM2 not for you, maybe something else will suit you better(disregard their price). E500 is more an allrounder than the others IMHO and it's a much safer bet if you don't know which IEM to pick in the end.

EDIT: For tips, try Shure foamies, they sound as good as the biflange and are more comfy and isolate better too. The complies do roll off the highs as you said, they also tend to veil the sound. You should find biflange really helps pushing the sound forward.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
iPod EQ?! They distort the sound IMHO.

I find UM2 good for pop and vocals, and any bass-heavy music, piano also has a much larger body compare to ER4s, but really they are not so good for the other genres. Everyone has a different taste in music, so if you find UM2 not for you, maybe something else will suit you better(disregard their price). E500 is more an allrounder than the others IMHO and it's a much safer bet if you don't know which IEM to pick in the end.

EDIT: For tips, try Shure foamies, they sound as good as the biflange and are more comfy and isolate better too. The complies do roll off the highs as you said, they also tend to veil the sound. You should find biflange really helps pushing the sound forward.

So, should I just turn off the ipod eq to make UM2 sound better ?

As for genre, I like R&B, a bit pop, christian songs, and some trance. When listening to em, I usually turn my eq to have a lot of both bass and highs(a little bit more bass than highs). So, should I try E500?

P.S: It would be awesome if some1 has an extra pair of shure foamies and is kind enough to give me so that i can try
eggosmile.gif
(Please
lambda.gif
)

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
So, should I just turn off the ipod eq to make UM2 sound better ?

As for genre, I like R&B, a bit pop, christian songs, and some trance. When listening to em, I usually turn my eq to have a lot of both bass and highs(a little bit more bass than highs). So, should I try E500?

P.S: It would be awesome if some1 has an extra pair of shure foamies and is kind enough to give me so that i can try
eggosmile.gif
(Please
lambda.gif
)

I think you should really turn off the EQs in iPod, they really distort the sound.
If you want to do alot of EQ, I suggest you try rockbox and use the hardware EQ, they are much much better. I find rockbox brighter sounding than the original firmware, so give it a try. You can always roll back anyways so no risk.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
I think you should really turn off the EQs in iPod, they really distort the sound.
If you want to do alot of EQ, I suggest you try rockbox and use the hardware EQ, they are much much better. I find rockbox brighter sounding than the original firmware, so give it a try. You can always roll back anyways so no risk.

That would be awesome. Where can I find rockbox ? Is it a software or an amp(sorry I'm new here so
lambda.gif
) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back