Westone UM2...Right or Wrong ?
Oct 19, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 39
Thanks for the replies guys. I Can't wait to try the UM2 out...hope it is really a good choice to choose it instead of E500
rs1smile.gif
(i'm so in love with E500 design
eggosmile.gif
).

BTW Flavio, how long do you thing the complytips will last if they are used regularly ?

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 39
i probably should have tried the shure soft flex sleeve w/the UM2 before i sold mine...i used comply tips and absolutely hated the UM2 - bloated bass, recessed highs...i love the soft flex sleeves on the er4p/s, so i should have tried them on the UM2. oh well...

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 39
UM2's are definitely my next upgrade after the E2c's, they absolutely blew me away at the national meet when I heard them. I didn't even hear such good bass from the E500's.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 39
The um2s must be heads and bounds better than the um1s the way you guys are talking about them, because after about a week of um1 ownership, frankly I'm dissatisfied with um1 sq, even though I think they are the sleakest looking iems out there, and I unfortunately can't return them.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #22 of 39
UM2s are more streamlined than the e500s as far as fit and have plenty of great feedback on here. I doubt you'll regret your purchase. Around here we usually just end up buying more earphones/headphones not because we hate our current ones, just because.
biggrin.gif

Buy from Flavio at Earphone Solutions. They rock.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m
What was the deciding factor?

Peter

I would say a $200 price difference.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
Foam tips are expensive because you have to change em often. Probably I should try some of shure's tips. BTW I heard some people mentioned about the bi-flange mod but I could not find a thread about it. Can some1 tell me how to do it to my UM2 ? Is it just cutting the smallest flange ? Does it work ?

As for the deciding factor, probably the price. My girlfriend said, "Are you crazy?" That's what I got from her when I mentioned the $500 E500
k1000smile.gif
. Also I heard that UM2 has better bass(I remember Flavio mentioned this if I'm not mistaken).

Yes, Flavio has mentioned a warmer sound from the UM2s but more detail from the e500s. I am very happy with my e500s with dance, r&b and jazz (electronica stuff like Massive Attack sounds ABSOLUTELY AMAZING with the e500s! If you own a pair you owe it to yourself to listen to some Massive Attack. Get the new Collected CD which is a greatest hits.) but I gotta say that sometimes I wish they were warmer when I'm listening to hard rock. I just put the volume down a bit and that helps. Especially since they are so detailed you can still hear everything at lower volumes.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #25 of 39
Hearing from you guys makes me feel relieved
biggrin.gif
. I was so confused before and ended up listening to my GF and Flavio and bought UM2. I can't wait to try em
eggosmile.gif

BTW, will my Ipod nano(1st gen) do a good job with UM2? or should I get an Amp?

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 39
I like the um2's for their smooth sound, but the um2's sound kinda muddy and veiled in comparison to the e500's. I was listening to a few of my pat metheny albums and they sounded too laid back, the highs were a bit rolled off also. When I put on my e500's to compare, the sound just came alive and I could hear details that weren't picked up by the um2's. The biggest difference between the two is that the um2's seem to have a flatter signature with the highs more rolled off than the shures, a plus for extended listening, but I prefer my music to be lively, which leads me to grab the shure's more often than my um2's. Both are great IEMs, and you can't go wrong with either one, but if money's no object to you, go for the e500's...

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodydoorknob
I like the um2's for their smooth sound, but the um2's sound kinda muddy and veiled in comparison to the e500's. I was listening to a few of my pat metheny albums and they sounded too laid back, the highs were a bit rolled off also. When I put on my e500's to compare, the sound just came alive and I could hear details that weren't picked up by the um2's. The biggest difference between the two is that the um2's seem to have a flatter signature with the highs more rolled off than the shures, a plus for extended listening, but I prefer my music to be lively, which leads me to grab the shure's more often than my um2's. Both are great IEMs, and you can't go wrong with either one, but if money's no object to you, go for the e500's...

Well, I already bought the UM2's and they are on the way. I will try to listen to em and decide if I wanna keep UM2's or not. If not then I'll probably get the E500's secreatly or probably get the super fi 5 pro
580smile.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 39
I was about to order new Complys, but after talking to Westone, I think UM-56 are a better deal. Over their 3-5 year life span, they'll be close to the cost of Complys, and I hope they'll sound way better and will be even more comfortable.

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I was about to order new Complys, but after talking to Westone, I think UM-56 are a better deal. Over their 3-5 year life span, they'll be close to the cost of Complys, and I hope they'll sound way better and will be even more comfortable.

I was thinking the same thing. BTW...do you know how much does it cost to get impressions for UM-56? Is it just the price of Um-56 or more ?

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
UM2's are definitely my next upgrade after the E2c's, they absolutely blew me away at the national meet when I heard them. I didn't even hear such good bass from the E500's.

So it is true that the amount of drivers (in the case of the E500 and Triple.Fi) have no bearing on overall sound quality to dual drivers like the UM2?

Or are you just saying that in the dual driver category you preferred the UM2?

Is it entirely possible for a dual driver to sound more balanced (and have more bass) than a triple driver IEM?

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back