Westone UM2...Right or Wrong ?
Oct 19, 2006 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Fr3sH

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, wanna say Hi to you guys. I'm new here, but almost $300 have just gone away because of reading so many threads
eggosmile.gif
Ok2...enough of this. BTW, I Just got myself a new westone UM2(my first IEM). It is on the way to my house. I was so confused between UM2 vs Super fi 5 vs E500. I like the E500 design but earphonesolutions made me decided to go ahead and buy the UM2. I'm hoping this is the right decision I made. What you guys think ? BTW...what is the best tips for UM2 ?

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 39
Well, I guess that depends on the music you listen too... I bought UM2's last week and they should arrive any moment now, after I listened to them, I'll let you know my first impression.

As for the superfi's, they are big, very big, I do not find them comfortable, I never listened to the e500, so not much I can tell you about them either.

And the tips, some say westone's comply tips, some say shure's foam tips, guess you'll have to try them both...

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 39
Definitely a good decision
etysmile.gif
. If you can, pick up a set of Shure soft flex silicone tips. The Complys really muffle the high end, plus you have to replace them when they get too skanky. The soft flexes sound fantastic and don't really get dirty with use.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 39
Foam tips are expensive because you have to change em often. Probably I should try some of shure's tips. BTW I heard some people mentioned about the bi-flange mod but I could not find a thread about it. Can some1 tell me how to do it to my UM2 ? Is it just cutting the smallest flange ? Does it work ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m
What was the deciding factor?

Peter

As for the deciding factor, probably the price. My girlfriend said, "Are you crazy?" That's what I got from her when I mentioned the $500 E500
k1000smile.gif
. Also I heard that UM2 has better bass(I remember Flavio mentioned this if I'm not mistaken).

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 39
Good call, I prefer the UM2 to the E500, they are simply more fun. I recommend getting a fit kit from earphonesolutions.com and make sure it includes the triflange tips. Try different tips and see which work best for you. I liked the triflange with the stem cut to be flush with the last/largest flange... some prefer to cut one flange off, it just depends on your ears.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
The Complys really muffle the high end, plus you have to replace them when they get too skanky.

I don't find that to be the case with the E500, but that said, YMMV.

Quote:

The soft flexes sound fantastic and don't really get dirty with use.

Trust me they do! It's just that they're grey and you don't notice it
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 39
I use the bi-flange with my UM2. The bass is not as deep but still there. However the treble is clean. I cut the smallest tip at the top and use it as is. I bought my tips from Etymotic .. They are cheaper than Shures.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 39
I think you'll be satisfied with your UM2s, I sure was, however, coming off some Ety ER4Ps, it took a bit of adjustment, and perhaps burn-in - as well as finding the right tips for the best comfort/sound. I do prefer the Shure grey flex tips, but others swear by foamies or flange models. The important thing with the UM2s is to be able to get to a comfortable seal with just a moderate amount of insertion, and give it a few dozen hours of listen/burn-in before final judgement or final eq setting (if any). Of course, your source material/sound engine will be major factors too, but the UM2s should sound v. good with pretty much any source and their efficiency will give plenty of volume with any portable's amp.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 39
Team Comply vs. Team Soft Flex
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I don't find that to be the case with the E500, but that said, YMMV.

I don't know about the E500, but it's certainly the case with the UM2. The Complys kill the highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Trust me they do! It's just that they're grey and you don't notice it
tongue.gif

Alright, sure, they get oily and stuff, but they don't turn downright unusable like some of the Complys I've seen. And they definitely last longer.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 39
Probably I should try the grey tips from Shure and need to find out what size is the best. Any other ideas ? or should i go get the UM56 ? I think it's better than spending money with foamies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Good call, I prefer the UM2 to the E500, they are simply more fun. I recommend getting a fit kit from earphonesolutions.com and make sure it includes the triflange tips. Try different tips and see which work best for you. I liked the triflange with the stem cut to be flush with the last/largest flange... some prefer to cut one flange off, it just depends on your ears.

The fit kit from earphonesolutions doesn't come with the triflange.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Team Comply vs. Team Soft Flex
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Alright, sure, they get oily and stuff, but they don't turn downright unusable like some of the Complys I've seen. And they definitely last longer.

True. After all, Complys do "soak up grease"
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 39
I'm still wondering if I'd like the E500 more. I suppose so, because, with any tip other than foam and tri-flange, the UM2s are ssssssso ssssssibilant. I can't really stand them with shorter tips - I've tried the entire Shure tip selection but with no success, they're too ear-piercing for me. But with the flanges, they're just great.

Oct 19, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH
Probably I should try the grey tips from Shure and need to find out what size is the best. Any other ideas ? or should i go get the UM56 ? I think it's better than spending money with foamies.

The fit kit from earphonesolutions doesn't come with the triflange.

[size=x-small]
Unfortunately that 's how they come form the manufacturer but we are now selling the new Tri flanges that cost only $9.99 for 3 pairs. One pair used to cost almost $12 (if I remember this right) but now you can get them for $3.33 per pair. I think it may have something to do with patents.

My earphones of choice are the UM2 with the short ComplyTips. We have many customers that love the tri-flanges and some that hate them. I'm in the group that hate the tri-flanges simply because they won't stay in my right ear canal (too narrow). This is all DNA so you really need to try them to see what will work best. Not only comfort but as others have pointed out, the sound will change a lot as well. The soft flex will in general cause a brighter output and the ComplyTips a more muffled sound (in the good sense) which I love. [/size]

Oct 19, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 39
I finally can contribute to this thread.

I as some of you feel, that the highs is not enough.
I can't really order the tri-flange as i live here down under (NZ) as the shipping will be expensive as some only do DHL/UPS and the sort.

Thanks for a fellow head-fiers that point to a different website that is happy to send the flange in normal post. And here i am.

I try the tri and it makes it sounds like a "cheap" radio. where is my beautiful mid and bass? so i cut the smallest tip to convert it to bi and whoa. yes, i'm a happy chap now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back