Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #139 of 3,037
I had to call Westone today (have to replace my new UM30's) - I asked tech support if there's a difference between the old models (UM3X, 4R, etc) and the new ones - answer: cosmetics only - sound will be as identical as possible. New casing / I think he said a little better cable - but he said the sound is already great - no need to change...

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #140 of 3,037
Very interesting views, quite different from the impressions i've had from this thread...i guess we will be seeing many more opposing views in the next few weeks/months
Edit: am i the only one who thinks the w series faceplates are really ugly? Or is it just unflaterring photography

well it will be subjective views. 

really anyone who pulls the trigger on the new line probably isnt going to be biased and they are going to more than likely give it raving reviews, subjective becuase they spent their money on it.

as far as it just being a cosmetic change, i feel we will hear mimicking reviews that are much like the older style, since sound is going to be the same. only thing different in the reviews IMO are going to be the differences in the cosmetics, and thats going to be up to the person at hand if thats their style or not.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #141 of 3,037
I am a happy owner of the UM3X. I really enjoy their signature. I could have gone the customs route, but preferred to stay with IEMs for various reasons, and the UM3X just fit the role.
Yesterday one of the drivers in the right housing failed it seems (noticeably quieter than left speaker), and I am now handing it over for repairs and will probably buy the UM 30 Pro while the old ones are being repaired (and to have a spare set etc.).

I was using the UM3X extensively over the last 2 weeks and the memory is still fresh. I will try to compare the two for those still wondering if there is a difference in sound. My bet is the changes are only cosmetic, but we'll see.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #142 of 3,037
Bought the PRO 30 today. Spent most of the day with them. Here are my thoughts and impressions:

1. Design and build. Improved, without a doubt. The housing is smaller, definitely sturdier. Feels more damage-proof than the UM3X (whose housing fell apart numerous times, with glue drying out). The cable is OK. I can really appreciate the rubberised cable braiding bit that goes behind the ear. Not a big fan of the connectors. Ergonomically, the PRO 30 is clearly superior to UM3X (for me), of course having in mind that physiology of the ear canal differs for everyone. Due to smaller housing, they sit comfortably in the pinna. Which results in better isolation than with UM3X, due to them not moving and sitting flush. Tested with an hour worth of playing drums. Overall, I'm pleased with the improvements.

2. Sound. Can't notice any difference. Upon first listen, I thought I noticed that they are a bit rougher and wobbly on higher volumes, while also being a bit harder to drive. But I thought that was due to not using any headphones for a couple of days, with ears taking a break of sorts. That seems to be the case. I can't hear anything that would suggest they tampered with sound signature, balance, soundstage, tone and all that stuff. Maybe I'm not trying though, which again (in my opinion) proves the point that the sound is the same, and I don't have to try and find the differences, they are just not there.

3. Conclusion. For someone on the fence, the PRO 30 are the ones to get if you were planning on getting the UM3X. Even with the UM3X price going down, I would still pay the difference and pick the new edition over the old one. But most improvements come to light under specific circumstances, in my case while on the drums, and may not be as beneficial to others. But if you own UM3X, there's absolutely no reason to even consider purchasing this facelifted offering. I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that Westone went for iteration rather than improvement, but I guess they wanted to nip and tuck the workhorse and bring it more or less to today's standards. To conclude, I am a bit disappointed, although still quite satisfied, since I just love my UM3X, and wouldn't have bought the PRO30 if the right speaker didn't fail. And the PRO 30 is basically just that -  prettier, slightly improved (design-wise) UM3X.

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #143 of 3,037
  Bought the PRO 30 today. Spent most of the day with them. Here are my thoughts and impressions:

1. Design and build.The housing is smaller, definitely sturdier. Feels more damage-proof than the UM3X (whose housing fell apart numerous times, with glue drying out).

Nice write up.  Can you elaborate above?  The UM series uses a very dense plastic on the housing.  Seems virtually shatter proof and indestructible.  You say you had one "fall apart?

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #144 of 3,037
Ah i happen

1. Design and build. Improved, without a doubt. The housing is smaller, definitely sturdier. Feels more damage-proof than the UM3X (whose housing fell apart numerous times, with glue drying out). The cable is OK. I can really appreciate the rubberised cable braiding bit that goes behind the ear. Not a big fan of the connectors. Ergonomically, the PRO 30 is clearly superior to UM3X (for me), of course having in mind that physiology of the ear canal differs for everyone. Due to smaller housing, they sit comfortably in the pinna. Which results in better isolation than with UM3X, due to them not moving and sitting flush. Tested with an hour worth of playing drums. Overall, I'm pleased with the improvements.

2. Sound. Can't notice any difference. Upon first listen, I thought I noticed that they are a bit rougher and wobbly on higher volumes, while also being a bit harder to drive. But I thought that was due to not using any headphones for a couple of days, with ears taking a break of sorts. That seems to be the case. I can't hear anything that would suggest they tampered with sound signature, balance, soundstage, tone and all that stuff. Maybe I'm not trying though, which again (in my opinion) proves the point that the sound is the same, and I don't have to try and find the differences, they are just not there.

3. Conclusion. For someone on the fence, the PRO 30 are the ones to get if you were planning on getting the UM3X. Even with the UM3X price going down, I would still pay the difference and pick the new edition over the old one. But most improvements come to light under specific circumstances, in my case while on the drums, and may not be as beneficial to others. But if you own UM3X, there's absolutely no reason to even consider purchasing this facelifted offering. I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that Westone went for iteration rather than improvement, but I guess they wanted to nip and tuck the workhorse and bring it more or less to today's standards. To conclude, I am a bit disappointed, although still quite satisfied, since I just love my UM3X, and wouldn't have bought the PRO30 if the right speaker didn't fail. And the PRO 30 is basically just that -  prettier, slightly improved (design-wise) UM3X.

Ah i happen to be one of those people considering the um3x rc...i'm a student so the higher pricing of the um30 might be a pinch.
P.S you mentioned that the um3x price was going down, but everywhere i've looked online there hasnt been any change, or am i looking in te wrong place

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #146 of 3,037
Nice write up.  Can you elaborate above?  The UM series uses a very dense plastic on the housing.  Seems virtually shatter proof and indestructible.  You say you had one "fall apart?

You are right by saying the UM3X housing plastic is virtually shatter proof. What I meant was that it opened up, probably due to glue drying up. The housing consists of 3 parts, the two halves which hold together with pegs, and a sound barrell (sorry, not sure of the exact word), which goes on top and further secures the construction. The glue lost its seal and those three details loosened up. The PRO 30 seems to address this, but one must push it through heavy usage to admit or deny that claim.

Ah i happen
Ah i happen to be one of those people considering the um3x rc...i'm a student so the higher pricing of the um30 might be a pinch.
P.S you mentioned that the um3x price was going down, but everywhere i've looked online there hasnt been any change, or am i looking in te wrong place

Sorry if I confused anyone with that statement. I just thought that it would be logical for the UM3X prices to go down once the new model starts appearing in stock. Maybe it is still too early to expect price drops at this point.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #147 of 3,037
IMO, the UM3X looks more professional though haha. I also prefer the old connector to the new connectors. Was betting on the sound of the new UM30 to improve on the treble and soundstage of UM3X but well. Disappointment presides. Disappointing releases from Westone this year..

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #148 of 3,037
IMO, the UM3X looks more professional though haha. I also prefer the old connector to the new connectors. Was betting on the sound of the new UM30 to improve on the treble and soundstage of UM3X but well. Disappointment presides. Disappointing releases from Westone this year..

i agree with you heavy, 2 PIN connector was solid, i havent heard many if any complaint between the um3x and w4r, you could use a jh cable with the westones which gives you a little more options...of course the mmcx coonector means you could use cables from the ultimate ears and shure family, so a little more cable options there...but still 2 pin was better IMO.

i dont think westone looks at it like that, but they are also biased becuase it seems like they are leaving their audiophile followers for mediocrity, trying to make face plates and changing everything but the sound. they should have changed the sound and kept everything the same i think people would be more apt for that, thats the benifit you want with a new iem, new sound......if my w4r sound like the w40 why would i upgrade? no reason to.

I Love westone and wish they would have made a better approach to these new IEMS it seems like they wanted to create a new product and not put the RnD into better sound quality, the easist and cheapest way to revamp a product is to reconfigure or change the looks vs change what in this case makes the Westones and thats sound quality. seems they took the easy way out.

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #149 of 3,037
I wouldn't be as quick to bash them. My guess is their projections indicate there is still demand for their line up, but supplies and materials for the old models were running thin, and they decided to update the look and feel while possibly increasing their margins in the long run. It's business. I don't see that downfall to mediocrity many of the users seem to note. Their product is still competitive, although maybe with too familiar a face. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced new top tier product soon, also.

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #150 of 3,037
I wouldn't be as quick to bash them. My guess is their projections indicate there is still demand for their line up, but supplies and materials for the old models were running thin, and they decided to update the look and feel while possibly increasing their margins in the long run. It's business. I don't see that downfall to mediocrity many of the users seem to note. Their product is still competitive, although maybe with too familiar a face. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced new top tier product soon, also.

a new top tier universal would be nice, something above the W line. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back