Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #91 of 3,037
Why the dissapointment?
IMHO, between the W3, W4 and UM3X that pretty much covers 3 different types of "high-end" sound to fit anyone's needs.   What other product or sound improvement are you looking for in a universal that they don't already offer?

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #92 of 3,037
  Why the dissapointment?
IMHO, between the W3, W4 and UM3X that pretty much covers 3 different types of "high-end" sound to fit anyone's needs.   What other product or sound improvement are you looking for in a universal that they don't already offer?

The disappointment stems from misleading marketing claims that the products presented are new as opposed to repackaged with a slight variation in appearance and the cable connections.  At no time did I comment negatively about Westone's original line up.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #93 of 3,037
What do you mean?  They ARE new products.  Auto dealers do the same thing every year.

Now if you read marketing claims that they were "better sounding" yet nothing was done to change the sound....well yea, then you would certainly have a legitimate gripe but that's not the case.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #94 of 3,037
Westone said the new W series is "The new generation of the Westone series" and basically the same thing for the UM Pro series. Typically in a new generation you expect some kind of performance gain. Imagine if Intel released a new core product and ask they did was change the heatsink.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #95 of 3,037
  What do you mean?  They ARE new products.  Auto dealers do the same thing every year.

Now if you read marketing claims that they were "better sounding" yet nothing was done to change the sound....well yea, then you would certainly have a legitimate gripe but that's not the case.

Auto dealers do not.  When a product receives a middle lifespan refresh that's how it's presented.  i.e. Options packages change or the grill and lights are modified.  A complete revision is noted as such with a list of changes (new motor,suspension, body panels et al...).

The big question here is how different the new and old models Westone's presenting are.  On Facebook it was claimed that the new model have a more refined tuning.  It was a short response to a question but it was answered by a Westone representative.  True or not?

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #96 of 3,037
Yea, I see your point and it was wrong for Westone rep to do that on facebook or twitter or wherever.

So again,  only a "cosmetic" facelift to keep up with what more manufacturers are doing in terms of cable type I guess.

I'm glad there are no SQ changes.  Wallet cant handle it.

But I'd disagree on the auto manufacturer. More often than not there is a subtle tweak to a grill or a tail light or interior clock or a new color being offered....but it's basically the same car, same engine, 90% of same parts used year over year.  This is done a lot.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #97 of 3,037
Oct 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #98 of 3,037
It really depends on what you interpret to mean 'a more refined tuning' ...maybe for some it just means presenting te same sound signature with *minor* tweaks, but with a aesthetic facelift (which i like alot) then we can't say westone was misrepresenting info can we?

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #99 of 3,037
It really depends on what you interpret to mean 'a more refined tuning' ...maybe for some it just means presenting te same sound signature with *minor* tweaks, but with a aesthetic facelift (which i like alot) then we can't say westone was misrepresenting info can we?

More refined means there has been a positive change resulting in a better sound.  It's not about interpretation it's about simple English.  This isn't a thematic exploration of Shakespeare's sonnets.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #100 of 3,037

refined -

adjective  
: free of unwanted substances

: improved to be more precise or exact

: having or showing the good education, polite manners, etc., that are expected in people who belong to a high social class

ksc75smile.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #104 of 3,037
Just to add to the confusion....one of my contacts over at Earphone Solutions states that the UMPro 30 seems a little brighter than UM3X....which is what Zalithian hinted to last week.

That would definitely be an improvemnent in the right direction but it's driving me crazy that IF THERE IS A CHANGE....why can't the manufacturer or the dealers DEFINITIVELY say there is???

I personally would take the UM3X over the W4 as is.  But with a bit more treble??   No brainer......

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #105 of 3,037
It seems like that might be the case that there is more treble in the 30's. Soundstage wise I don't feel like there's much if any difference (as expected since it's a monitor, also, memory is really unreliable). Even though it had been a long time since I heard the UM3X I felt like the treble certainly has more energy in the UM Pro 30's than the UM3X, but unfortunately I haven't been able to A/B. I wouldn't be opposed to sending someone my UM Pro 30's to do a direct comparison. I've been kind of holding off on impressions and things based on the confusion over whether or not they sound the same as the UM3X. I also don't think my friend will be in town tomorrow, but I will find that out tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back