Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Mar 27, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,776 of 3,037
Do Westone sell replacement shells? My um3x have been reshelled and the left side loses it's seal when I move my jaw. Inearz (where I got them reshelled) don't do reshells anymore for universal inear headphones. I don't have the original shells anymore and I'm wondering if I could reverse them from customs to universals.

um3x is very old, introduced over 10 years ago, beyond warranty even after it was discontinued; don't believe they would keep spare parts for it. Maybe you can find some cheap used ones?

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #2,778 of 3,037
Yes they're old but I still like how they sound. Is there still a company that does reshells? I just hate it to throw them away.

Inearz was the last hope here in US, and they did a very good job. But that's in the past.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #2,779 of 3,037
Hi everyone,

Few weeks ago I was looking for an IEM that would work during flights which I do very often due to my work. The seller in Poland recommended UM Pro 30 and I couldn't be happier. They are very comfortable, provide very good isolation and I really enjoy their relaxed laid back sound. Is there any IEM you would consider as an upgrade? Something with a bit more treble, air and clarity but in general following the same sound philosophy. Any ideas? :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #2,780 of 3,037
Here's pics on how to remove easily.
The drill bit needs to be angled so it catches the lip of the acoustic filter. Some pressure against the wall while pulling it out is needed so the bit doesn't slip free.
You might damage nozzle easily acting like this. You need a tiny screw of appropriate diameter to extract dampers.Twist it couple times until you feel it has good grip with damper enclosure, then drag it out coaxially. No angle needed. Professional extracting tool uses same principle.

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #2,781 of 3,037
Do Westone sell replacement shells? My um3x have been reshelled and the left side loses it's seal when I move my jaw. Inearz (where I got them reshelled) don't do reshells anymore for universal inear headphones. I don't have the original shells anymore and I'm wondering if I could reverse them from customs to universals.
We can help with such works, pm me if needed.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,782 of 3,037
You might damage nozzle easily acting like this. You need a tiny screw of appropriate diameter to extract dampers.Twist it couple times until you feel it has good grip with damper enclosure, then drag it out coaxially. No angle needed. Professional extracting tool uses same principle.

Yeah, the angle is not to put stress on the nozzle. Just to catch the lip.

The actual knowles tool ($$$) expands inside the filter. I have ordered a different threaded style extraction tool to try as the Ety one doesn't work.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #2,783 of 3,037
There are plenty of iems where dampers sit deeper and you will deform/crack nozzle trying to create needed angle or apply strenth needed for extraction. For instance, you will 100% fail trying to apply this method to W4. I mean of course it may work if damper sits close to end of the nozzle and fit is not tight. But in this case even needle will do as well. There is no need in special knowles tool expanding inside, appropriate screw will cope with any case. We have such tool in our workshop but still use plain threaded instrument very close to regular screw, just longer.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,784 of 3,037
Hi everyone,

Few weeks ago I was looking for an IEM that would work during flights which I do very often due to my work. The seller in Poland recommended UM Pro 30 and I couldn't be happier. They are very comfortable, provide very good isolation and I really enjoy their relaxed laid back sound. Is there any IEM you would consider as an upgrade? Something with a bit more treble, air and clarity but in general following the same sound philosophy. Any ideas? :)

Perhaps, UM Pro 50, but make sure it's gen 2 latest version.

Mar 29, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #2,787 of 3,037
Speaking of UM Pro 50 highs, filters, reshells and such - my headphone shop where I live turned out to be a very good service that does reshells, changes filters, has them in stock. I will just pay this little extra they charge for service and try changing its signature towards a little more highs, and then see what happens. One thing they said was, because it's one sound channel, changing filter will also impact lows, they say there will be more highs, but less lows with other filters. Is that true?

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,789 of 3,037
There are plenty of iems where dampers sit deeper and you will deform/crack nozzle trying to create needed angle or apply strenth needed for extraction. For instance, you will 100% fail trying to apply this method to W4. I mean of course it may work if damper sits close to end of the nozzle and fit is not tight. But in this case even needle will do as well. There is no need in special knowles tool expanding inside, appropriate screw will cope with any case. We have such tool in our workshop but still use plain threaded instrument very close to regular screw, just longer.

True. This method is specific to the UM Pro V2.

Speaking of UM Pro 50 highs, filters, reshells and such - my headphone shop where I live turned out to be a very good service that does reshells, changes filters, has them in stock. I will just pay this little extra they charge for service and try changing its signature towards a little more highs, and then see what happens. One thing they said was, because it's one sound channel, changing filter will also impact lows, they say there will be more highs, but less lows with other filters. Is that true?

Yes and no. It will sound like there are less lows as the highs will now be more balanced with the lows. The filter change to one with less resistance will attenuate less and allow more high frequencies through. The output of the BA's will not change.

In other news, the threaded style extraction tool I bought a few weeks ago showed up. Works excellent for extraction and installation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...nics-Acoustic-in-ear-monitor/32898287693.html

20190329_143401.jpg

20190329_143523.jpg

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #2,790 of 3,037
True. This method is specific to the UM Pro V2.

Yes and no. It will sound like there are less lows as the highs will now be more balanced with the lows. The filter change to one with less resistance will attenuate less and allow more high frequencies through. The output of the BA's will not change.

In other news, the threaded style extraction tool I bought a few weeks ago showed up. Works excellent for extraction and installation.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...nics-Acoustic-in-ear-monitor/32898287693.html

Who would have thought such thing even existed! Does these damping filters have a threaded part to "catch" with this tool or do you "catch" the filter as you turn it?

Still, I would suggest to be very careful even with such easy to use tool, cause these nozzles are so narrow. If you crack or even scratch it, the 2 years warranty will be voided if you have to send it to Westone for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back