Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #2,791 of 3,037
Speaking of UM Pro 50 highs, filters, reshells and such - my headphone shop where I live turned out to be a very good service that does reshells, changes filters, has them in stock. I will just pay this little extra they charge for service and try changing its signature towards a little more highs, and then see what happens. One thing they said was, because it's one sound channel, changing filter will also impact lows, they say there will be more highs, but less lows with other filters. Is that true?

Do you mind sharing more info about that shop? Since Inearz (in Florida, US) no longer do re-shelling, more and more people been asking about the alternative. This could help others, even if it's international place relative to where others live. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Vesperaudio is in Ukraine.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,792 of 3,037
Who would have thought such thing even existed! Does these damping filters have a threaded part to "catch" with this tool or do you "catch" the filter as you turn it?

Still, I would suggest to be very careful even with such easy to use tool, cause these nozzles are so narrow. If you crack or even scratch it, the 2 years warranty will be voided if you have to send it to Westone for repair.

The end of the filters curl inwards. There is an easy to catch lip these thread into.

With this tool no longer is there a worry about damaging the nozzle if you are ham handed/fumble fingered.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #2,793 of 3,037
The end of the filters curl inwards. There is an easy to catch lip these thread into.

With this tool no longer is there a worry about damaging the nozzle if you are ham handed/fumble fingered.

But you can scratch inner tube of the nozzle or not?

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #2,795 of 3,037
Do you mind sharing more info about that shop? Since Inearz (in Florida, US) no longer do re-shelling, more and more people been asking about the alternative. This could help others, even if it's international place relative to where others live. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Vesperaudio is in Ukraine.
It's called Doctorhead. It's a very large headphone/earphone/music equipment store in Moscow and Saint Petersburg in Russia, and also they have a service department that does all kinds of custom stuff including reshells, custom shells and such. They do work all across Russia via mail, but I am not sure they have international services - I will be there today and I can ask.

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #2,796 of 3,037
Yes and no. It will sound like there are less lows as the highs will now be more balanced with the lows. The filter change to one with less resistance will attenuate less and allow more high frequencies through. The output of the BA's will not change.
That's what I was expecting actually. It would be really strange if having less resistance to the air would make lows less prominent for some reason. Obviously perceived frequency response would shift towards highs, but that is expected. What kind of filter would you recommend to start with if I want to raise highs by 2-3 dB relative to stock UM Pro 50 highs?

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #2,797 of 3,037
That's what I was expecting actually. It would be really strange if having less resistance to the air would make lows less prominent for some reason. Obviously perceived frequency response would shift towards highs, but that is expected. What kind of filter would you recommend to start with if I want to raise highs by 2-3 dB relative to stock UM Pro 50 highs?

Where I got the idea from is here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/05/shure-se535.html
(from this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se5...re-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers.663273/ )

Fortunately he took measurements of the different filters on the SE535 that show how they affect the FR.
shure knowles damper.jpg

If you have a Green filter stock like the UM Pro 10 does, I would suggest going to the Brown or White. I settled on White originally but once I exposed the nozzle more I changed to the Brown ones.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #2,798 of 3,037
If you have a Green filter stock like the UM Pro 10 does, I would suggest going to the Brown or White. I settled on White originally but once I exposed the nozzle more I changed to the Brown ones.
I looked into the nozzle and it doesn't look green. It's white or gray, it's hard to say not having other filters on hand to compare. Most probably it's white, and it's the same color as W60 have.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,800 of 3,037
Was B50 released? Anyone tried. How does compare to W60 and W80?

B30/B50 going to be different from W-series, with a lot more focus to cater basshead audiophiles. Don't know if it has been released officially, not even listed for sale on Westone site yet.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #2,803 of 3,037
IMG_0296.jpg

I know the consensus is that the new B models are for bassheads, but I think it's highly possible the b is for bluetooth cable.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,804 of 3,037

I know the consensus is that the new B models are for bassheads, but I think it's highly possible the b is for bluetooth cable.

Oh, we got it straight from the horse's mouth, @BKG22 , both B30 and B50 are intended for bass lovers :) Btw, all new W-series v2 IEMs now come with a bluetooth cable, W10/20/40/60/80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back