Westone UM PRO Series Thread
May 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,626 of 3,037
I have been using the ALO Tinsel on both of my Westone (W60 and UMPro30). It's a well made and works great.

It's also nice and thin, not as thing at the one you are using now but thinner than others.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #2,627 of 3,037
I have been using the ALO Tinsel on both of my Westone (W60 and UMPro30). It's a well made and works great.

It's also nice and thin, not as thing at the one you are using now but thinner than others.
Thanks I checked ALO site they have amazing deal also I checked NULL AUDIO luna cable they have very good review
I am between this 2 and prices are almost same when it comes include shipping
Regarding ALO TINSEL have you notice any improvement on sound ?

May 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,628 of 3,037
Hi can someone suggest me a good upgrade balanced cable for my UM PRO 50 now I am using with LINUM BAX 3.5
By the way I am super happy with it but I want to try balance out with my upcoming Hiby r6

Can I ask you, why do you want a balanced cable?
Thanks I checked ALO site they have amazing deal also I checked NULL AUDIO luna cable they have very good review
I am between this 2 and prices are almost same when it comes include shipping
Regarding ALO TINSEL have you notice any improvement on sound ?

Try ALO Ref8 cable, the same one included with W80 and ES80. It does have some microphonics (shirt clip would be beneficial), but the pair up is quite good!

May 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #2,629 of 3,037
Hi Twister
Now I got only DRF RED runs with IPhone X
In few days I will get HIBY R6 so I really want to try balance out unfortunately there is no place to try or even to buy a cable here
I bought linum bax according to your review
Really worth

May 9, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,630 of 3,037
Hi Twister
Now I got only DRF RED runs with IPhone X
In few days I will get HIBY R6 so I really want to try balance out unfortunately there is no place to try or even to buy a cable here
I bought linum bax according to your review
Really worth

IMHO, don't buy any cables yet. You are getting a new DAP with a more resolving sound and a lot of fun controls (Magic8 dsp effects are very nice). Balanced not gonna make such a big difference here. You can always try it later. For now, just wait for your DAP and spend some time with Um Pro, Linum, and R6. If you like BaX pair up, might as well upgrade to balanced terminated BaX later :wink:

May 21, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #2,632 of 3,037
Hello, after spending a couple years in the desktop headphones world, I'm obviously brand new to the world of IEMs. I have a budget of $500 and want to get a good first IEM.

I stumbled upon Westone and specifically the UM Pro 50 model that is said to be a good fit for classical, which I tend to listen to the most. However, I also read that the 50 is for stage musicians, and I don't know what that entails. Does it mean the music is going to sonically sound like a live environment? Or is the listener supposed to be performing on stage while wearing them? I'm intending to plug the 50 to my DP-X1A DAP for on-the-go listening sessions if that is a good combination.

May 21, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,633 of 3,037
Hello, after spending a couple years in the desktop headphones world, I'm obviously brand new to the world of IEMs. I have a budget of $500 and want to get a good first IEM.

I stumbled upon Westone and specifically the UM Pro 50 model that is said to be a good fit for classical, which I tend to listen to the most. However, I also read that the 50 is for stage musicians, and I don't know what that entails. Does it mean the music is going to sonically sound like a live environment? Or is the listener supposed to be performing on stage while wearing them? I'm intending to plug the 50 to my DP-X1A DAP for on-the-go listening sessions if that is a good combination.

One of the big differences is the width/depth of soundstage expansion where typically a musician performing on stage uses IEM as a monitor and doesn't need to be distracted by an imaging spread, though Um Pro 50 is the widest in that series. You also have other less consumer oriented details like W series has interchangeable faceplates or a cable without pre-shaped springy earhook, while UM pro series focus is to keep iem secure in your ear with an updated more ergonomic shape and a cable with that pre-shaped earhook heat-shrink part. Also, as you get into higher end W series, those are targeted toward an audiophile crowd with more critical listening demands, while Um Pro transforms into Am Pro series with an ambient filter for a true stage performance when a musician doesn't want to be completely isolated from outside crowd. There is a gray area in the middle where UM Pro 50 is kind of a little bit of everything, and its low-end performance is good for classical music where you want a good balance with deep bass notes.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,634 of 3,037
Had my um pro 30 for almost a year, but it's only in the last couple of months I started to really appreciate it. I remember when I first had it I thought the bass was a bit overdone and the treble lacked sparkle, but once got used to the sound (though it really took a long time), I found that the treble was there just presented in a more natural way instead of in your face, and the bass was really nicely done to add enough warmth, altogether making it such a musical and effortless listening experience.

I have more expensive IEMs like Andromeda, K10 and U4-SE, all of which destroy the um pro 30 in resolution, timbre and extension, but none of them could really replace it. When I'm doing something and just want some music playing in the background, or when I'm feeling lazy and just wanna lie down and waste some time, I still reach out for the um pro 30 expecting a sound that is cohesive, intimate and fatigue free.

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,635 of 3,037
Had my um pro 30 for almost a year, but it's only in the last couple of months I started to really appreciate it. I remember when I first had it I thought the bass was a bit overdone and the treble lacked sparkle, but once got used to the sound (though it really took a long time), I found that the treble was there just presented in a more natural way instead of in your face, and the bass was really nicely done to add enough warmth, altogether making it such a musical and effortless listening experience.

I have more expensive IEMs like Andromeda, K10 and U4-SE, all of which destroy the um pro 30 in resolution, timbre and extension, but none of them could really replace it. When I'm doing something and just want some music playing in the background, or when I'm feeling lazy and just wanna lie down and waste some time, I still reach out for the um pro 30 expecting a sound that is cohesive, intimate and fatigue free.

Yes, brain "burn in" plays important role, but it also depends on what you're listening to before switching to an IEM like UM Pro 30 which has a more natural smoother "less revealing" tonality. Andro and K10 will be brighter, even U4-SE will be more revealing. So it will take a little bit of time for your ears to adjust when you are switching. Also, UM Pro 30 will be more forgiving with poorly recorded tracks, and I find it to be one of those all-rounders monitors which nicely compliments other more resolving ones. Because I review and compare a lot of iems, every time I have a more analytically tuned iems I keep catching myself analyzing the sound rather than enjoying listening to the music. Sometimes, it's nice to take a break with a smoother tuned iems, and I do agree with you, Pro30 is a good example.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,636 of 3,037
Yes, brain "burn in" plays important role, but it also depends on what you're listening to before switching to an IEM like UM Pro 30 which has a more natural smoother "less revealing" tonality. Andro and K10 will be brighter, even U4-SE will be more revealing. So it will take a little bit of time for your ears to adjust when you are switching. Also, UM Pro 30 will be more forgiving with poorly recorded tracks, and I find it to be one of those all-rounders monitors which nicely compliments other more resolving ones. Because I review and compare a lot of iems, every time I have a more analytically tuned iems I keep catching myself analyzing the sound rather than enjoying listening to the music. Sometimes, it's nice to take a break with a smoother tuned iems, and I do agree with you, Pro30 is a good example.
Hi twister! Love your review, especially the comparisons part, which have become my essential reading before buying any IEMs. I bought U4-SE after reading your review and have been very happy with them. Thanks man!

Back to the topic.. I really like the laid back character of the upper mid and lower treble of the um pro 30. I see people concerning about the sibilance all the time, but for me the overly forward sounding upper mid combined with low quality recordings is what makes it sound harsh and fatiguing. And um pro 30 makes all those old time jazz and alternative rock recordings much easier to enjoy.

And thats what concerning me when I think about upgrading to the um pro 50 v2. In your review of the um pro series v2, you mentioned the most noticeable improvements from v2 are the upper mid and lower treble. May I ask if it’s more of an improvement on quality, or more like in quantity like just bring it forward? And since I could get um pro 50 v2 and W60 at the same price, do you think the latter still have some advantages over the updated um pro 50?

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,637 of 3,037
Hi twister! Love your review, especially the comparisons part, which have become my essential reading before buying any IEMs. I bought U4-SE after reading your review and have been very happy with them. Thanks man!

Back to the topic.. I really like the laid back character of the upper mid and lower treble of the um pro 30. I see people concerning about the sibilance all the time, but for me the overly forward sounding upper mid combined with low quality recordings is what makes it sound harsh and fatiguing. And um pro 30 makes all those old time jazz and alternative rock recordings much easier to enjoy.

And thats what concerning me when I think about upgrading to the um pro 50 v2. In your review of the um pro series v2, you mentioned the most noticeable improvements from v2 are the upper mid and lower treble. May I ask if it’s more of an improvement on quality, or more like in quantity like just bring it forward? And since I could get um pro 50 v2 and W60 at the same price, do you think the latter still have some advantages over the updated um pro 50?

v2 Pro 50 is more of an improvement in technical quality, the sound is more transparent (less colored), it has more resolution, more clarity, and sounds leaner in tonality (not as thick, leaner body). Don't want to sound cliche, but it's one of those cases where it feels like a veil was lifted off. Maybe not an extreme night'n'day change, but it's definitely noticeable. Also, just a personal preference which has also a lot to do with ear anatomy, but I have been digging new v2 umpro shell, feels more secure in my ears.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,638 of 3,037
v2 Pro 50 is more of an improvement in technical quality, the sound is more transparent (less colored), it has more resolution, more clarity, and sounds leaner in tonality (not as thick, leaner body). Don't want to sound cliche, but it's one of those cases where it feels like a veil was lifted off. Maybe not an extreme night'n'day change, but it's definitely noticeable. Also, just a personal preference which has also a lot to do with ear anatomy, but I have been digging new v2 umpro shell, feels more secure in my ears.
Well that makes me assured a lot. And I do agree the um pro (v1) shell is THE most comfortable in every IEMs I’ve tried. Thanks for the answer.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #2,639 of 3,037
So the right side on my UMPRO30s has stopped working.
It was intermittent at first and seemed to be an issue with the connector, but now it will not work at all. I swapped sides on the cable to isolate the issue to the earphone or the cable and the right earphone does not work connected to either side of the cable, while the left does.

I sent them in to Westone and they said:
Your Umpro30 has been processed through our testing lab and the result was a right side driver failure. Unfortunately we do not have a repair service available for our universal monitors and being your Umpro30's are currently out of warranty we are unable to replace them under warranty.

They offered to replace them for $300, but I passed on that.

It seems to me that the issue is in the MMCX connector since, at first, it would still work when the cable was oriented a specific way, then it stopped working altogether.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the connector on the UM Pros? Is there a guide or another thread where someone has gone through this? I wouldn't even care if the cables were nonremoveable.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,640 of 3,037
Unfortunately we do not have a repair service available for our universal monitors

So does this mean Westone does not have any repair service for their Universal Monitors?
I've always liked my Westone IEMs, however if this is the case I can say I will not be a repeat customer to a company who cannot/will not repair their offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back