Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Apr 25, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #2,266 of 3,037
A new tip that tones down the low end and gives life to the high end?

I cannot possibly express just how dissatisfied I am with the 30.

:frowning2:

I was under the impression that these were like studio monitors. My only real experience with a studio monitor was a Rokit RP6 G2. These sound NOTHING like those. The UM Pro 30 has less treble than anything I've ever heard. It's the epitome of a life sucking IEM.

I have some Beyer DT880's now and that's the sound signature I'll be looking for in an IEM...if possible.

Anyway, sorry this post came out so negative. I have an understanding of why it is the way it is and at the very least I know to be wary when someone says "warm or dark" sounding and minimal sound stage.

You know I actually appreciate this post because I think it does a great job of showing this disconnect between Westone and literally ALL other brands out there. 

For all that I can tell, Westone is the only brand out there with two distinct product lines. One for performing musicians (UM Pro) and another for Personal listening to mastered music (W line). 

When plugging into a belt pack or mixing board it is a VERY different experience than when plugging into, let's say an Astell and Kern product. The needs of the musician on stage is actually VERY different than that of personal listening. I had the pleasure of plugging my W80s into the mixing board of the band Perry during a concert and it sounded HORRIBLE. The lows were no where to be found but when I swapped them out to the UM 50 it sounded amazing. The full set up is very different with live preforming and the sound is VERY different . I am sure many musicians can back me up here 

The UM series was designed for Musicians and is tuned for them which means a lower end sound signature. I am not sure where this messaging gets lost because it has always been designed and advertised that way. Those people that like a warmer sound signature tend to like the UM series but mastered music and audiophiles do not and rightfully so because is wasn't ever designed for them. 

The W series is what you are looking for and is for mastered music. 

Frankly speaking, if you are on this thread and are debating the audiophile quality of the UM Pro series then you are in the wrong place. The UM Pro series is much warmer than the W series because it was designed as a tool for live performance audio. Many like the warmer sound signature. Myself included as the UM Pro 50 are my favorite but audiophiles will not. That is what the W series is for and it produces a much flatter signature.

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,268 of 3,037

I often hear "rolled off" highs to describe the UM Pro 30's. I would describe them as a headphone that emphasizes the low end, with a smooth mid range, and then the frequency response "drops off a cliff."

But we all have different ears. Personally, I have always avoided anything said to be "bright" and for whatever reason thought warm = preferred. I have often read the Beyer 880 to be described as hot in the treble or sibilant, harsh, etc. But for me, it's as if a giant sock has been removed from my ears and I can actually HEAR music. This also helps me to understand why a Sennheiser HD580 + Little Dot MK III bored me.

The Selena Gomez & Kygo It Ain't Me track @ 2:15 perfectly describes my issue with the UM Pro 30:

*slightly NWS*
https://youtu.be/h_pAXIF2yDY

When the "snap" comes in, the DT880 Chrome 250 Ohm + FiiO A5 out of my meager iPhone 6S Plus "EXCITES" me and whatever limb can be moved or mobile will go on a little dance.

With the UM Pro 30, it's as if the volume of the snap itself is lowered AND the actual snap takes place in a sound deadening box. That part of the track does nothing for me.

Another great example is Skyscaper by Demi Lovato. The UM Pro 30 again stuffs a sock in her mouth.

Finally, the warnings and cautions of "intimate" soundstage I sadly ignored thinking...Well, I like Grados and folks say they have a smaller soundstage. The UM Pro 30 has no stage. It's as if every instrument's being played inches from each other.

The level of detail and low end of this IEM as well as comfort truly impress me. I can absolutely see how this would be the a great IEM for a stage performer that needs to feel the beat, and hear a their vocals smoothly so as not to fatigue their ears.

I wanted so badly to like them, but it's time to move on.

To Follow up on my previous post I agree with you but I think if you were tied into her monitor box at a live performance you'd be very happy with them but your needs you just don't have the right model. Your screen shot calls that out as it is called for performing musicians. Also, with very sensitive earphones like Westone, I'd warn about judging our earphones by youtube videos. File type/quality means something. You know what they say, crap in crap out. I've PM'ed you and would love to continue this conversation with the right earphones publicly. I think it would be very educational based on this thread... more to come

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,269 of 3,037
You know I actually appreciate this post because I think it does a great job of showing this disconnect between Westone and literally ALL other brands out there. 

For all that I can tell, Westone is the only brand out there with two distinct product lines. One for performing musicians (UM Pro) and another for Personal listening to mastered music (W line). 

When plugging into a belt pack or mixing board it is a VERY different experience than when plugging into, let's say an Astell and Kern product. The needs of the musician on stage is actually VERY different than that of personal listening. I had the pleasure of plugging my W80s into the mixing board of the band Perry during a concert and it sounded HORRIBLE. The lows were no where to be found but when I swapped them out to the UM 50 it sounded amazing. The full set up is very different with live preforming and the sound is VERY different . I am sure many musicians can back me up here 

The UM series was designed for Musicians and is tuned for them which means a lower end sound signature. I am not sure where this messaging gets lost because it has always been designed and advertised that way. Those people that like a warmer sound signature tend to like the UM series but mastered music and audiophiles do not and rightfully so because is wasn't ever designed for them. 

The W series is what you are looking for and is for mastered music. 

Frankly speaking, if you are on this thread and are debating the audiophile quality of the UM Pro series then you are in the wrong place. The UM Pro series is much warmer than the W series because it was designed as a tool for live performance audio. Many like the warmer sound signature. Myself included as the UM Pro 50 are my favorite but audiophiles will not. That is what the W series is for and it produces a much flatter signature.

Agree! I also do prefer the UM Pro 50 to the W60! ◡̈

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,271 of 3,037
my westone3 are at least doubly warm as the umpro 50

Do you mean as more bass and less treble? That could make it "doubly" warm for sure :)

May 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,273 of 3,037
Used w60s for 2.5yrs before losing the left earpiece. Recently got a good deal on the um pro 50s and I'm using Ted Alen's copper cable 3.5 TRRS. Not sure what happened, but I'm beginning to believe in Twister6's theory of cable burn in. Man these iems are banging. I'm really chuffed, that unique revealing sound....I'm rediscovering my collection. Haven't listened to the w80s yet as patiently waiting for ES80 v w80 review and now with the prospect of a new um pro - choices, choices, can't wait.

May 1, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #2,274 of 3,037
Used w60s for 2.5yrs before losing the left earpiece. Recently got a good deal on the um pro 50s and I'm using Ted Alen's copper cable 3.5 TRRS. Not sure what happened, but I'm beginning to believe in Twister6's theory of cable burn in. Man these iems are banging. I'm really chuffed, that unique revealing sound....I'm rediscovering my collection. Haven't listened to the w80s yet as patiently waiting for ES80 v w80 review and now with the prospect of a new um pro - choices, choices, can't wait.

Since you went for a balanced 3.5mm (TRRS), just curious what is your source now to drive it?

With a cable burn in, I don't preach about it, but I do hear the change especially when you are setting your iems/cable aside to play for a few days without actually listening to it. It's more obvious to hear the changes that way, if any.

May 7, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,277 of 3,037
Got them back 2 days earlier than expected ! just 7 days from US to the middle of nowhere in australia, super imppresed that they travelled through Hawaii to get here makes sence.

Ive got to add that this set sound completely different to the set I sent back, Talking about that punchy af mid bass
I think i stated somewhere that there was more bass in the W3 I will now be eating my hat

I always thought there was something not right with umpro50 - veiled mids, non isolating and dull bass, My girlfriend always used to get salty at me because she could hear them at nigh..t so far she hasnt said anything bout this new set!

so i put it down to the case being cracked open and glued back but i didnt think it would matter because the sound is not mixed within the iem casing and all the sound is fed to a seperate chamber within the iem and straight to your brain, anyways 8 months later I am stoked at the umpro 50. loving that whack to the inside of my forehead, insrtument separation and detail with some recording you can even picture yourself in the drummers stool :)

May 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,278 of 3,037
Got them back 2 days earlier than expected ! just 7 days from US to the middle of nowhere in australia, super imppresed that they travelled through Hawaii to get here makes sence.

Ive got to add that this set sound completely different to the set I sent back, Talking about that punchy af mid bass
I think i stated somewhere that there was more bass in the W3 I will now be eating my hat

I always thought there was something not right with umpro50 - veiled mids, non isolating and dull bass, My girlfriend always used to get salty at me because she could hear them at nigh..t so far she hasnt said anything bout this new set!

so i put it down to the case being cracked open and glued back but i didnt think it would matter because the sound is not mixed within the iem casing and all the sound is fed to a seperate chamber within the iem and straight to your brain, anyways 8 months later I am stoked at the umpro 50. loving that whack to the inside of my forehead, insrtument separation and detail with some recording you can even picture yourself in the drummers stool :)

Yeah, that sounds like a symptom of a cracked shell, if people next to you can hear it. If it was like that from day one, then probably a defective shell, otherwise maybe it cracked on impact later. But either way, sounds like they took care of you. Just a general comment about any/every manufacturer, every thread on head-fi is filled with people talking about some issues with their iems, but what counts is how these companies handle the warranty claims and take case of their customers.

May 7, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,279 of 3,037
to right ! defective shell is a fair assumtion because I didnt have them long enough to cause any damage to them they just fell apart in my ear ..hats off to headfi and westone , this time even my wallet is thankfull! . yew

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,280 of 3,037
to right ! defective shell is a fair assumtion because I didnt have them long enough to cause any damage to them they just fell apart in my ear ..hats off to headfi and westone , this time even my wallet is thankfull! . yew

I don't believe that, cause we always say here "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet" :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back