Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,252 of 3,037
Seems like Westone is launching a new UM1..
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/westone-set-to-launch-new-product-the-um1-300443514.html
Naming sounds weird though.. Totally new product from ground up but utilizes an old name..

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,253 of 3,037
Seems like Westone is launching a new UM1..
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/westone-set-to-launch-new-product-the-um1-300443514.html
Naming sounds weird though.. Totally new product from ground up but utilizes an old name..

We are launching new UM. 

I knew the name would throw some people off but frankly speaking it was at the request of the Cartwright brothers who engineer all of our earphones. They have been asking to do a sub $100 earphone for a very long time and I approved the product development last year. 

They wanted to go back to the old UM1 naming because their goal was the same as the original UM1 and that is to get a great tool in the hands of as many musicians to help them make better music. 

The body of this is the same as the UM Pro 10 but everything else is different. Different Driver, different cable and different sound signature. It is a little warmer than the UM Pro 10. 

All in all, we are really excited to create a product more accessible to more people. 

I am the guy quoted in that press release...

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,255 of 3,037
  its a dynamic?

From the announcement:

"This state-of-the-art, universal-fit in-ear monitor uses a specially engineered proprietary single balanced armature driver that has been tuned to give listeners a fresh new sound while effortlessly reproducing today's music regardless of the genre. The new UM1 features a completely redesigned removable round cable that incorporates Westone's MMCX Audio™ connection, to ensure a secure and reliable connection every time. Also included with the UM1 will be the complete compliment of high-quality foam and silicone ear tips that come with all flagship Westone music products, and give users the ability to find the perfect fit."

For $99, this looks like the cheapest Westone single BA driver IEM.  Not bad considering the same design ergonomics, custom eartips, and removable cable with an updated mmcx connector.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #2,257 of 3,037
UM1 was my first 'good' IEM after playing aournd with Sleek Audio SA1s.
I loved the sound, there's a coherence in a single driver that is lacking in almost every multi-driver IEM I've
heard since.
in fact my old UM1s are out to PETERK to be reshelled / recabled, they're my go to exercise and walking IEMs
Looking forward to hearing this new version

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,258 of 3,037
UM1 was my first 'good' IEM after playing aournd with Sleek Audio SA1s.
I loved the sound, there's a coherence in a single driver that is lacking in almost every multi-driver IEM I've
heard since.
in fact my old UM1s are out to PETERK to be reshelled / recabled, they're my go to exercise and walking IEMs
Looking forward to hearing this new version

I assume the original UM1 didn't have a detachable cable?  Just curious, are you reshelling it to add detachable cable or just changing the cable?

Either way, would be cool if you can compare these.  And indeed, you can't beat the coherency of a single BA driver, but it also a challenge to cover the entire FR spectrum.  So, will be interesting to hear what Westone came up with.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,259 of 3,037
We are launching new UM. 

I knew the name would throw some people off but frankly speaking it was at the request of the Cartwright brothers who engineer all of our earphones. They have been asking to do a sub $100 earphone for a very long time and I approved the product development last year. 

They wanted to go back to the old UM1 naming because their goal was the same as the original UM1 and that is to get a great tool in the hands of as many musicians to help them make better music. 

The body of this is the same as the UM Pro 10 but everything else is different. Different Driver, different cable and different sound signature. It is a little warmer than the UM Pro 10. 

All in all, we are really excited to create a product more accessible to more people. 

I am the guy quoted in that press release...

Thanks for giving more insights to the new product!

With the new UM line, will the UM Pro series be discontinued? Is the sound signature of the new UM totally different from the UM Pro series?

Looking forward to your new release! Hopefully it does entails a new epic cable. The old cable that came with the UM Pro 50 is good ergonomically but i felt it's restraining the sound quite a fair bit. Just my thoughts..

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,260 of 3,037
I assume the original UM1 didn't have a detachable cable?  Just curious, are you reshelling it to add detachable cable or just changing the cable?

Either way, would be cool if you can compare these.  And indeed, you can't beat the coherency of a single BA driver, but it also a challenge to cover the entire FR spectrum.  So, will be interesting to hear what Westone came up with.

I sent them to Peterk because the non detachable cables were frayed, as I said they are my walking,
exercise IEMs.nI didn't want to just toss them so I was going to have them recalled.
There was an issue with the shell so we decided To use sure 215 type shells.
Wesrone replacement shells aren't available. I'm going to talk to Brandon aboutdetachable cables
Just to avoid having to do this all over again.
I'd love to do side by side compare and see how westone changed from the original UM1.
I'm not sure how the reshelling will change the sound I'm hoping it doesn't negatively affect the sound.

As for the frequency, I notice it most on the low end, I'm decidedly not a bass head
so I can live with the loss of the bottom most octave for the coherency.
I will definitely report back when I get my old ones back.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,261 of 3,037
Thanks for giving more insights to the new product!

With the new UM line, will the UM Pro series be discontinued? Is the sound signature of the new UM totally different from the UM Pro series?

Looking forward to your new release! Hopefully it does entails a new epic cable. The old cable that came with the UM Pro 50 is good ergonomically but i felt it's restraining the sound quite a fair bit. Just my thoughts..

Thanks for your input! 

The new UM single digit line (well product since there is just one) will not be replacing the UM Pro line. It is a value engineered product meant to introduce and make accessible Westone's highly engineered BA IEMs available to the masses. It was built with the idea in mind to make it the best sub $100 BA IEM on the market in every way. The driver is different from the UM Pro 10 and the sound signature is a little warmer as we realize this could be the first BA iem that someone will own and they likely came from artificially bassier dynamic drivers. 

It does have a new cable involved that is a round smooth jacket cable with our new MMCX Audio connector for a reliable connection. 

As for the current UM Pro series... We have BIG news in store for that. Everyone will just need to wait a bit for that announcement :wink:

All in all this is a big year for Westone. We have the biggest product launch schedule in Westone's history this year. So far to date you've learned about the UM1, the Elite ambient series with replaceable filters, and the ES80... More to come!

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,262 of 3,037
As for the current UM Pro series... We have BIG news in store for that. Everyone will just need to wait a bit for that announcement :wink:

A new tip that tones down the low end and gives life to the high end?

I cannot possibly express just how dissatisfied I am with the 30.

:frowning2:

I was under the impression that these were like studio monitors. My only real experience with a studio monitor was a Rokit RP6 G2. These sound NOTHING like those. The UM Pro 30 has less treble than anything I've ever heard. It's the epitome of a life sucking IEM.

I have some Beyer DT880's now and that's the sound signature I'll be looking for in an IEM...if possible.

Anyway, sorry this post came out so negative. I have an understanding of why it is the way it is and at the very least I know to be wary when someone says "warm or dark" sounding and minimal sound stage.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,263 of 3,037

As for the current UM Pro series... We have BIG news in store for that. Everyone will just need to wait a bit for that announcement
wink.gif

A new tip that tones down the low end and gives life to the high end?

I cannot possibly express just how dissatisfied I am with the 30.

:frowning2:

I was under the impression that these were like studio monitors. My only real experience with a studio monitor was a Rokit RP6 G2. These sound NOTHING like those. The UM Pro 30 has less treble than anything I've ever heard. It's the epitome of a life sucking IEM.

I have some Beyer DT880's now and that's the sound signature I'll be looking for in an IEM...if possible.

Anyway, sorry this post came out so negative. I have an understanding of why it is the way it is and at the very least I know to be wary when someone says "warm or dark" sounding and minimal sound stage.

Where did you get this impression from, regarding UM Pro 30 sounding like studio monitors?  UM Pro 30 are very consumer oriented with a rather well balanced warm signature and smooth clear details.  True, treble is a bit rolled off, and they are not intended to sound flat and revealing like a typical studio monitor.  I'm surprised anybody would even consider them to sound like studio monitors.  They sound fun and rather balanced tuned.  As a matter of fact my wife's brother, who can't stand any of my "fancy" flagships, borrowed my um pro 30 pair almost a year ago, and that's the last I've seen it lol!!!

Now, ES60, those would be great to use as studio monitors
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2,265 of 3,037
Where did you get this impression from, regarding UM Pro 30 sounding like studio monitors?  UM Pro 30 are very consumer oriented with a rather well balanced warm signature and smooth clear details.  True, treble is a bit rolled off, and they are not intended to sound flat and revealing like a typical studio monitor.  I'm surprised anybody would even consider them to sound like studio monitors.

I often hear "rolled off" highs to describe the UM Pro 30's. I would describe them as a headphone that emphasizes the low end, with a smooth mid range, and then the frequency response "drops off a cliff."

But we all have different ears. Personally, I have always avoided anything said to be "bright" and for whatever reason thought warm = preferred. I have often read the Beyer 880 to be described as hot in the treble or sibilant, harsh, etc. But for me, it's as if a giant sock has been removed from my ears and I can actually HEAR music. This also helps me to understand why a Sennheiser HD580 + Little Dot MK III bored me.

The Selena Gomez & Kygo It Ain't Me track @ 2:15 perfectly describes my issue with the UM Pro 30:

*slightly NWS*
https://youtu.be/h_pAXIF2yDY

When the "snap" comes in, the DT880 Chrome 250 Ohm + FiiO A5 out of my meager iPhone 6S Plus "EXCITES" me and whatever limb can be moved or mobile will go on a little dance.

With the UM Pro 30, it's as if the volume of the snap itself is lowered AND the actual snap takes place in a sound deadening box. That part of the track does nothing for me.

Another great example is Skyscaper by Demi Lovato. The UM Pro 30 again stuffs a sock in her mouth.

Finally, the warnings and cautions of "intimate" soundstage I sadly ignored thinking...Well, I like Grados and folks say they have a smaller soundstage. The UM Pro 30 has no stage. It's as if every instrument's being played inches from each other.

The level of detail and low end of this IEM as well as comfort truly impress me. I can absolutely see how this would be the a great IEM for a stage performer that needs to feel the beat, and hear a their vocals smoothly so as not to fatigue their ears.

I wanted so badly to like them, but it's time to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back