Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #241 of 3,037
"more" signal is baseless, the stock cable is fine

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #243 of 3,037
Well the UM PRO 30 is made for performing artists, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't hold up for performers. With that, I don't think there is any reason to upgrade unless you are keen on using IEM cable for tug-o-wars.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #244 of 3,037
The stock cable is outstanding.  Sound AND ergonomics.  (best in world ergonomically IMHO).

Out of my Ipod Classic I actually prefer the sound unamped versus amped from my Ibasso T3 analog.

The UMPro30 is an amazingly well-engineered IEM (as was UM3X).  Several of us here think it is a better sounding IEM than the W4.  Slight advantage to treble with W4 but Pro 30 kills the W4 with bass and overall cohesiveness.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #245 of 3,037
The cable on the UM Pro30 is great, much better than Shure cables. Much more comfortable and flexible.

Sound is great too.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #246 of 3,037
Hello all,

I am new on headfi, but i am a long time music loving, guitar playing, record collecting fan :)

The reason i am writing here is that i have just received my UM PRO 50. I live in shenzhen, china now, working Huawei tech. I am half an hour from hong kong so i get to reach the new products fast, especially than in the last 2 years i have built a good relation with strong suppliers in HK and china main land.

So yesterday i got a call saying that thinking group have go the first UM PRO 50 batch. I ordered it yesterday and received it just now. I will be taking photos of few unpacking steps, the. I am gonna connect it to my just received fiio X5 and listen here in the office. When i get back home, i will use AK120 and other DAC setups to compare it with other stuff. I will not compare it with tje UM PRO 30 cause i dont have it (i had the UM 3) so i will compare it with W4r the closest westone setup i have. But ill compare it with another made in usa musician monitor universal fit product that i like, ASG2. I will compare it with IE800 to check sennheiser claims that nothing beats a single dynamic driver. I will come back to u soon. Have a good day

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #248 of 3,037
this might of been mentioned but what the main difference between the UM30, and W40? Looking for a new on-the-go/gym IEM, since i sold my momentum and 1964 T CIEM a while back and been using my ipod headphone ever since then. thanks

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #249 of 3,037
The W series, including the W40 (4BAs) are made for music listening consumers so the sound signature is more general population. The targeted freq. are the ones that studio recordings usually boost to please listeners. The UM series are the original expertise of westone, they are made as true monitors for musicians, this means better live reproduction, better low frequencies to reduce crowd noise, and most importantly less fatigue by rolling out extended high freq. This makes the sound signature different than hi fi sounds general population likes, and the W series was issued to address the complains of general listeners who bought the UM series and critisized them as if the are aimed to general hi fi. Summary is W series is more enjoyable by most music lovers, clearer high freq, yet more fatiguing than UMs. UMs have in my opinion a bolder sound signature for people who like to be surprised by their music listening, listen for longer periods, and prefer certain guitar driven music. I enjoy the UM series for rock blues jazz stuff more than Ws

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #250 of 3,037
First impressions of the UM pro 50:

1- Build quality is not superb, not surprisingly good, still good enough. I like the plastic finishing of the w4r better, and if i remember well the UM3x was similar. However the frosted clear plastic do expose the rough edges of the finish. The box says that this is hand crafted in the US by the same people that craft the custom fit series, however i still feel the shells are not overwhelmingly perfected.
2- Fit is impressive, for a 5 BA, i was worried that they had to change the shell of their universal series to fit them all in. Shure had to make the SE846 bigger to fit 4BAs and the low pass filter, compared to the 3 BAs SE535, thus making it less comfortable. Not the UM pro 50. It is amazingly comfortable. I never thought anything beats the w4r but it does. I am not sure if my mind is playing games on me cause i had low expectations, but it feels more comfortable than w4r and the Aurisonics ASG which is famous for its best fit
3- the new cable/connector is pretty good. I liked the 2 pins epic and was worried about the new one, the good thing is the cable is still the same at least in the UM Pro series, i think the W series will have non-helix cable. The new connector is better than shure especial because the ear piece itself is smaller than shures and the memory part over the ear is better, which makes the rotating connector less confusing than shure.
4- i dont have any of my other iems in office today so i cant compare A/B but from memory i can quickly see that this is a UM signature, but with a surprisingly great upper frequency clarity. It feels like a clearer version of w4r but as tight or even tighter than UM 3x in mid bass. The 2 extra BAs really doing some magic. The extra high freq BA solves my problem with BA phones when compared to dynamic drivers like IE800. I finally can hear accurate details of hi hats and other high freq instruments. I used to prefer dynamic drivers for that reason(even lower cost dynamic drivers like re400 had more enjoyable highs than w4r) the 2 high freq BA work like magic togther. Nice engineering from westone (they learned this specific configuration from their ES5). The extra mid freq BA brings the vocals and guitar closer. But mostly serves nicely in reliefing the one low BA from having to produce complete bass spectrum. The mid bass integrates perfectly with the mids, so i think it is generated more from the 2 mid BAs (i can feel that by how real the snare drum sounds). The only low freq BA is doing what it used to do in the UM3x, which is more than enough. I dont want to rush my self but i feel that this setup is better than 6 BA supposedly coming in both w60 and ES60. Westone's low frequency BAs really do a great job as solo, everyone noticed that in the w3 and UM3x. So this 5 configuration DOES NOT leave me craving for more bass, and acoustically it is known that integrating low frequencies from 2 sources (2 BAs) is very tricky and does not mean more bass, and sometimes mean more cancelling (um3 has more bass effect than w4 with 2 low freq BAs)

More to come later

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #251 of 3,037
First impressions of the UM pro 50:

1- Build quality is not superb, not surprisingly good, still good enough. I like the plastic finishing of the w4r better, and if i remember well the UM3x was similar. However the frosted clear plastic do expose the rough edges of the finish. The box says that this is hand crafted in the US by the same people that craft the custom fit series, however i still feel the shells are not overwhelmingly perfected.
2- Fit is impressive, for a 5 BA, i was worried that they had to change the shell of their universal series to fit them all in. Shure had to make the SE846 bigger to fit 4BAs and the low pass filter, compared to the 3 BAs SE535, thus making it less comfortable. Not the UM pro 50. It is amazingly comfortable. I never thought anything beats the w4r but it does. I am not sure if my mind is playing games on me cause i had low expectations, but it feels more comfortable than w4r and the Aurisonics ASG which is famous for its best fit
3- the new cable/connector is pretty good. I liked the 2 pins epic and was worried about the new one, the good thing is the cable is still the same at least in the UM Pro series, i think the W series will have non-helix cable. The new connector is better than shure especial because the ear piece itself is smaller than shures and the memory part over the ear is better, which makes the rotating connector less confusing than shure.
4- i dont have any of my other iems in office today so i cant compare A/B but from memory i can quickly see that this is a UM signature, but with a surprisingly great upper frequency clarity. It feels like a clearer version of w4r but as tight or even tighter than UM 3x in mid bass. The 2 extra BAs really doing some magic. The extra high freq BA solves my problem with BA phones when compared to dynamic drivers like IE800. I finally can hear accurate details of hi hats and other high freq instruments. I used to prefer dynamic drivers for that reason(even lower cost dynamic drivers like re400 had more enjoyable highs than w4r) the 2 high freq BA work like magic togther. Nice engineering from westone (they learned this specific configuration from their ES5). The extra mid freq BA brings the vocals and guitar closer. But mostly serves nicely in reliefing the one low BA from having to produce complete bass spectrum. The mid bass integrates perfectly with the mids, so i think it is generated more from the 2 mid BAs (i can feel that by how real the snare drum sounds). The only low freq BA is doing what it used to do in the UM3x, which is more than enough. I dont want to rush my self but i feel that this setup is better than 6 BA supposedly coming in both w60 and ES60. Westone's low frequency BAs really do a great job as solo, everyone noticed that in the w3 and UM3x. So this 5 configuration DOES NOT leave me craving for more bass, and acoustically it is known that integrating low frequencies from 2 sources (2 BAs) is very tricky and does not mean more bass, and sometimes mean more cancelling (um3 has more bass effect than w4 with 2 low freq BAs)

More to come later

Nice impressions! Seems like Westone will be making a wave of comeback with UM50 and W60.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #252 of 3,037
Seems like the UM Pro50 will be to my liking if i get one, better high frequency than the UM Pro30, which was my only problem with the UM Pro30.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #254 of 3,037
brother majedelamine,

do you have any friend who has the ES5? or maybe yourself..

are you able to get an A/B between ES5 (or ES50) against the UM Pro50, and note the similiarities and difference please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back