Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #226 of 3,037
  in case anyone is interested :)

a reply from westone's rep

Thanks for your email.  The UM Pro 50 is the universal option for the ES50.  They will be the same 5 driver design, just a different configuration for a universal application.  The W50 is designed to reproduce frequencies of pre recorded music, not live sound like the ES50/UM Pro 50. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

interesting but cryptic. what do they mean by not designed to reproduce live sound? my experiences gong to concert is bad booming bass, sometimes harsh highs. are they saying the UM pro 50 takes all of that away?

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #227 of 3,037

interesting but cryptic. what do they mean by not designed to reproduce live sound? my experiences gong to concert is bad booming bass, sometimes harsh highs. are they saying the UM pro 50 takes all of that away?

"They will be the same 5 driver design, just a different configuration for a universal application."

i dont even know what that means actually.. haha

same 5 drivers but different tuning? hmm..

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #228 of 3,037

"They will be the same 5 driver design, just a different configuration for a universal application."

i dont even know what that means actually.. haha

same 5 drivers but different tuning? hmm..

Good point cos they said it's a universal ES50....but how can that be if it's different configuration.

The more I hear from Westone reps the less I trust them.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #230 of 3,037
Maybe they are referring to the physical "configuration," the form in which the elements reside. Not the tuning. The difference between the two should merely be that one is physically custom-shaped to one's ear and the other is not.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #231 of 3,037
The ES50 is the same as the ES5 but with MMXC connectors. The UM Pro50 is the same as the ES50 but in a universal shell.

That's that cleared up :) (from emails with Westone)

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #233 of 3,037
  The ES50 is the same as the ES5 but with MMXC connectors. The UM Pro50 is the same as the ES50 but in a universal shell.

That's that cleared up :) (from emails with Westone)

That is my general understanding of things.
Westone's replies to customers and the language they use just confuses their own customer base

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #234 of 3,037
Agreed but I DO respect the fact that they refuse to fluff up or talk "improvements" in the newer IEM's that aren't there.

We see this far too often in the consumer marketplace.  "New and improved" with no changes....or maybe the dispenser is better but product same.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #235 of 3,037
Just wanted to post here to thank everyone in this thread (and others) for all of the commentary.  A few years ago, I started trying to find the best earphone for me after fighting with junk for a long time.  I tried the SE530 simply on reputation alone and was underwhelmed.  I ultimately got the Klipsch S4 for cost/bang for the buck, despite being ready to shell out more money.  After my latest trip, arriving home with irritated ears and a less than pleasant sound I finally decided to change earphones again.  I started researching here and everywhere else.  I don't really have anywhere near me to audition them, so I used what I knew I didn't like about what I have to narrow down my choices and arrive at what was essentially a coin flip.  I very nearly bought a pair of SE215's but I was convinced there were better options.  As I drifted to the SE425, I began to see more posts about Westone.  I was particularly piqued by the comments about fit, and having the SE530, I remember them feeling too big for my ears.  I ultimately was down to Westone exclusively, again, just based on what I was reading, and specifically to the W3 and UM3X or, if the deal was right maybe even a W4r.  I couldn't find a good enough deal on the W4r and the more I read, the more I really started to like what I heard about the UM3X.  Yesterday, I finally took the plunge and bought the most recent version, the UM Pro 30 off Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon to be sure, for warranty purposes).

These are AMAZING.  Yes, they're flat, but in the most exquisite way.  I primarily listen to classical, mainly film scores, and they just sound astounding right out of the box.  My favorite demo track is from "E.T." - the farewell scene from the end of the movie and it just sparkles.  I also immediately tried "The Mouth of Sauron" from the LOTR: Return of the King complete recordings and again, it was just amazing.  I can see what people refer to when they say the soundstage is a bit narrow, but it works for me. I'm sure there are other earphones that sound better and/or cost more, but to my ears, these are perfect - and I haven't even really went through all of the tips yet to find the absolute best fit (using the small green foam one in one ear and black foam one in the other right now...just great so far.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting their comments about these things - if it weren't for this board and you folks, I probably would've ended up with another crappy pair from Best Buy or, heaven forbid, Bose.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #236 of 3,037
:-D Glad you're happy with the Westones. Now get out while you can, or Head-Fi will have your wallet in a vice grip...
Just wanted to post here to thank everyone in this thread (and others) for all of the commentary.  A few years ago, I started trying to find the best earphone for me after fighting with junk for a long time.  I tried the SE530 simply on reputation alone and was underwhelmed.  I ultimately got the Klipsch S4 for cost/bang for the buck, despite being ready to shell out more money.  After my latest trip, arriving home with irritated ears and a less than pleasant sound I finally decided to change earphones again.  I started researching here and everywhere else.  I don't really have anywhere near me to audition them, so I used what I knew I didn't like about what I have to narrow down my choices and arrive at what was essentially a coin flip.  I very nearly bought a pair of SE215's but I was convinced there were better options.  As I drifted to the SE425, I began to see more posts about Westone.  I was particularly piqued by the comments about fit, and having the SE530, I remember them feeling too big for my ears.  I ultimately was down to Westone exclusively, again, just based on what I was reading, and specifically to the W3 and UM3X or, if the deal was right maybe even a W4r.  I couldn't find a good enough deal on the W4r and the more I read, the more I really started to like what I heard about the UM3X.  Yesterday, I finally took the plunge and bought the most recent version, the UM Pro 30 off Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon to be sure, for warranty purposes).

These are AMAZING.  Yes, they're flat, but in the most exquisite way.  I primarily listen to classical, mainly film scores, and they just sound astounding right out of the box.  My favorite demo track is from "E.T." - the farewell scene from the end of the movie and it just sparkles.  I also immediately tried "The Mouth of Sauron" from the LOTR: Return of the King complete recordings and again, it was just amazing.  I can see what people refer to when they say the soundstage is a bit narrow, but it works for me. I'm sure there are other earphones that sound better and/or cost more, but to my ears, these are perfect - and I haven't even really went through all of the tips yet to find the absolute best fit (using the small green foam one in one ear and black foam one in the other right now...just great so far.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting their comments about these things - if it weren't for this board and you folks, I probably would've ended up with another crappy pair from Best Buy or, heaven forbid, Bose.

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #238 of 3,037
Seriously. I have everything I need and more, yet I still post here obsessively and lust after things I can't afford or justify...a sad state of affairs indeed.

Quote:

headfi is the ultimate test of will against wallet...if you can grow old on this forum and still have your wallet love you you have mastered the art of self control ><

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #239 of 3,037

Thanks for your impressions! Updated on the first post.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #240 of 3,037
Hey all what are the thoughts on the stock cables for the um pro 30s should I upgrade to the shure heavier gauge cables? My bass player seems to think that the heavier gauge can carry more signal?
Thoughts and ideas appreciated..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back