Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,727 of 3,037
I sold the JH-Roxanne 3 days ago and bought the UM Pro 50 today. (I dont want to spend much money on my portable)  I bought the Pro 50 blindly because good reviews around here. I do quite understand now why some of the owners of the Pro50 said that the Pro50 is overall better than the Roxanne. The claim may be true for a lot of people, because the Roxanne is such a strange kind of earphones.
Coming from um2,HD650,DX1000,jh13,jh16,LCD2 Rev1 you can see I'm a bit of Bass-head. IMHO I think Stock Pro 50 is a better earphones than the Roxanne in almost every genres, except Rock genre and its descendants  (esp  live Rock concert). To me the Roxanne blows the Pro50 away, the thick sound, the bass power and the speed of the Roxanne win me over. Dont get me wrong, the Pro50 is no slouch for rock music, it even offer more treble energy than the Roxanne, for some people, the bass of the pro 50 may sound better than that of the Roxanne, because the bass quantity is just so right, not less not more and it extends deep. But My ear just keep tell me, the Roxanne is the best IEM (and better than headphones,I've listened with so far) for Rock music ever.   I think a lot of people may disagree with my claim because we listen differently, but I totally recommend you guys to try the Roxanne if your favorite genre is rock. 

Come back to the Pro 50, today I've tried them with various genres from Vocal,Pop, EDM,Rock,folk, Jazz.  I've found the Pro50 perform so well in every genres. I enjoy every songs with the pro 50. I don't want to talk about the sound much, because there are many reviews of the UM Pro 50 already. I want to add one thing, to me the good reviews about the Pro50 around here are true and you wont be disappointed with the Pro50, if you are a Bass-head  and listen to various kind of Music like me.

p.s.1 IEMs, whose prices are around the price of the Pro50, which I would like to recommend is the Cypher Labs C6iem, this is a good all-rounder too.   
p.s.2  My player is HM901 balanced card.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,728 of 3,037
Okay...after all that, not sure which one you prefer.  But Pro50 treble better than Roxanne??  That is alarming to say the least.  Thanks for the warning on Roxanne.  Looks like W60 still reigns KING.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,729 of 3,037
My answer is yes I love the treble of the pro 50 more (a lot more ) than the Rox , and I havn't found it is dark like many people said. I think it depends on source and amp you use. Besides I myself love dark headphones. 
 I think JH did intend to design the Roxanne like this, because he either wanted the Roxanne to suit only some specific types of Music or it was just the marketing plan to release the Layla later (There's no way he didn't find the flaws of the Roxanne). Me myself, love dark headphones a lot, but I really didnt appreciate the Roxanne when I listened to something else besides Rock. Even the EDM sounds so so , when listening with the Roxanne (very good Bass, but not so sparkle high, this makes the sound  not enjoyable).

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #1,730 of 3,037
Can anybody advise any silver or hybrid aftermarket cable for the UM Pro 30 in the range of $150-200 (2.5 mm balanced termination)?
Currently I use the Litz (Cu). Sounds very very good but I believe that the silver type would be even better.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #1,731 of 3,037
  Can anybody advise any silver or hybrid aftermarket cable for the UM Pro 30 in the range of $150-200 (2.5 mm balanced termination)?
Currently I use the Litz (Cu). Sounds very very good but I believe that the silver type would be even better.

HeadphoneLounge

Ted Allen, the owner, is awesome and his cables are fantastic. Definitely ask him.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,734 of 3,037
Today i have a chance to listen to shure846 ,dita the truth ,w60 and Um pro 50 side by side. My brief impression is ะ้ำ ดนสสนไรืเ,
Shure 846= W60+Pro50 - bassbody of the pro50-sweetness of the Singer voice.
I totally agree with a comment from someone before that Shure 846 wow you a lot for first listening. Without bias I think Shure846 is in general a bettet uiem than W60 and Umpro 50.
SHURE earphones offers a better soundstage dept. Instruments seperation is a lot better than W60 and Umpro50. Acoustic and Jazz sound far better with the846. Shure 846 is a better W60 imho( there are some exceptions, some sources; some songs make the treble of the shure848cunbearable.). If you compare Shure846 with the Um pro 50, I can say that it's up to the genre you listen to the most. To me, Umpro 50 wins cleary in genres such as Vocal, Edm.The voice of female singer sounds a lot sweeter with Pro50.Considering Edm, the Bass is more prominent with pro 50 than the 846 and pro 50 provides enough treble energy to make edm sounds fine.The 846 win in genres such as acoustic,Jazz. There is not much different here between Shure 846 and great iem such as Fitear 335. SHURE 846 make me think of Lcdx when we talk about the soundstage depth.So there's no contest here. Acoutics sounds great with the 846 (I can say only some flagship such as layla, k10, fitear 335 can beat the 846 hear).I dont want to go in detail.
Back to the W60 ; compared to the Umpro50 At first you feel W60 is a lot better earphone, because its offers everything you want . A far better sound stage width dept than pro50.W60 has plenty of bass to make you feel the bass, offer a smooth but clear treble, make you feel relax with an airy treble without sibilance.But if you are a basshead like me and love vocal than anything you will find Umpro50 suit you better.I am a fanboy of the Umpro 50because of its big, Tight and fast bass . I listen to edm and rock a lot so I think i love pro50 more than W60.

CONCLUSION
If I have enough money I will spend on Shure846 and pay extra money for amp card and something to add bass body and tame the sibilance treble in some songa.
If I dont have much money I will surly stick with the Um pro50 because it suits me the best. And the last point is that I will avoid W60 because the Shure 846 is a better earphones than W60.

P.s. 1 My setup is the following;
Hm901 balanced card; balance amd HD setting
p.s 2 I dont have problem with the Umpro50 roll off treble because I use Oayaide 3.5 balanced jack+ twag eclipse v2.
P.s 3 I dont mention dita the truth and Fitear335 much because my interest is more for W60, pro50 andShure 846

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,735 of 3,037
QSK78 - Thanks for the review.

This website is all about opinions.  To flat out say SE846 is better than W60 is insane.  SE846 sounds like an earphone where W60 sounds like a headphone.  It's ability to portray space and soundstage is an engineering marvel Shure doesn"t even seem to be working on yet.
For the 5 minute audition, yes....I could see people enjoying the overly forward vibrant SE846.  But for listening for hours and hours.....the Westones offer a much less fatiguing smoother presentation.  Just a counter point.  If you like forward midrange but bass and treble set back...Shure is the way to go. Unfortunately, most people don't even know what they like until they have heard it.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,736 of 3,037
I think it is also dependents on the source you use. 

For example, with VALOQ my pro 30 sound wide and deep enough so I cannot say that they have a very compact sound stage mentioned in many reviews. 
I personally was choosing between 30 and 50.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,737 of 3,037
hahahah  yeah Spyro it's really subjective indeed. I put 846 and W60 in the same group because I think they are similar in many categories (my categories :p) and kind of different from the pro50. If someone goes into detail and compare them seriously , the review will be lot better than my opinion.  

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,738 of 3,037
I might as well describe my comparisons for the new users here:

Back when I owned both the W60 and UM50, I enjoyed the sound of the UM50. Thinking back I wish I kept the UM50 but it was for the better. The W60s feel very much like a headphone-type sound with their larger soundstage and overall openness. Meanwhile, the UM50 felt intimate and much closer. However, it made it up with its crazy realistic instruments and separation. I remember comparing them like this:
The W60s feel like you are sitting alone in a large concert hall, closing your eyes, letting the music surround you and the room around you. The sounds fill the room and let you fall into its tone.
Meanwhile, the UM50s place you at the center with the instruments and musicians. This time, the music forces you into its groove and here you feel the power of the instruments. No longer are they distant, you can hear their special characteristics.

But that's my experience anyways. Feel the UM50 was a much better IEM as the instruments felt so realistic. There was a special texture that I couldn't get with the W60. With a silver litz cable, the sound is absolutely fantastic. So I hope my Campfire Audio Jupiter IEMs will give me the same effect. The UM50 created a strange attachment that I have yet to hear from any other IEM or headphone. While soundstage might be small, the "musical thrust" that it provides is brilliant.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,739 of 3,037
Originally Posted by Gurashieruro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While soundstage might be small, the "musical thrust" that it provides is brilliant.

"Musical thrust", you say? I don't have a name for it, but I guess that's what keeps me engaged with the music and makes me want to listen longer. I can't see myself moving away from these anytime soon. It probably would take some good CIEMs to pull me away.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #1,740 of 3,037

"Musical thrust", you say? I don't have a name for it, but I guess that's what keeps me engaged with the music and makes me want to listen longer. I can't see myself moving away from these anytime soon. It probably would take some good CIEMs to pull me away.

Yup, yup. My coined term. The UM Pro 50 is one VERY addictive IEM.
In fact, I listened to many of my girlfriend's japanese covers with them. Top that off, it was an upgrade to my Monster Turbine Gold Pro. There were many emotional attachments through them, aside from their addictive sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back