westone madness (es2 vs. um2)
Aug 11, 2005 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
I have made a small comparison for another forum, but it is in Dutch so little of you would be able to understand
wink.gif

Since english isn't my native language I'm always searching for words to say what I mean, that's why I made the comparison in Dutch.

Basicly what I've noticed is that the UM2 sound a bit muffled compared to the ES2 which has a great allround sound, solid bas, great highs. The midsection is a bit emphasized but not disturbing. The clarity of the ES2 makes it a winner above the UM2 in my opinion.

More on this subject can be read (again Dutch!) here: http://mp3cdbrowser.sourceforge.net/es2.pdf

In which I made a comparison between the 2 westone IEM's using my home rig listening to some of my favorite CD's. I've listened to all CD's 3 times:
- UM2 only
- ES2 only
- UM+ES (swapping them back and forth)

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Thanks arielext, hopefully someone will be able to translate the full review as well.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Interesting. I saw so many reviews on UltimateEars and Sensaphonics, but not Westone Custom IEMs in this forum. This is definitely helpful if you can try to do it in English. By the way, your English is pretty good. I have no problem understanding you.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
Ok, I'll see what I can do
smily_headphones1.gif

Do any of you prefer a specific type of reviewing?
like long wear, short wear, switching back and forth?

Do as you want,the important is to compare them.

Aug 13, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
Ok, I'll see what I can do
smily_headphones1.gif

Do any of you prefer a specific type of reviewing?
like long wear, short wear, switching back and forth?

Yeah, we will be appreciate for anything you gave us. We just need some comparison. Thanks you in advance.

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 12
One piece of information to point out between the ES2 and the UM2 sound. The UM2 is a single sound bore that has both the high/mid and the low driver going through the same sound bore. The ES2 has seperate sound bores for each driver. This produces a more "bright" sound since the frequencies are not competing for the same space in the sound bore. Just thought I would pass that along.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 12
yes, i agree. the Es2's are slightly brighter, and a bit more "crystally" clear compared to the Um2. However, you can buy almost three um2 with a Es2, so if you are just an everyday listener, the Um2 would probably be the moer recommended one due to performance to price ratio. the Es2 is definitely amazing, but with an Amp and a higher quality music file, you can get the same out of the Um2 or maybe even more compared to the Es2

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 12
I have to disagree on one count - the UM2, no matter the amp, will never be anywhere near the level of the ES2. Admittedly I never tried the UM2 with separate custom sleeves, but in my 2+ years of owning both, the ES2 was consistently in a different league.

Every universal-fit IEM involves a sonic compromise of some sort. The ES2 doesn't.

P.S. Three year old thread!

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to disagree on one count - the UM2, no matter the amp, will never be anywhere near the level of the ES2. Admittedly I never tried the UM2 with separate custom sleeves, but in my 2+ years of owning both, the ES2 was consistently in a different league.

Every universal-fit IEM involves a sonic compromise of some sort. The ES2 doesn't.

P.S. Three year old thread!

well would have to disagree on that, after hearing the Es2 and the Um2 amped, i'm not so sure that the Es2 is THAT much better. i would only think that there is a small margin in between the two, and you can eve think about it this way, the triple fi 10 is the universal version of the UE10. and the Um2 is on par with the Triple fi 10 and even surpasses it on the mids and lows. and certainly, the Es2 is not a custom that surpasses the UE10 by that much. I honestly think, to me, a Fantastic amp, plus Um2 is a better buy as even that would save you 300 dollars.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Just got my ES2s an hour ago.  The first thing i noticed going immediately from the UM2s is that the high end is SO much clearer.  I was a bit worried about the recessed high end because i use the monitors on stage as well as personal listening but MY GOODNESS!!!!  The highs are incredible with the ES2.  The bass is punchy, precise, and FAST.  Just wow guys, just wow.  My ear is still getting used to the fit right now but the sound is so much better than their customs I'm gonna have a hard time ever going back to universals should my customs ever need repair.  Just my two cents folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back