Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #976 of 1,871
Where do you get the clear cables?

May 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #978 of 1,871
Are those the same clear cables that are used on the ES2 and were used on the UM2 back in the day? If so, they have a tendency to turn green with use as the copper oxidizes. Don't know if it affects anything sonically but it's pretty unsightly when it happens. I swapped out my clear ES2 cable for a black one for that reason.

May 26, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #979 of 1,871
Peoples you are gonna kill me with these post...i must have these ones
smily_headphones1.gif
)

but i must wait for the money....ouchhhhh

I wanna ask im listening only to progressive rock from 60s to 70s and new age progressive rock. Progressive rock has often not clearly sound but often to much muddy, details are often missing, it needs clearly shine IEMs, very detailed...so i want very detailed IEMs...with huge soundstage...so Es3X??And mostly prefer seperation....this is what i want in IEMs...

May 26, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #980 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I wanna ask im listening only to progressive rock from 60s to 70s and new age progressive rock. Progressive rock has often not clearly sound but often to much muddy, details are often missing, it needs clearly shine IEMs, very detailed...so i want very detailed IEMs...with huge soundstage...so Es3X??And mostly prefer seperation....this is what i want in IEMs...

When not listening to Classical music or some Jazz, these are some of the bands/ musicians I listen to quite often - King Crimson, Henry Cow, Van der Graaf Generator, Soft Machine, Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Early Genesis, late Talk Talk, late Japan, Radiohead, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill, Jon Hassell, David Sylvian, Steven Wilson.

I'm afraid Yes and ELP were never really my cup of tea - found them too bombastic and self-indulgent. I also practically stopped listening to Pink Floyd completely some 20 odd years ago as I began to find their music somewhat repetitive and depressing. Also, I've purchased the new re-mastered versions of quite a few of the older recordings - namely KC, Henry Cow, VdGG, Soft Machine, Caravan, Genesis, Talk Talk, Eno, Gabriel, & Sylvian. These recording sound absolutely great on my ES3X's

Here's some more pics of the ES3X taken in bright daylight - as you can see it's an even lighter shade of blue from the photos on earlier post, and these now pretty much reflect the actual look:

IMG_3170jj.jpg

IMG_3168ff.jpg

IMG_3168gg.jpg

IMG_3165ee.jpg

May 26, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #981 of 1,871
music 4321 - they realy look amazing! congratulations! I hope mine will be flawless on the first, I can't realy wait 3 monthes...I will go crazy.

from the pictures it realy seems that they ARE flawless, also the connector sits flush.

Can you give some impressions on the ES3X straight out of the iPod please?
and is it hard to insert and take them out [the ES3X]?

May 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #982 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
music 4321 - they realy look amazing! congratulations! I hope mine will be flawless on the first, I can't realy wait 3 monthes...I will go crazy.

from the pictures it realy seems that they ARE flawless, also the connector sits flush.

Thanks pila405 - yes, they do like nice, don't they?

I'm sure you'll be OK. Also, don't forget the 3 months included the 3 weeks of my first ear impressions to reach Westone from Europe shipped by standard registered Air Mail, which under normal circumstances should've taken 7-10 days, but mine took 21 days!

So, after the wrong fit of my second set it was suggested I get a new set of ear impressions for my current 3rd set.

Westone, in fact, for the most part were fairly swift in dealing with my new re-fit/builds.

Also, they were kind enough to include 5 pairs of soft grey silicone tips free of charge to use with my UM3X's as I can't use the Comply tips - these grey tips come stock with the W3 package but NOT with the UM3X's. On top of that, after multiple re-fits, another pleasant surprise included a free good-quality XL black Westone T-shirt. I know these things don't cost them much, but 'small' things like that say a lot, to me at least.

May 26, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #983 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks pila405 - yes, they do like nice, don't they?

I'm sure you'll be OK. Also, don't forget the 3 months included the 3 weeks of my first ear impressions to reach Westone from Europe shipped by standard registered Air Mail, which under normal circumstances should've taken 7-10 days, but mine took 21 days!

So, after the wrong fit of my second set it was suggested I get a new set of ear impressions for my current 3rd set.

Westone, in fact, for the most part were fairly swift in dealing with my new re-fit/builds.

Also, they were kind enough to include 5 pairs of soft grey silicone tips free of charge to use with my UM3X's as I can't use the Comply tips - these grey tips come stock with the W3 package but NOT with the UM3X's. On top of that, after multiple re-fits, another pleasant surprise included a free good-quality XL black Westone T-shirt. I know these things don't cost them much, but 'small' things like that say a lot, to me at least.

You are form Europe?and bought from USA??

May 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #984 of 1,871
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
)

I will try to listen to some ELO, Satriani, LTE and Dream Theater soon and let you know what I think.

Another question for the current owners. What is your time/comfort factor? Is there any period of time where you listen and they become uncomfortable?

May 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #986 of 1,871
I never had a good experience with the w3 (too artificial and sibilant never got a good fit) but I am extremely tempted by the es3x....how are they for classic and other forms of rock? Do they have any known issues or fault points besides potential fit issues?

May 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #987 of 1,871
Today I go and get my impressions. You guys, my money just keeps flowing out of my pocket!!

So now the color. I am thinking of the light blue as above. Very nice.

May 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #988 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not too long ago I stated I did NOT think my ES3X's & 160gb iPod Classic benefited from adding the P-51 Mustang + LOD. To these ears there was practically NO improvement whatsoever, so I sold the amp and LOD. So, I get fantastic sound just out of my iPod Classic --> ES3X's

Some people seem to share my views (of not needing an amp) while others DO report an amp does improve SQ. Having spent all that money (about $500 for both amp & LOD) I did some extensive A/B'ing (amp/ no amp) and came to MY own conclusions. BTW, my EQ is always off.

As for inserting the ES3X's, you'll get clear & concise instructions on the User's manual, so read it well and be patient at first - in my case it only took a few minutes, and at first it was a bit awkward getting used to it, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Quote:

You are form Europe?and bought from USA??

I got my ES3X's through someone I know in the US (long story), and NOT directly from Westone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When not listening to Classical music or some Jazz, these are some of the bands/ musicians I listen to quite often -

Forgot to mention one of my all-time favourite bands - The Beatles. Some people regard Sgt Pepper's as the first 'prog' album ever. Not sure I'd agree but there you have it. It certainly was a truly progressive album (in the original sense of the word) for it's time.

May 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #989 of 1,871
I love Sgt Pepper's. I wish they had better recorded it but still it is great music and fun.

So an amp does not improve? Well I guess I will find out as I do have an iRiver H140 with a special cap output that I installed to bypass the so-so stock blocking caps.

May 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #990 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I go and get my impressions. You guys, my money just keeps flowing out of my pocket!!

So now the color. I am thinking of the light blue as above. Very nice.

Hey jamato8, I think you won't be disappointed and you'll soon find out what all the fuss is about re: the ES3X. BTW, the official name is 'Ice Blue'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back