Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 8, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #841 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon that Westone customer service is top notch, especially Kyle who have been answering my email within hrs.But is this just me to be that unlucky?
Will I be entitled to remold my left IEM again? I've already went through 2 different audiologist, which I believe it got nothing to do with the ear impressions.
Wasting my $ to do another impression again.. If i'm entitled to a re-molding from Westone..
frown.gif

It's not just you, a few people have had problems, myself included. My right IEM had the issue with the plug sticking out and that same monitor didn't fit right. Here's to hoping I don't have balance issues when I get them back.

May 8, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #842 of 1,871
Forget to add in.. the left side sits in flushed with my ears, but the right side pops out quite a bit..
Since the seal for my right ear is perfect, I guess I will just live with it.. just in case they screw it up AGAIN...

May 8, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #843 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not just you, a few people have had problems, myself included. My right IEM had the issue with the plug sticking out and that same monitor didn't fit right. Here's to hoping I don't have balance issues when I get them back.

Do you have the clamp marks on the cable connectors? I got it on both sides..

May 8, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #844 of 1,871
Quote:

Forget to add in.. the left side sits in flushed with my ears, but the right side pops out quite a bit..
Since the seal for my right ear is perfect, I guess I will just live with it.. just in case they screw it up AGAIN...

I really dont believe that fit is the problem of westone manufacturing, more the source of your ear impressions. Who did your impressions?

May 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #845 of 1,871
This can happen sometimes in custom-molded earphones, and it's not unique to Westone but is basically a part of the game. Some people get a good fit on the first try, and some don't. I would say keep at it, try a different audiologist or perhaps a different way of making impressions (i.e. mouth open, mouth closed, etc). Plier marks on cables are not a big deal and on the ES2 I also had plugs with contacts that were slightly exposed. It never became an issue.

Custom IEMs are a hassle but one that's ultimately worth the reward.

May 8, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #846 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This can happen sometimes in custom-molded earphones, and it's not unique to Westone but is basically a part of the game. Some people get a good fit on the first try, and some don't. I would say keep at it, try a different audiologist or perhaps a different way of making impressions (i.e. mouth open, mouth closed, etc). Plier marks on cables are not a big deal and on the ES2 I also had plugs with contacts that were slightly exposed. It never became an issue.

Wow. I started talking while the "play-doh" was still in my ears. Will that cause an improper fit or a bad/unsnug fit?

May 8, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #847 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I started talking while the "play-doh" was still in my ears. Will that cause an improper fit or a bad/unsnug fit?

It's possible. Moving the jaw or even clenching the jaw muscles without really moving it will change the shape of your ear canals, though I don't know how big of a change or how significant it is.

If you have a good fit you will know right away. There should be a sensation of a jigsaw puzzle piece snapping into place, and the IEMs feel like they basically disappear in your ears. There should be an equal amount of bass in each ear and the image should basically be centered, provided that it is centered on the recording in the first place. Also, treble irregularities like excessive sibilance or big peaks in the upper mid and treble region are also symptoms of an improper seal. Lastly, you should be able to walk around and generally move about without the seal breaking, which should also include moving your jaw normally. Excessive jaw movements of course will break the seal, but a custom IEM is made for performers on stage, and not every musician just sits there and plays the instrument - so the fit has to be secure.

May 8, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #848 of 1,871
Quote:

.........But is this just me to be that unlucky?
Will I be entitled to remold my left IEM again? I've already went through 2 different audiologist, which I believe it got nothing to do with the ear impressions.
Wasting my $ to do another impression again.. If i'm entitled to a re-molding from Westone..
frown.gif

I've so far sent my ES3X twice, and now waiting for my 3rd set. Here's the issues I've had on first two sets:

1- Channel imbalance on first set
2- Wrong fit of left monitor on both sets
3- Big matte residue mark on outside finish of right monitor on first set
4- 'Micro bubbles' on both shells on second set
5- On second set, exactly where right soft tip joins with hard acrylic shell there was a 6mm-long mark that looked as if both parts had not been soldered/joined properly, not smoothed out like left shell, or both shells on first set
6- Thin yellow metal 'sheet' not present on left shell on second set.
7- On first set USPS were given shipping address with slight discrepancies which caused a two-working-day delivery delay (4 natural days as there was a weekend in between)

Points 4, 5 & 7 had not mentioned here before, and point 6 was only mentioned yesterday.

I had to have a second set of ear impressions for my soon-to-be-received 3rd set. First time I sent ES3X back I was told no new impressions were needed, but second time it was suggested chances of a perfect fit on left monitor would increase from 70-75% to 95% with new impressions, so of course I had new ones made.

May 8, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #849 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by davtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dont believe that fit is the problem of westone manufacturing, more the source of your ear impressions. Who did your impressions?

I went through 2 different audiology clinic to get my impressions done.

Quote:

.... try a different audiologist or perhaps a different way of making impressions (i.e. mouth open, mouth closed, etc). Plier marks on cables are not a big deal and on the ES2 I also had plugs with contacts that were slightly exposed. It never became an issue.

The impressions are done based on open mouth with bite block.
I agreed that the pliers mark do not affect the sound quality, but its about the workmanship and the pride they take in their work.

May 8, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #850 of 1,871
Quote:

It's possible. Moving the jaw or even clenching the jaw muscles without really moving it will change the shape of your ear canals, though I don't know how big of a change or how significant it is.

If you have a good fit you will know right away. There should be a sensation of a jigsaw puzzle piece snapping into place, and the IEMs feel like they basically disappear in your ears. There should be an equal amount of bass in each ear and the image should basically be centered, provided that it is centered on the recording in the first place. Also, treble irregularities like excessive sibilance or big peaks in the upper mid and treble region are also symptoms of an improper seal. Lastly, you should be able to walk around and generally move about without the seal breaking, which should also include moving your jaw normally. Excessive jaw movements of course will break the seal, but a custom IEM is made for performers on stage, and not every musician just sits there and plays the instrument - so the fit has to be secure.

This makes me worry.
Becoz on some recordings i do hear sibilance. Although not a major one.
Is this a sign of a bad seal?
or is the source just plain bad?
i am only using files i bought from iTunes. Not too sure whats the bitrate and all.
confused_face(1).gif

Help me? anyone?

May 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #851 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me worry.
Becoz on some recordings i do hear sibilance. Although not a major one.
Is this a sign of a bad seal?
or is the source just plain bad?
i am only using files i bought from iTunes. Not too sure whats the bitrate and all.
confused_face(1).gif

Help me? anyone?

For Bit Rate info: Open iTunes -> right-click on any song -> click on Get Info and there you have all the details such as Size, Sample Rate, Format, and so on.

As for sibilance, I think that can be rather subjective and no-one, I think, so far has reported sibilance with the ES3X's. A few pages back we were even discussing if the ES3X had enough highs, ie if they were even slightly recessed, and the general consensus, I believe, was that they weren't. I personally found the highs absolutely brilliant when I had a good seal. So, my guess is that in your case it may be either: a subjective perception, source, recording, improper seal, or a combination of any of these.

May 8, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #852 of 1,871
thx music for the reply.
Ive tested my seal...again and again..
and i feel that i am having a good seal.
Any other way that I can test whether I am having a good seal or not?
I did the sensaphones test and it turned out great...
so now i wonder....
hmmm...
maybe i m hearing things?

May 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #853 of 1,871
Well, seal doesn't seem to be a problem then - great! No re-fitting necessary.

Perhaps you can try another source using the same music? I still feel sibilance may be, to an extent, a subjective matter. What other IEM's have you tried apart from the ES3X? Those may have had recessed/ rolled-off highs - though not necessarily to your ears - and now, with your ES3X's, you may be hearing 'clearer' highs that may seem sibilant to you?

May 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #854 of 1,871
the other IEM that i have besides ES3X is the W3...
which is known for its sibilance problem.

Maybe bcoz i m to accustomed to the W3's sound...that i think of all the highs as sibilance...
i think u may be correct of the 'clearer' highs... =)
thx again for the help mr music...
now i can enjoy my ES3X again without worrying... :d

May 8, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #855 of 1,871
I asked Westone [Ear Plug Super Store to be more exact] to check twice for all the problems you named to make sure there is none
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back