Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #541 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is adjustable, it changes as you move the dial.

Aye, just checked the one that came with my W3 before (was being lazy before, thinking someone might reply quick
tongue.gif
). Does it have a reputation of being of decent quality?

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #543 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer it over the Shure one, but could be placebo effect since the difference is marginal. But it definitely looks better than the Shure one.

Shure attenuator is slightly larger than Westone..
I don't notice any sound difference between the 2, both using analogue variable resistor, which at times requires a little oiling.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #544 of 1,871
Hi all,

I just returned from being out of country with virtually zero access to the Internet. Having a small portable audio system with me (PowerBook, Pico, ES3X and an external 320GB HD packed full of .aiff and .flac music) provided considerable comfort and musical enjoyment.

Congrats to everyone who recently received their new ES3X!

The ES3X continue to enlighten and delight with various types of music including pop, jazz, choral, and what I listen to the most, classical. Orchestral pieces are a revelation with excellent individuation of instrumentation. The singularity with which sounds emanate from a point in space--e.g. triangles, bells and cymbals--continues to amaze me. This is not always the case with the soundstage in my "big rig." All the sounds are there, but sometimes the sound is smeared across an area, rather than being pin point, or precise. This is an area where IEM's--and headphones in general--are so much more revealing, providing a much better picture of the recorded venue. (Room acoustics, power, isolation, and internal vibration play a big part of the ability of an audio system to "image" properly.)

The nit I have to pick with the ES3X, however, is in the high’s. Sometimes details are not as “sparkly” as I’m accustomed to. “Accustomed” is the key word, because I’m not sure that it’s entirely unnatural either. And I can't help but wonder if it might have something to do with compression engineers use to "level" the overall dynamic range of the recording. (Makes it easier to play on those boom boxes and in the car
regular_smile .gif
.)

The ES3X are very high resolution reproducers with incredible detail. I think these are extremely fast, from start to stop. They don’t stumble on the leading edge of an instrument, nor do they overhang (ring) when a note stops, if you get what I mean. They seem to be really fast from start to finish, which makes them sound infinitely musical.

Vocals, both male and female are some of the best I haver ever heard, regardless of the price of the transducer, loudspeaker, headphone or IEM.

Instrumental timbrel details and the acoustic space (or “air”) abound with the ES3X which tells me the midrange and mid-bass are complete and intact.

By the way, my more naturally recorded music (e.g. Sheffield Labs, Dorian, Reference Recordings, Chesky Records, Mapleshade, JVC XRCD, etc.) do not exhibit this as much as studio media. (Ok, some of these are studio recordings too, but many are “live” studio creations.) In fact, it’s almost the opposite. These seem more punchy, dynamic and naturally expressive, sometimes explosive with HF content. The HF in these recordings sound "right."

Overall, I have to say that I’m hearing a more analogue-like presentation than I’ve heard since removing my old Thorens TD-125 MkII from my music rig (a very sad day indeed
frown.gif
).

I like the ES3X. To me they are ever so slightly euphoric, warm and ever so detailed. They excel at communicating music, and the intentions of the musicians. In fact, they are every bit as detailed and revealing as my friends $20K Revel Salons, powered by his Lamm Reference mono-blocks. You don’t get to feel the 20Hz (or lower) whump-the-chest factor, or that shared moment with a friend (how many people can really share that "sweet spot" on the couch), but for the money, I'd have to say the ES3X is a marvelous musical instrument, and an audiophile bargain!

What do y’all think? Am I hearing things? Anyone else care to comment, or have any other observations on this area?

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #545 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I just returned from being out of country with virtually zero access to the Internet. Having a small portable audio system with me (PowerBook, Pico, ES3X and an external 320GB HD packed full of .aiff and .flac music) provided considerable comfort and musical enjoyment.

Congrats to everyone who recently received their new ES3X!

The ES3X continue to enlighten and delight with various types of music including pop, jazz, choral, and what I listen to the most, classical. Orchestral pieces are a revelation with excellent individuation of instrumentation. The singularity with which sounds emanate from a point in space--e.g. triangles, bells and cymbals--continues to amaze me. This is not always the case with the soundstage in my "big rig." All the sounds are there, but sometimes the sound is smeared across an area, rather than being pin point, or precise. This is an area where IEM's--and headphones in general--are so much more revealing, providing a much better picture of the recorded venue. (Room acoustics, power, isolation, and internal vibration play a big part of the ability of an audio system to "image" properly.)

The nit I have to pick with the ES3X, however, is in the high’s. Sometimes details are not as “sparkly” as I’m accustomed to. “Accustomed” is the key word, because I’m not sure that it’s entirely unnatural either. And I can't help but wonder if it might have something to do with compression engineers use to "level" the overall dynamic range of the recording. (Makes it easier to play on those boom boxes and in the car
regular_smile .gif
.)

The ES3X are very high resolution reproducers with incredible detail. I think these are extremely fast, from start to stop. They don’t stumble on the leading edge of an instrument, nor do they overhang (ring) when a note stops, if you get what I mean. They seem to be really fast from start to finish, which makes them sound infinitely musical.

Vocals, both male and female are some of the best I haver ever heard, regardless of the price of the transducer, loudspeaker, headphone or IEM.

Instrumental timbrel details and the acoustic space (or “air”) abound with the ES3X which tells me the midrange and mid-bass are complete and intact.

By the way, my more naturally recorded music (e.g. Sheffield Labs, Dorian, Reference Recordings, Chesky Records, Mapleshade, JVC XRCD, etc.) do not exhibit this as much as studio media. (Ok, some of these are studio recordings too, but many are “live” studio creations.) In fact, it’s almost the opposite. These seem more punchy, dynamic and naturally expressive, sometimes explosive with HF content. The HF in these recordings sound "right."

Overall, I have to say that I’m hearing a more analogue-like presentation than I’ve heard since removing my old Thorens TD-125 MkII from my music rig (a very sad day indeed
frown.gif
).

I like the ES3X. To me they are ever so slightly euphoric, warm and ever so detailed. They excel at communicating music, and the intentions of the musicians. In fact, they are every bit as detailed and revealing as my friends $20K Revel Salons, powered by his Lamm Reference mono-blocks. You don’t get to feel the 20Hz (or lower) whump-the-chest factor, or that shared moment with a friend (how many people can really share that "sweet spot" on the couch), but for the money, I'd have to say the ES3X is a marvelous musical instrument, and an audiophile bargain!

What do y’all think? Am I hearing things? Anyone else care to comment, or have any other observations on this area?

I think the bolded statement above says it all. I still find my ES3X to be flawless, but they reveal any flaws of the recording.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #546 of 1,871
What you describe is exactly what I am hearing. My ears never feel like they need a break. Not after 8 hours, not after 12. I can go all day and just work, or relax, or work out or whatever. These just never make me tired. Warm, organic, slightly euphonic (though I chalk that up to being natural and organic) are the right words. I do hear what you are hearing in the highs, but I don't know if there is a necessarily a lack of sparkle, but rather a lack of prominent sparkle. As you say, they are incredible revealing, very detailed. The highs are there, the cymbals, the triangles, you hear the sounds fly up ever so high, but what isn't happening is that the highs overtake the recording, that the mids on up are overshadowing the bass, that the bass is overblown and masking the mids and highs. Everything just sounds balanced...organic. When I note that I might miss a very large soundstage or perhaps air around the notes etc, these things are quickly forgotten given what I do get out of these incredible tiny drivers. Comfort, portability, about the best value for the dollar that I know of (though maybe the UM3X's will over take these since they cost less and likely sound nearly as good). Anyhow, I don't sit here wishing for anything more. This is important.

I can't tell you how often I have "wanted" more when listening to various pieces of gear. This does happen often when I listen to digital tracks and/or solid state amplification. This happens when I listen to my really really really really (did I say really?) meager speakers. But listening to the ES3X's I'm not wanting for another experience. I'm just caught in a moment and I'm enjoying hour after hour.

If I could change one thing I would change their sensitivity. These things are so darn sensitive that most amps can barely budge from 0 and I'm nearly deaf. If it wasn't for digital control via my players, I would have a hard time using them with an amp. As it is, when I use an iPod, I have to put the Volume limiting feature on and I have it at but a hair of volume. Then, when I am listening to a track I have barely a bar showing. Plenty of volume at that level for these ears.

How is the Pico? Can you use the volume at all even with low gain? I'm thinking like...can you hit 7 or 8 o'clock? (assuming it starts at 6)

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #547 of 1,871
can u do a comparision with n without the pico?

coz i am using it ampless and considering to get pico to match it..

Ipod HP out gives a hiss at the start of every song..they are really too sensitive...

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #548 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the bolded statement above says it all. I still find my ES3X to be flawless, but they reveal any flaws of the recording.

Yup, I suspected the same thing (re the compression thingy). Too bad, because these want to be set free
regular_smile .gif
I keep searching for the best recordings.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #549 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you describe is exactly what I am hearing. My ears never feel like they need a break. Not after 8 hours, not after 12. I can go all day and just work, or relax, or work out or whatever. These just never make me tired. Warm, organic, slightly euphonic (though I chalk that up to being natural and organic) are the right words. I do hear what you are hearing in the highs, but I don't know if there is a necessarily a lack of sparkle, but rather a lack of prominent sparkle. As you say, they are incredible revealing, very detailed. The highs are there, the cymbals, the triangles, you hear the sounds fly up ever so high, but what isn't happening is that the highs overtake the recording, that the mids on up are overshadowing the bass, that the bass is overblown and masking the mids and highs. Everything just sounds balanced...organic. When I note that I might miss a very large soundstage or perhaps air around the notes etc, these things are quickly forgotten given what I do get out of these incredible tiny drivers. Comfort, portability, about the best value for the dollar that I know of (though maybe the UM3X's will over take these since they cost less and likely sound nearly as good). Anyhow, I don't sit here wishing for anything more. This is important.

I can't tell you how often I have "wanted" more when listening to various pieces of gear. This does happen often when I listen to digital tracks and/or solid state amplification. This happens when I listen to my really really really really (did I say really?) meager speakers. But listening to the ES3X's I'm not wanting for another experience. I'm just caught in a moment and I'm enjoying hour after hour.

If I could change one thing I would change their sensitivity. These things are so darn sensitive that most amps can barely budge from 0 and I'm nearly deaf. If it wasn't for digital control via my players, I would have a hard time using them with an amp. As it is, when I use an iPod, I have to put the Volume limiting feature on and I have it at but a hair of volume. Then, when I am listening to a track I have barely a bar showing. Plenty of volume at that level for these ears.

How is the Pico? Can you use the volume at all even with low gain? I'm thinking like...can you hit 7 or 8 o'clock? (assuming it starts at 6)

On the Pico, after the on-click (at the bottom), the lowest setting is already close to 8:00. Even at the lowest volume, and using the lo switch setting, I can hear bleed through. Thankfully, the volume control is pretty decent and the balance is good.

Depending on how hot the recording is (listening to Diana Krall, The Look of Love--pretty hot), I usually listen slightly above 9:00. On Rebecca Pidgeon, The Raven, the volume is closer to 10:00. Choral music is very similar; same with classical.

But dang these are sensitive! I don't recall who warned me about the sensitivity, but I've taken their sage advice and kept the volume low to start, and edge them carefully up.

I love the soundstage of the ES3X. They are amazingly open and spacious!

It's really hard to write about the ES3X. It's too easy to just listen, enjoy and relax. A wonderful elixir after hours at a computer terminal with email and conference calls.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #550 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can u do a comparision with n without the pico?

coz i am using it ampless and considering to get pico to match it..

Ipod HP out gives a hiss at the start of every song..they are really too sensitive...

Actually, I think that Larry (HeadphoneAddict) has already described his experience with his iPhone and it's a good match. I did a quick test at the audiologist when the ES3X first arrived, and I concur. These are plenty sensitive so they do a good job--mostly--with whatever they are connected to. However, the DAC on the Pico is just too good to forgo. The amp ain't bad either
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #551 of 1,871
Using something like the Pico is important I think with the ES3X's for the noise floor alone. I'm seriously thinking of picking one up because no matter the DAP I've used, I hear hiss.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #552 of 1,871
Portable amps with excellent very low volume balance and volume control for the very sensitive ES3X include ALO Amphora, RSA Mustang and Predator, iBasso D10, Headroom Micro Amp. The Pico volume control is useable but not quite as precise as the above amps. The XM5 and 3MOVE have volume control almost as good as the Pico. Desktop amps with good volume control with the very sensitive IEM include my Meier Headfive, and my Woo WA6. All the amps I mentioned are quiet with the ES3X except the Amphora that has a bit more hiss, about at the level of my Macbook Pro headphone out, which requires me to use a volume attenuator for the hiss but not for channel balance.

The only portable DAP I have used for any amount of time with the ES3X is my iPhone 3G and 5.5G iPod video - the iPhone was much better but the 5.5G iPod wasn't too bad, although with a little hiss that the iPhone doesn't have.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #553 of 1,871
Quote:

Using something like the Pico is important I think with the ES3X's for the noise floor alone. I'm seriously thinking of picking one up because no matter the DAP I've used, I hear hiss.

That's the ES3X's super high sensitivity for ya. Will the pico really help reduce the hiss?

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #554 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the ES3X's super high sensitivity for ya. Will the pico really help reduce the hiss?

Yup, it does an awesome job of nearly eliminating the hiss. I can't even use my ES3X with my Grace m902 as I can hear a noticeable amount of hissing.

-Ed

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #555 of 1,871
Quote:

It'll be even better when you use the Pico with a USB connection to a computer.
wink.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back