Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #528 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Labbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just collected my Candy Blue ES3X, and face the same problem as you.
My left side sounds slightly softer compared to the right, not a significant difference but its noticeable, and I thought it might be the impression problem!
I guess I will be going back to the authorized dealer to get it send back to Westone.

Mine are being shipped out tomorrow, according to Westone. I picked translucent orange, btw.

I hope my pair won't have this recent imbalance issue. It should actually be pretty easy for Westone to accurately measure the volume of both monitors before releasing them to the costumer...

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #529 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine for around $1242 CAD total on March 5th (i think i lost the receipt
confused_face_2.gif
).

Ear impressions: free (provided that they goto westone which they did)
ES3X's: $1092
Shipping+duties+tax: $150ish

The hearing clinic I went to:

Hear For Life
1573 Danforth Ave.
Toronto , ON
M4J 1N8
CA

Phone: (416) 466-9866

hey, that's a lot better! thanks a lot, mang.

how do you find the IEMs?

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #530 of 1,871
For those who own the Westone ES3X...

How do they sound run directly out of your DAP/ MP3 Player (no amp)?

Larry had mentioned that his sound great out of his iPhone...but I am curious how other people feel running without an amp

Thanks

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #531 of 1,871
Anyone know how much Variphone are formally charging for these now (in Europe)? I havn't been able to get a reply from them the last few days (was advised to contact them on or after 6th April as that would be when they knew)....

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #532 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am already using T1 for a couple of months. I do not know how the T2 sound as this is my first customise IEM.

The T1 offered a natural sound but some people might feel that the vocal more enhanced as it's meant more for stage but I don't really find that.

Of course, it's up to individual listening preference. I read that the ES3X mid is very smooth & good for vocal. And it's sound is much closer to Shure which is warm but I doubt it's that warm as what I had read here. My friend first impression is it's just sound great & natural. Not much of the high & low as compared to the W3 which he own ( he is using the long tip ). And surprisingly, his Sony player can amplified the sound much louder as compared to when he was using the W3 ( maybe the ES3X sensitivity is much higher ).

I am yet to decide on ES5X. I will asked him again this Friday when we meet.

Or maybe if if there is a new ACS T1X which I will definitely wait & go ahead
wink_face.gif

As for my Ti which is of silicon material. There is pro & con. Comfortability & seal is good but as I used my one sparingly, it's wording going to be fade off & I will never choose a white colour for my next purchase as it's dirty and oxide easily. My ACS T1 tip is much longer than his ES3X which my friend feel it's a bit short. I am not sure can we asked ES3X to increase the tip length ?

I am still waiting for a comparison between ACS T1 & ES3X but after reading from page 1 till here, I think I can roughly guess how does ES3X sound.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm using Sony A826 player, with W3 I'm at vol 25, with ES3X I'm at vol 20, max vol at 30. ES3X sounds louder then W3. I'm using attenuator with both IEMs and my songs are normalized to a lower vol.

My initiate review on the ES3X, listened to about 10hrs for now. Previously I've owned Shure SE530 and currently still have the W3 with me. I can't really remember how the SE530 sounds like exactly, only remembering it as warm with great mids. SE530 gives me the goose bump with I first hear it, but not the W3.

ES3X is very smoothing in the mids, something which is lacking in W3. However the bass is not as overwhelming as W3, which I personally find W3 more colored in the bass and treble region. Sound stage is also wider with the ES3X. Cable looks similar to W3, but feels more flexible.
Till now then I understand what does it means by neutral and natural..
I'm having issues with the imbalance sound vol ,and this is my first customized, so my views might defer...
Will continue with a more detail review vs the W3..
Later...

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #533 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how much Variphone are formally charging for these now (in Europe)? I havn't been able to get a reply from them the last few days (was advised to contact them on or after 6th April as that would be when they knew)....

I'm also interested from a UK perspective. (sorry if someone already posted this). Where did people go to get fitted and how much etc.

I have molds I got last summer for LiveWires but then found this thread and started saving! I got them done at Boots Chemists in Cambridge (downstairs).

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

James

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #534 of 1,871
Quote:

I'm using Sony A826 player, with W3 I'm at vol 25, with ES3X I'm at vol 20, max vol at 30. ES3X sounds louder then W3. I'm using attenuator with both IEMs and my songs are normalized to a lower vol.

Volume setting 25 for W3? I have the A828 and I'm only using volume 3 or 4 , I wonder why that is

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #535 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume setting 25 for W3? I have the A828 and I'm only using volume 3 or 4 , I wonder why that is

He's using an attenuator/resistor adaptor though, meaning he'll need to increase the volume of his DAP more. I use an 120 Ohm resistor adaptor with my A829 and I have to set the volume at between 18-23, depending on the IEM I'm using and/or loudness of the music/recording I'm listening to. I have to say, however, without an attenuator involved, a volume of 3 or 4 seems low! I can recall needing my A829 at least 12 without a resistor adaptor in play.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #536 of 1,871
sounds like with the UM3X, ES3X users can have an alternative when we hit the road..

i use my ES3X on the move thou, just a little worried at times, especially when the train is loaded..

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #537 of 1,871
It must be a strange one with custom iems; they're expensive but no one else can use em so why would they rob em, even they knew/appreciated their worth? Suppose you could rehouse the drivers...

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #538 of 1,871
Quote:

He's using an attenuator/resistor adaptor though, meaning he'll need to increase the volume of his DAP more. I use an 120 Ohm resistor adaptor with my A829 and I have to set the volume at between 18-23, depending on the IEM I'm using and/or loudness of the music/recording I'm listening to. I have to say, however, without an attenuator involved, a volume of 3 or 4 seems low! I can recall needing my A829 at least 12 without a resistor adaptor in play.

I'm using Westone attenuator that came with my Westone 3, to cut away the hiss produced by my Sony player. My songs are all normalized using Monkey Media at 89dB level, hence its softer than the original recording vol.

Vol 3 or 4 is too low for me too, even when its in the middle of night without ambient noise. I used to listen to vol 15 without attenuator and normalization.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #539 of 1,871
Quote:

I'm using Westone attenuator that came with my Westone 3, to cut away the hiss produced by my Sony player. My songs are all normalized using Monkey Media at 89dB level, hence its softer than the original recording vol.

Vol 3 or 4 is too low for me too, even when its in the middle of night without ambient noise. I used to listen to vol 15 without attenuator and normalization.

Ah right. Thanks for detailing. I also use an attenuator/resistor adaptor for cutting out hiss but for some reason it never occured to me that those supplied with IEMs were the same device! No idea why. What Ohmage is the supplied Westone attenuator, do you know?

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #540 of 1,871
Quote:

Ah right. Thanks for detailing. I also use an attenuator/resistor adaptor for cutting out hiss but for some reason it never occured to me that those supplied with IEMs were the same device! No idea why. What Ohmage is the supplied Westone attenuator, do you know?

It is adjustable, it changes as you move the dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back