Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #257 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only a few days now.

...snip...

It's powerful and extends very deep.

-Ed

sounds eerily familiar to what I experience from AD2K's - this could definitely be the IEM for me!

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #258 of 1,871
Quote:

As for sound quality, they were a little underwhelming at first, because they have a pretty laid back presentation, but the treble is not rolled off. I even listened to test tones, and I can hear up to around 18kHz, which is the limits of my hearing. I think it's because most of my headphones are on the bright side, so in comparison, the ES3X sounds laid back because of that. After being accustomed to the ES3X, my Triple.Fi's sound somewhat shrilly in comparison.

Overall, the ES3X is very smooth. There is a lot of textural detail in the midrange and bass that I've not hear in other IEM's. The soundstage is very wide and more upfront. So far the ES3X is a bit better suited to rock and small group instrumental live music than big band and orchestra.

The best part of the ES3X I'll have to say is vocals. The midrange is fantastic. Certainly a little bumped up but not overly so to the point of sounding muddy. I'll have to do some more critical comparisons to my R10's, as they are the king of mid range in my collection. But the ES3X makes my Triple.Fi's midrange vocals presentation sound hollow and lifeless in comparison.

The bass is solid, detailed, and not boomy at all. It's powerful and extends very deep.

-Ed

Wow, looked like the perfect IEM for me. But u mentioned that the ES3X makes my Triple.Fi's midrange vocals presentation sound hollow and lifeless in comparison ?

Is it a bit bright on the ES3X sound ?

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #260 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, looked like the perfect IEM for me. But u mentioned that the ES3X makes my Triple.Fi's midrange vocals presentation sound hollow and lifeless in comparison ?

Is it a bit bright on the ES3X sound ?

The ES3X has a softer treble presentation vs. the Triple.Fi. The treble is all there, it's not rolled off, it's just not nearly as aggressive as the Triple.Fi's treble presentation.

But the ES3X's mid range is fuller and richer than the Triple.Fi, and pretty much all the IEM's I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edwood, have you heard the Shure SE530's before? If so how does it compare to the ES3X?

Yes, plenty of times.
I'd say, it is most similar to the Shure SE530's in it's high frequency response presentation, but with more detail. The soundstage presentation is different, more up front and a lot wider. And the bass is significantly better with the ES3X. But it's not really an apples to apples comparison given that the ES3X is a higher end custom IEM.

-Ed

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #261 of 1,871
I finally got my ES3X!!!!!!

I hope you enjoy the photos. One question for those who know....is there a burn-in period for these guys?

Thanks!

Ruby

DSC_0053-2.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

DSC_0057-1.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #264 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like great build quality. The cables probably even better than UE.

Yeah, I really like how light weight and flexible the cable is. It's still microphonic, but not overly so. But customs are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to microphonics, since they are firmly attached to a huge portion of ones' ears. Unlike most universals, which are only really making contact with the inner portion of your ears.

Overall, the ES3X is almost perfect. It's very quick, which is a given since it's a multiple balanced armature set up. While my personal preference leans towards a brighter treble presentation, the treble is clear, fast, and very detailed. I've been listening to more classical music lately. And triangles, cymbals, and percussions in general are excellent sounding.

The thing that interests me the most with the ES3X is how well the overall frequency spectrum is blended. Different notes, details, and textures are clearly distinguished, while with my Triple.Fi they are a little more muddy and lost.

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #265 of 1,871
Quote:

Yeah, I really like how light weight and flexible the cable is. It's still microphonic, but not overly so. But customs are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to microphonics, since they are firmly attached to a huge portion of ones' ears. Unlike most universals, which are only really making contact with the inner portion of your ears.

Overall, the ES3X is almost perfect. It's very quick, which is a given since it's a multiple balanced armature set up. While my personal preference leans towards a brighter treble presentation, the treble is clear, fast, and very detailed. I've been listening to more classical music lately. And triangles, cymbals, and percussions in general are excellent sounding.

The thing that interests me the most with the ES3X is how well the overall frequency spectrum is blended. Different notes, details, and textures are clearly distinguished, while with my Triple.Fi they are a little more muddy and lost.

-Ed

Yup, amazing aren't they?

Curious, what is your source and amp for them? I saw in the Monster Turbine thread you weren't using an iPod.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #266 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, amazing aren't they?

Curious, what is your source and amp for them? I saw in the Monster Turbine thread you weren't using an iPod.

Home / Transportable:
PC/Laptop -> Foobar 2000 with FLAC files -> HeadAmp Pico (USB DAC input)

Also use a Grace m902, but it's for full sized cans, the Pico has a much lower noise floor, the ES3X is very sensitive and I can hear quite a bit of hiss in the Grace.

Portable:
iRiver iHP-120 with FLAC files -> HeadAmp Pico (Analog input)

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #267 of 1,871
Quote:

-Ed

Agreed. My sage advice based on my experience would be this...keep listening. I made a reference several times in the UE10 vs. Westone ES3x thread about acclimating to the sound of a custom IEM.

It took me a while to grow acclimated to the highs on the ES3x. However, once I did I realized that they are nearly perfect as well and in balance with the rest of the music. The highs have all the extension and even shimmer in their presentation, however they do it in a way that is much less in your face than other headphones or even custom IEMs. At first, this presentation led me to believe the highs were more whispery perhaps than other headhpones or IEMs. I no longer believe this to be the case as I have listened, I have grown accustomed to their presentation and realize that all the info is there and is in balance with the rest of the sound spectrum.

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #269 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A

It took me a while to grow acclimated to the highs on the ES3x. However, once I did I realized that they are nearly perfect as well and in balance with the rest of the music. The highs have all the extension and even shimmer in their presentation, however they do it in a way that is much less in your face than other headphones or even custom IEMs. At first, this presentation led me to believe the highs were more whispery perhaps than other headhpones or IEMs. I no longer believe this to be the case as I have listened, I have grown accustomed to their presentation and realize that all the info is there and is in balance with the rest of the sound spectrum.

Exactly my thoughts. But still, if Westone offered an option of have the high frequency bumped up a little bit, I'd have taken it. Because no matter how well I acclimate to the sound signature of the ES3X, the highs will always seem recessed, because all my other full sized headphones are on the brighter side. (AKG K1000, Sony R10, and upcoming Sennheiser HD800)

For comfort and environment (not wanting total sound isolation) reasons, the ES3X (and any IEM for that matter) will never be my only headphone.

But as it stands, the one headphone I put in my EDC bag for on the go is the ES3X. And it will be that way until something better comes along.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #270 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think clear is o.k for the ear piece but not the cable.

My next purchase will definitely be black for my cable. By the way, the number indicated on the ear piece is it the number of pieces that Westone had built so far for ES3X ?

Oh, yeah, it's already apparent in the other pics of people's ES3X's here, but another reason I picked clear is because the standard heat sensitive tips are clear as well. I prefer the seamless same "color" look vs. the tips looking different from the rest of the body shell.

But, yeah. I'm most definitely going to order a black cable. I haven't decided whether I want the 50" or the longer 64" one yet.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back