Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #241 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow the HD800s require alot to actually live up to it's expectations...Well does anyone know if the detail, naturalness, and clarity of the ES3X and UE-11 are comparable to the high end headphones or HD800. I'll probably have to sacrifice soundstage for noise isolation and portability I guess....
redface.gif

Have you not read my impressions?
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #243 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, but I want to know if they are comparable to a fully amped HD800...

You said, "to the high end headphones or HD800"

I have answered that about many high end headphones, but nobody here has HD800 so that answer will have to wait.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #247 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what made you choose clear?

i dunno, i guess i just have a huge fear of them yellowing as time goes on

I like seeing what's on the inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, is that yours?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hiding in the corner salivating over ES3X ...

Yup, it's mine. Kind of difficult to audition someone else's ES3X.
wink.gif

Edwood_WestoneES3X_03.jpg

-Ed

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #248 of 1,871
Edwood - congratulations! It took me a bit to acclimate to the ES3x sound. Now that I have, I can't tell you how much I enjoy them. Definitely the most 'open' sounding IEM I have heard. Their musical presentation to me is addicting in a big way.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #249 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like seeing what's on the inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edwood_WestoneES3X_03.jpg

-Ed

I think clear is o.k for the ear piece but not the cable.

My next purchase will definitely be black for my cable. By the way, the number indicated on the ear piece is it the number of pieces that Westone had built so far for ES3X ?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #250 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edwood_WestoneES3X_02.jpg

Nice overkill carry case. I like the little dissicent pod in the middle, to keep things nice and dry inside. Those with sweaty ears need not worry.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Congrats Ed. How long have you had them, and are you liking them so far?

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #251 of 1,871
Edwood, congratz!

can you postmore photoes pleaseeeee?
i wanna see how it looks from inside
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

and i will go on clear for sure too.
it just will take me about a month to buy 'em...
frown.gif

and it will be even better if you will send the pictures to my mail in the highest resolution that is possible:

oren_venezian@hotmail.com

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #253 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think clear is o.k for the ear piece but not the cable.

My next purchase will definitely be black for my cable. By the way, the number indicated on the ear piece is it the number of pieces that Westone had built so far for ES3X ?

Yeah, I think I'll be getting a black cable.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #255 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Ed. How long have you had them, and are you liking them so far?

Only a few days now. I went nuts and wore them all night long working on a project. They made my ears ache after. I think I might need to take my time acclimating to them. They seem to fit great, I've been so used to universal fit, where there is no contact with the outer part of my ear at all. I think I move my ears around a lot, and the main body of the custom shell prevents my ear lobes from moving. Will take some getting used to.

Hopefully I won't need a refit. As it stands, I can only really wear them for afew hours before my ears start hurting. It's weird, it's around the back of my ear on the outside that aches most. Not the inside of my ear.

As for sound quality, they were a little underwhelming at first, because they have a pretty laid back presentation, but the treble is not rolled off. I even listened to test tones, and I can hear up to around 18kHz, which is the limits of my hearing. I think it's because most of my headphones are on the bright side, so in comparison, the ES3X sounds laid back because of that. After being accustomed to the ES3X, my Triple.Fi's sound somewhat shrilly in comparison.

Overall, the ES3X is very smooth. There is a lot of textural detail in the midrange and bass that I've not hear in other IEM's. The soundstage is very wide and more upfront. So far the ES3X is a bit better suited to rock and small group instrumental live music than big band and orchestra.

The best part of the ES3X I'll have to say is vocals. The midrange is fantastic. Certainly a little bumped up but not overly so to the point of sounding muddy. I'll have to do some more critical comparisons to my R10's, as they are the king of mid range in my collection. But the ES3X makes my Triple.Fi's midrange vocals presentation sound hollow and lifeless in comparison.

The bass is solid, detailed, and not boomy at all. It's powerful and extends very deep.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back