Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Mar 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #226 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is too much "reading into the statements" going on here. Step back and read the intent and not just the words.

I get the impression that they are both excellent when I take the entire impressions posted as a whole. "Both are Killer."

Once again, spot on. The differences between any of these custom IEMs is really much more minor than major, especially when you are talking about the ES3x and the UE11. They have their own unique sound and presentation and I have been trying to capture the differences in that sound and presentation. However at the end of the day, there are not night and day differences in which one is better. Honestly, at this level, neither is a clear cut winner. 'Both are killer'.

Saying the soundstage of the UE11 is bigger or wider doesn't mean the soundstage of the ES3x is small or narrow. The soundstage on both is big and wide for an IEM for SURE. The UE11 is just a HAIR, a hair bigger and wider. The tradeoff is that with the UE11 you don't get the mids being a bit closer to you in exchange for that hair bigger and wider soundstage. It might just be that the ES3x have a slightly more upfront sound to them whereas the UE11 take a slight step back in presentation.

The comparison gets difficult because of reading too much into statements as Larry points out. For example, the UE11 mids are not recessed at all. However in direct comparison to the ES3x, the mids are not nearly as present and defined in the mix. What is strange is that the ES3x mids aren't overly forward nor are the UE11 mids recessed.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #227 of 1,871
I just got a call my my Westone dealer....I know, usually calls from the Westone dealer only mean one thing....alas, it was bad news. Evidently it took 9 days for my impressions to make it through the US mail. This was from Minneapolis to Denver. Wow, it is a 2 hour flight. Oh well, they did confirm they received them and should have them shipping tomorrow or Monday. Word to the wise, if you want them sooner than later, be sure to ship fedex BOTH ways.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #228 of 1,871
hi Larry,

read smth abt the ESW10 n ES3x perviously, would you say that the ESW10 sounds the closes to ES3x in terms of headphones? thats if u were to choose..

coz i own a ESW10 and deciding whether to let go even b4 the ES3x comes..

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #229 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi Larry,

read smth abt the ESW10 n ES3x perviously, would you say that the ESW10 sounds the closes to ES3x in terms of headphones? thats if u were to choose..

coz i own a ESW10 and deciding whether to let go even b4 the ES3x comes..

I wont say the ESW10 "sounds closest" to the ES3X because that might make some people read into it that the ES3X are more like the ESW10, which is farthest from the truth. The ES3X is better than the ESW10 in all ways. The ES3X are closest to my full size open electrostatic headphones (or K1000) in speed clarity and transparency, without missing any bass in the process.

I mentioned the ESW10 only because they are one of the few closed headphones that I have heard that don't sound bad after listening to my open headphones or ES3X for a while and then switching over. This is because the ESW10 don't sound like a closed can and have a relatively well balanced frequency response - there is no shock of hearing a boomy bass and dark highs like when switching from ES3X to the Ed 9, or hearing a closed can echo with slightly recessed mids like when switching from ES3X to the D2000. Switching from ES3X to ESW10 just means a drop in detail and immersion and transparency, without a big feeling of "how could I have ever liked these" when making the switch.

I believe that people who like the ESW10 will like the ES3X, and if they don't need to hear sounds around them or to know what is going on around them, then the more isolating ES3X could easily replace the ESW10. There are times that I need to hear my wife of kids calling, and the ESW10 are one of the more likely dynamic cans that I will grab to listen to, such as when I am on my laptop and not near an electrostatic or speaker amp. With the ES3X in my ears, it is so isolating that it is like being on the moon in a vacuum - it bugs my wife when she is calling for me and I don't answer because I am immersed in the music like some isolation tank experiment in the movie Altered States.
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #233 of 1,871
HeadphoneAddict or anyone else for that matter...
I am debating between buying the....
  1. Westone ES3X and using my Shure SE530s as a backup pair and using both IEMS with a high end portable AMP.
  2. UE-11 and using my Shure SE530s as a back up pair and using both IEMS with a high end portable AMP.
  3. Sennheiser HD800's for home-use primarily and continuing to use my Shure SE530's as my "outside" IEM. Both will be used with a high end portable AMP.
Whats the best way to go?

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #234 of 1,871
well, I think the UE-11 vs ES3X question is being debated with some success in that thread

however, when it comes down to HD800 vs portable setup... i dont see much need for our advice, when it comes down to, "do you want this to be portable"? surely youre not thinking of taking those HD800's on the subway :p

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #235 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, I think the UE-11 vs ES3X question is being debated with some success in that thread

however, when it comes down to HD800 vs portable setup... i dont see much need for our advice, when it comes down to, "do you want this to be portable"? surely youre not thinking of taking those HD800's on the subway :p

If I get the HD800's they will be leaving my house only on special occasions like say If I'm going out of town for more than a day...I am afraid I will love the sound so much from the HD800s I will not like using my Shure SE530's anymore. Right now my Shure SE530's sound absolutely amazing and I continue to wonder how much better can music sound???

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #236 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict or anyone else for that matter...
I am debating between buying the....
  1. Westone ES3X and using my Shure SE530s as a backup pair and using both IEMS with a high end portable AMP.
  2. UE-11 and using my Shure SE530s as a back up pair and using both IEMS with a high end portable AMP.
  3. Sennheiser HD800's for home-use primarily and continuing to use my Shure SE530's as my "outside" IEM. Both will be used with a high end portable AMP.
Whats the best way to go?

I haven't heard an HD800, so I cannot advise you there. But I see them both as having a roll in my collection.

Basically when my HD800 arrive they are supposed to be my open headphone to beat them all, with comfort and the ability to hear if my wife or kids are screaming for me. When we had a bear charge my wife and son in the driveway last fall, I was delayed in the rescue because I had IEM in my ears. The only full size headphones I listen to anymore are my K1000, Stax O2 and HE Audio Jade.

My ES3X are my late night "closed" don't bother the wife headphones. These have replaced all my full size closed headphones. The ES3X are the only "closed" phone I have that can keep up with my top choice open phones. The ESW10 are my second place full size closed phone and I now use them more than the modded D2000 and Edition 9 if I don't want to leak sound but still want sound to be able to get in to alert me. Otherwise if total isolation is okay then it's the ES3X I grab.

For mobile, when I don't want to risk losing my ES3X outside of the house I mostly use the Westone 3, or sometimes the Phonak Audeo with microphone on my iPhone.

I could live without all the others not listed above. But, what I hope to get from the HD800 is a full size transparent and open and accurate headphone, that is very comfortable with a huge soundstage; and that doesn't make me do a 1 hour warm up on my stat tube amp because it can be fired up right away off my laptop's dac/amp or other SS amp. My K1000 sound best off a Qinpu A-3 tube amp and it needs warm up too, and they can't be powered by a laptop DAC/amp.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #239 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I get the HD800's they will be leaving my house only on special occasions like say If I'm going out of town for more than a day...I am afraid I will love the sound so much from the HD800s I will not like using my Shure SE530's anymore. Right now my Shure SE530's sound absolutely amazing and I continue to wonder how much better can music sound???

If you get the HD800 you're going to be spending at least $1000 more for a decent amp/source combo. And even then you won't reach it's full potential.

I'd suggest when it comes to cans, don't just get the most expensive one you can afford and nothing else. Save over $1000, get the next step down, the HD650's and spend the rest on a great amp/source. IF you're going to go the cans route.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #240 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get the HD800 you're going to be spending at least $1000 more for a decent amp/source combo. And even then you won't reach it's full potential.

I'd suggest when it comes to cans, don't just get the most expensive one you can afford and nothing else. Save over $1000, get the next step down, the HD650's and spend the rest on a great amp/source. IF you're going to go the cans route.

Wow the HD800s require alot to actually live up to it's expectations...Well does anyone know if the detail, naturalness, and clarity of the ES3X and UE-11 are comparable to the high end headphones or HD800. I'll probably have to sacrifice soundstage for noise isolation and portability I guess....
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back