Westone ES2 first impressions
Mar 25, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 40
Just thought I'd post some updates.

I finally have a portable amp that's usable with the ES2 - the RS Hornet. So, I can finally use the ES2 in my main system. I can finally see what it can do with better gear.

The Hornet, even at low setting, has entirely too much gain for the ES2, given the rather high output of my sources. So, I use it with a UE attenuator, which is, from what I gather, a rather beefy 200+ Ohm resistor. It certainly does change the sound signature of the ES2, and for the better, though the changes are small.

I've since used the ES2 in a variety of configuarations. The sources were a wide number of DAPs, PCDPs, the MicroDAC (which is simply excellent - wow Tyll, congrats on such an amazing portable product. Any thoughts of making a portable digital transport to compliment the MicroDAC?), and my trusty Rega Planet 2000. None of this is especially high-end, but it gives a pretty good idea as to how the ES2 will sound with high-end sources.

My impressions are far too disjointed and disorganized in order for me to try and express them with any kind of coherence and flow, so I'll just post ideas one by one as they come.

So, here's what I think so far:

- The ES2 is entirely too sensitive for portable devices. It picks up background hiss with incredible ease, which rules out a lot of portable devices as viable alternatives. The iRiver iHP-120, which sounds excellent, is largely unusable because of the tremendous amount of background hiss. The Kenwood HD20GA7, which sounds similar to the 120 but is even better, is even less usable due to even more hiss! The portables that sound very clean - X5, 5G iPod - are too bright to make very good synergistic companions, and besides, the 120 sounds better than them anyway. Using an attenuator to get rid of the hiss degrades sound quality and kills battery life, and the Ety adapter makes the ES2 much, much brighter, which you don't want.

- The ES2 is likewise too sensitive for most portable amps. Here, however, you have the option of using resistors. Still, if I can make just one suggestion to Westone regarding a custom IEM build around high-end consumer use: make it less sensitive! You'll make it much more compatible with portable devices.

- The ES2 is incredibly, amazingly, astonishingly revealing of any weakness that your source has. In order to get it to sing, your source basically has to be very well rounded without any single serious flaw, because if it is, the ES2 will find something to complain about. If there is even slight hiss, you'll hear it. If there is any harshness in the treble, you'll hear it and feel it. If there's muddy bass, bloated midbass, recessed midrante, etc... you'll know about it. It's very, very sensitive to tonal balance differences.

- The ES2 has definite potential in a high-end system. While I don't think that it's as good as top-tier cans overall, it's still very good. It's soundstage can actually extend beyond your head, and it's instrument separation, on good sources, is truly stellar. It's right up there with electrostats. It's quite fast, very well balanced from top to bottom, and has a very good midrange with great detail and clarity. Where it starts losing points is in texture. I guess this is an artifact of it's 18kHz cutoff, which hurts it's ability to replicate upper harmonics. But, high-end cans have a definite edge in repdroducing instrument and vocal textures, even though the ES2 is in many cases more detailed, or at least appears more detailed on first listen. Still, for the moment I'm enjoying the ES2 quite a bit in my main rig, and it does things many things that even the SR-404 can't. It is definitely high-end, though it doesn't quite go all the way.

- The ES2 is amazingly dynamic, vivid, and musical, especially with the Rega Planet (and Hornet). This combo, while not technically not the best I've ever heard, is musical enough to move me to tears. It just sounds right - clear, smooth, very vivid, well balanced, extremely detailed, articulate, and incredibly engaging. The ES2 is fully capable of "disappearing," basically, transporting the music so well that you no longer hear the system. It doesn't do it as magically as the HE90 and the top tier electrostatcs, but it definitely does it better than the HD600 or SR-404. It simply makes music.

- The ES2 is superb with all sorts of electronica, where texture doesn't really matter. Out of all my cans, it's my favorite for electronica right now.

- The Hornet, once it is burned in, is a great companion for the ES2. The Hornet has a forward but very organic and tube-like signature. It's not the most detailed and revealing amp that I've ever heard, and it's a bit colored, but it simply sounds beautiful. The ES2 is able to communicate these aspects of the Hornet's sound very clearly and well. But, it has a bit too much gain even on the Low setting, hence the need for an attenuator.

- To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to believe that the ES2, as well as the SR-001, is entirely too much headphone for any portable to handle. I know this will raise some eyebrows, but I'm beginning to believe that using a headphone like this unamped out of a portable is a waste. Instead of relaxing and letting the music flow, the ES2 simply complains over and over about how bad the portable is. The SR-001 does this too. These systems are simply far too revealing for the quality of current portable equipemt. Personally, I wouldn't even think of using lossy files with the ES2 and the SR-001, though I know many people prefer lossy on the move.

I bought the ES2 thinking that it was going to be the be-all and end-all in unamped personal listening. Instead, I started a long and still ongoing search for a source that would do the ES2 justice. In terms of an convenient, unamped package, I still haven't found it. But, I've realized that it is very much a high-end headphone that shines together with quality gear.

The rig right now looks something like: iRiver iHP-120 --> MicroDAC --> Hornet --> ES2/UE attenuator, with a Kimber mini and some generic optical cable. The rig isn't very portable, though it might be with that nifty Headroom bag, but it sure does sound wonderful.

More ideas to come later.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 40
Thank you CatScratch for the review.

I've only recently discovered the UM1s. Initially disliking them in favor of the Ety sound, I'm starting to warm up to them in a different way.

My goal this year is actually to upgrade from universal IEMs to customs. My current thought has been to get Sensas. But I did like the additional warmness, and bass that the Westones brought in the UM1. I also noticed a loss of detail and highs though. I understand that the UM1 is their single driver phone, and not their top end. I just noticed that compared to the etys er-6i, had more detail. If I had the detail back, with the additional bass and wamrth of the UM1, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

any thoughts on this?

-Jeff

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
Thank you CatScratch for the review.

I've only recently discovered the UM1s. Initially disliking them in favor of the Ety sound, I'm starting to warm up to them in a different way.

My goal this year is actually to upgrade from universal IEMs to customs. My current thought has been to get Sensas. But I did like the additional warmness, and bass that the Westones brought in the UM1. I also noticed a loss of detail and highs though. I understand that the UM1 is their single driver phone, and not their top end. I just noticed that compared to the etys er-6i, had more detail. If I had the detail back, with the additional bass and wamrth of the UM1, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

any thoughts on this?

-Jeff

The ES2 is the only custom that I've heard. So, I can's speak for the Sensa and UE models. The ES2 is far closer to a top-notch full-size headphone in terms of performance than it is to any single-driver IEM. It has the bass that you need, but it also has a good tonal balance. It's very detailed, more so than the ER-4P, so I persume it would be more detailed than the ER-6i also. It basically doesn't have any glaring flaws...

... except for its very high sensitivity and highly revealing/unforgiving nature. If you're planning on running an amped system with a good source, then you won't have anything to worry about.

Any custom will be a good investment if the price isn't much for you. If you really have to scrounge up for one then I wouldn't recommend it, since it has no resale value whatsoever, which makes it's true cost to own so much higher. Especially with the Shure e500 on the horizon, which may give customs real competition.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 40
You described the ES2 pretty well there, I use it all the time with the X5 (unamped, the X5 is at volume 5 unamped
tongue.gif
) and you sum up the strong and weak point pretty well. The only thing I do to make them sound more full is to add a bit colouration with the Machbass (8) and bbe (2). I like it that way, but it darkens the sound quite a bit. At home I tried these with my Corda and boy that is fun! the speed and detail are way of the sennheiser scale
wink.gif
Haven't AB-d them agains the DT880 yet, but I'll sure try that, since the DT880 is the fullsize can that reminds me most of the ES2.

Mar 28, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Still, if I can make just one suggestion to Westone regarding a custom IEM build around high-end consumer use: make it less sensitive! You'll make it much more compatible with portable devices.

Got it, less sensitive. :wink:

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 40
Hi catscratch,
Thank you for your additional thoughts and update.
Some passages remind me of my Westone ES3: Once I got used to listening with my stationary equipment (Kenwood 1000 CD, Meier-Prehead) I often get disappointed with my portables (Creative Zen Touch), because I try to compare these. While I listen to quite a lot of older rock-stuff, I also find lots of shortcomings in these recordings. The UE10 is a bit more forgiving in that respect although they also sound a lot better with the stationary equipment. On the other side perfection is what we all search, so the ES-2 and -3 as well as the UE10 and Sensas are the right things to use. And still if with portable stuff shortcomings are revealed, they are most satisfying overall.
Greetings from Germany
UAndy

May 13, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 40
Catscratch and glasses wearers - has anyone found a good way of handling microphonics and comfort issues when wearing glasses with ES2 (this is a pre-ordering question). Also, what has proven to be the most cost-effective way of getting ES2. I'd imagine if purchased from audiologist there would be quite a dffering range of purchase prices.

May 13, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 40
catscratch: Could you give me a quick comparison of the ES2 and the SR-001? The SRS-005a is currently my favorite set of cans (uses the same headset as I'm sure you're aware). The thing I find so lovely with the 003 is the spead/detail and instrument seperation. I get from your impressions that the ES2 isn't as textured in the bass as the 003 (the texture I heard on the 003 blew my mind, haha). How do the tonal balances of the two compare? Which is more bass heavy?

Thanks!

May 14, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Catscratch and glasses wearers - has anyone found a good way of handling microphonics and comfort issues when wearing glasses with ES2 (this is a pre-ordering question). Also, what has proven to be the most cost-effective way of getting ES2. I'd imagine if purchased from audiologist there would be quite a dffering range of purchase prices.

Glasses and the ES's don't really like each other due to the memory wires, but after while I found out that bending the memory wire just a bit out is the best wat (comfort wise), lobe-es2wire-glasses*-head-glasses*-es2wire-lobe.
the downside is that you hear every step you make, not good.

*how do you call the legs of a pair of glasses?

May 14, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 40
Sorry guys, was away from the forum for a while. Laser tag tournament > head-fi
eek.gif

Concerning the ES2 and glasses: Yes, Arielext is right on the money. The memory wire segment is the microphonic part. If you bend it out of the way, you reduce microphonics, but comfort will suffer slightly. In any case, glasses wearers will not find them quite as comfortable, but they are IMO still comfortable enough. This will also depend on how thick the earbands on your glasses are.

Concerning the ES2 and SR-001: They're quite different, but I would say that they're on about the same level. Today, I would give the overall nod to the SR-001, but I tend to go back and forth over which one I prefer. Tonally, the SR-001 has a more forward midrange than the ES2, and a more recessed/less extended treble. The ES2's treble can sound a bit harsh with recordings which have a harsh treble to begin with. OTOH the SR-001 shows you the harsh treble in these recordings, but takes away the extra edge. It's treble is less extended than the ES2, but is smoother and silkier. The SR-001's bass is more textured and detailed, and is a bit tighter, while the ES2 has slightly more bass in terms of quantity and extension, and definitely more impact. The SR-001 feels a lot smoother and airier than the ES2, and it feels a bit faster as well, though the ES2 is very, very fast. There is a certain electrostatic air and space around each instrument with the SR-001, which the ES2 lacks. On the other hand, there is more substance and weight to the ES2's sound, and it's imaging is far more precise. It's images are near holographic, while the SR-001 tends to be more diffuse. The ES2 is also less colored than the SR-001, but it doesn't rended textures quite as well either.

These days, I prefer the SR-001, since it misses none of the detail, but is smoother, fuller, and more musical. By comparison the ES2 is a bit more analytical sounding. But, on other days I prefer the ES2, since it's more impactful, more extended, and images better. I also prefer the ES2 when the SR-001 is under battery power.

Gear used in comparison: Rega Planet 2000 as source, Kimber IC, SR-001 under A/C power, the ES2 out of the Hornet and a UE 210 ohm resistor/attenuator.

I should note that I use the ES2 far more, since it can be used straight out of an mp3 player - but good luck finding one that synergizes well. I use the iRiver iHP-120, and it's the best I've found so far, but it hisses a lot. In any case, the ES2 is far, far more practical.

May 14, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #28 of 40
Arielext - that part is called "temple(s)" . I'd always thought that would be the answer, thanks. BTW I've found that the more profound your islolation ( exemplified by foamies), was proportional to the less impact of movement noise - but you will always hear something of a thunk with each step.......although, admittedly, I was unaware that the memory wire section was soo microphonic. My experience has been with (first love) Ety's.
......of course, each upgrade from Ety's is "anti-glasses - memorywire construction".......furthermore I had been fighting with my wallet re getting Sensaphonics, but recent posts and experience have steered me closer to ES2 - but in terms wearing them, I really do prefer the more minimalist Ety approach. Damn!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back