Westone ES-3 Part3
Nov 23, 2005 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

UAndy

100+ Head-Fier
Now a week with a lot of music-listening has gone by. It clarifies the performance more than on the initial report.

Volume-level: What I did wrong at first was listening too loud with the ES3. This is quite logical when beeing used to the UE10, because they deliver a lot of bass- and lower mid-pressure which in turn caused me to be used to a rather strong sound pressure. This is different with the ES3. I did not feel the loudness so much since the mid-bass pressure level is less aparent with them. That does not mean that they cannot play loud - they do, but they do it in a more uniform level throughout the entire frequency spectrum. Always when I started a listening session I opened the volume too much, then I became tired of the somewhat bright sound and turned the volume down a little. That was still rather loud but was distortion-free and very exciting.

Burn-in: Actually I thought that burning-in is nonsense. But it can be that the high-drivers needed a little of that. When listening too loud the highs were sometimes rather rough - depending on the source material. Especially on the right side that was audible. Now after one week it has improved.

Comparison to UE10: The UE10 are less transparent. That might sound strange to those owning them (like myself) but it actually is so. Now that does not at all mean, that the UEs sound dull - they don´t, but there is definitely a frequency-area which is less represented by the UE10. It is within female voices, lower to mid guitar notes and saxophone. That in turn makes listening with the ES3 such an absolute exciting experience. It is hard to describe. (Should there be anyone who owns AKG K1000 she/he will know what I mean.) It is the enormous ability of the ES3 to transmit the lifelikeness of dynamic music to the listener.

Equalisation: After one week I took out the 120 Ohm resistor and tryed the ES3 directly on the headphone-out: Terrible! It was almost like listening to a tin-can. So any of you owning the ES3 use the 120 Ohm (in-line) resistor. All my tests are based on that. I have tryed the Ety cable (some 40 Ohm ???) but that doesn´t fit due to their unique pin layout. (different diameter to prevent + - mismatch). Meier-Audio still sells the Oelbach 120 Ohm adapter.

Decay: The dacay is a bit less aparent - as is with other high-speed phones. There has always to be a sacrifice to speed and definition.

Further thoughts: The ES3 is for me is a great step forward to perfection. I never had a headphone/IEM with the ability to perform such a speed and lifelikeness throughout the entire frequency spectrum. It is such a joy listening to drum beats, electric guitars, violins and voices! That kind of performance can only be sensed with the K1000, but not in such an effortless way throughout the spectrum. The only thing that keeps it out of beeing the ideal phone is the tendency to slightly harsh highs at excessive levels. I can live with that, especially considering that too loud levels should be avoided.

I hope to have described the ES3´s performance a bit clearer for you.
Greetings from Germany
UAndy

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by UAndy
Burn-in: Actually I thought that burning-in is nonsense. But it can be that the high-drivers needed a little of that. When listening too loud the highs were sometimes rather rough - depending on the source material. Especially on the right side that was audible. Now after one week it has improved.

I had a similar expirience with UM1's. When I first got them, the left driver was literally resonating. Virtually every note was distorted, and repeated again, like an alarm clock in a large metal pot. I was pretty furious, since RMA'ing is always a pita when doing it out of the country of origin. Yet after ~a few hours of coninious burn it, it just dissapeared.

Nov 24, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 20
Great review, where could one obtain a 120 ohm resistor and for how much? Also I believe there is a post where someone used the etymotic ER4P-24 adapter with good results.

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 20
UAndy, I've been following these threads (parts 1, 2 and 3) and just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post your impressions of the ES3 and the comparisons you've made to the UE10-Pro which have been most helpful. Of course, it would have been better if you had liked the UE's better, so that I wouldn't be so tempted by the ES3, but thanks anyway!
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Of course, it would have been better if you had liked the UE's better, so that I wouldn't be so tempted by the ES3, but thanks anyway!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your reply. When I´m in the mood for relaxed listening with an overly warm representation and the music-character is not bassy and lean in the lower octaves I still grab the UE´s. They add little bit of sweetness to the music in contrast to the ES3 who presents the "hard reality".
There is some similarity with my Grado RS1 and the AKG K1000: The RS1 comes in handy when neutal relaxed listening is due. When I want to hear rather loud with the separation of instruments, like bongo-drums or similar, and hard focussing of the musical happening I get the K1000. Less bass is however the price to pay for. If I want an ultra-fast response throughout the entire musical spectrum with the best bass I can imagine I use the ES3. However a little less volume is required to pervent the music from getting nasty (harsh highs). When I´m rather tired in the late evening and want just a bit relaxation without desturbing anyone I use the Ety 4p at very low levels. The only phone I don´t use anymore is the Sony CD3000 (I find that a terrible thing).
So for a lot of opportunities I use different headphones. In the moment 95% of the time I use the ES3, then comes the UE10. I still want to get a bit deeper into their differences.
The ideal headphone is still to be developed. The ES3 comes terrifically close however.

Hi t10: Let´s hope that the reduction of harshness further improves.

Hi jzzmatzz: I think that was digihead. But I think he never got into further defails about the results. Can be that less than 120 Ohm (Ety adapter) is sufficient so that the volume from portable devices is enough, without additional amp. The Oehlbach-120 Ohm-adapter costs 18$ or 15 Euros, J. Meier informed me.

Greetings
UAndy

Nov 25, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Hi Uandy, looks like the ES3 may be for me, lots of detail
icon10.gif
. Thanks for taking the dive to give us your excellent reviews. Now I wonder how they would sound with the hornet. As far as the etymotic adapter, I believe Digihead used his with the SR71 if I'm not mistaken.
Also thanks for the info on the adapter, I will contact Jan Meier asap.

Regards,
JzzmaTzz

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 20
Hi jzzmtzz,
Post us your opinion if you should ever get the ES3. About the finish of the Oehlbach adapter: 3,5" plug on one side, socket on the other. All gold plated. Size is about 2 centimeters long (body) without socket, diameter about 8 millimeters. As long as there is no other plug very close by it fits fine.
Greetings
UAndy

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 20
nevermind, just saw your post

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 20
Glad I found this thread.
How compare UE10 vs. the ES3 in terms of size and comfort?
Can the ES3 be used to listen while in bed?
Also, using them with an i-pod would it be overkill?

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 20
http://www.pjbox.co.uk/Westone-ES3.htm

where it states: Please Note: The ES3 features an artificial bump in the midrange frequency response that is of great benefit to vocalists and guitarists who perform onstage. Therefore, the ES3 is not the best choice for listening to recorded music. If this is your goal, you'll be more interested in the ES2..

any thoughts on that?

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One
http://www.pjbox.co.uk/Westone-ES3.htm

where it states: Please Note: The ES3 features an artificial bump in the midrange frequency response that is of great benefit to vocalists and guitarists who perform onstage. Therefore, the ES3 is not the best choice for listening to recorded music. If this is your goal, you'll be more interested in the ES2..

any thoughts on that?

Having owned both, I'd agree with the stament above. Get the ES2s for personal music listening and enjoyment. Once I got the ES2s, I never listened to the ES3s anymore.

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 20
I just spoke to a person from Westone and he said that UM2 is an identical driver compared to ES2, no other fine tuning needs to be done. He also said that once you use UM2 with custom tips, it should match similar sound to ES2. Better Clarity, tighter, better seal. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back