Westone ES-3 Part3
Jul 28, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 20
I have the UM2s and I love them; compared to the K701s they lack quite a bit but they're great for portable use. I haven't gotten the custom tips yet because I read on here somewhere that the ES2 had a two barrel design (not sure exactly what it means) vs. the one barrel on the UM2. It was indicated that there was a pretty big sound difference, so I've refrained from getting the custom tips and thought I may get the ES2s. If the above is true, though, that's good news!

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #17 of 20
I had the UM2's for quite a while and now the ES2 for a year, and the ES2 is just that much better, clearer and faster. The UM2 now sounds overly muddy and slow. Yes I like the ES2 a lot .. more than a lot!

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Having owned both, I'd agree with the stament above. Get the ES2s for personal music listening and enjoyment. Once I got the ES2s, I never listened to the ES3s anymore.

You just saved me $200 dollars. Now can I save myself even more by taking the ES1s....

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #20 of 20
The ES2 sounds GREAT with the "M"-mod Hornet -- the best of any portable I've tried so far. I haven't been able to get hold of a current Xin amp, yet -- and will try with PRII soon. The Portaphile PV2^2-LT1210 Maxxed has great HF extension, detail and nuance and great imaging -- but has a pronounced hiss with the ES2; the AE-1 has even more hiss.

The original stock Hornet (with Nichicon capacitor) was too bassy/warm and too soft in the highs for the ES2.

The current "M" Hornet is wonderful, with a soundstage (illusion of course) that extends well beyond the ears with good recordings, has good dimension/spatiality and imaging, rich mids, and good HF extension and detail without being fatiguing.

I haven't yet tried it with any impedance adaptor or attenuator (to extend the volume control latitude). I play the Hornet between 1.5 and 2 on the volume pot "dial".

Be warned that the "M" Hornet takes even a little more "burn in" time than the original did. 350 hours seemed to be enough, but it continued to improve after that, and the bass energy became more manifest around 400 hours (rough guess since I had stopped noting playtime by then).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back