Westone 4R worth the upgrade?
Sep 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

duckz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I was looking to go up the IEM tier from my GR07 MK2 and was wondering if the Westone 4R would be worth the upgrade. I can get the Westones for 320 dollars new.
Additionally, any information on the difference in soundstage/ sound quality (warmth, bass, mids treble etc) between the two would be appreciated.

I don't know if the following information would help, but...
I've had the HiFIMan RE0, which was good, but the bass had too little impact. Maybe almost too balanced
The GR07 has treated me very well, and I really do like it. The bass is quite fine, but the low base could be a bit more impactful. The mid to high treble seem to be perfect.
I also have a Sennheiser HD598 for over the ear, which I also really like.
If I had to say, I would prefer a bit of darkness over it being too bright.
Lastly, I listen to all types of music except country. My current trend is Jpop, trance, alternative and a bit of melodic death metal.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi,
$320 for a w4R is really a good deal i think.
I will rate the W4 a neutral headphone. Not cold nor warmth indeed.
Treble on the W4 is better than Gr07's treble. Treble is more shimmering, more metallic on the W4.
Bass is on par cause the GR07's bass is more solid and impact. But the W4's bass is fuller. Because i think Gr07 slightly lacks the low bass region.
Mids on the W4 is better. It doesn't dip on the high-mids region like the Gr07. Female singers song with alto-cumulus would be more miraculous on the W4. So to me, the W4 seem to be a higher-end headphone. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back