Westone 4R: Westone 4 + Removable cable
Oct 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #32 of 150
removable cables should cost as much as the non removable cable version..hell why did they even come out with a phone with non removable cables in the first place and THEN release one with removable cables (if i were an early adopter I would be fuming at westone right now and i'm sure many are unhappy) 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #33 of 150

Quote:
removable cables should cost as much as the non removable cable version..hell why did they even come out with a phone with non removable cables in the first place and THEN release one with removable cables (if i were an early adopter I would be fuming at westone right now and i'm sure many are unhappy) 

I'm pretty sure the non removable cable version would be a tad cheaper (similar to UM3x vs UM3x RC). Furthermore, they'll probably say that they tweaked the sound sig so it's not going to piss a lot of people off.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #34 of 150

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the non removable cable version would be a tad cheaper (similar to UM3x vs UM3x RC). Furthermore, they'll probably say that they tweaked the sound sig so it's not going to piss a lot of people off.

Agreed, pretty sure the removable cables are gonna be slightly more pricey.

And although i did just procur the W4 just 1.5months ago, i'm not actually peeved that they launched the W4R. Not a big believer in the differences boutique after-market cables make anyways but i'm open to be shown/proven otherwise.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #35 of 150
man if theres a price drop for the W4 Id be so pissed. Bought it from earphonesolutions 4 days ago! and now you tell me this?! sighs. checking to see if earphoen solutions carry it in stock but it doesnt show up....ahhh

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 150

Quote:
man if theres a price drop for the W4 Id be so pissed. Bought it from earphonesolutions 4 days ago! and now you tell me this?! sighs. checking to see if earphoen solutions carry it in stock but it doesnt show up....ahhh

I'm in the same boat.  Just got my W4 three days ago.  You realize, though, they are returnable within 30 days of purchase with no restocking fee if you buy something else.  Which is what I may do.  Love them right now, and may even love the new "4" even more.  Who knows???

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #37 of 150
Time to get well acquainted with the W4s and pray the W4R does get launched before your 30 return policy date expires, then do some in-depth comparison before sending the one that loses the shootout back and post your impressions here. 

Many thanks in advance, from all of us at Head-fi! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 150

Quote:
Time to get well acquainted with the W4s and pray the W4R does get launched before your 30 return policy date expires, then do some in-depth comparison before sending the one that loses the shootout back and post your impressions here. 

Many thanks in advance, from all of us at Head-fi! 
biggrin.gif

only problem will be I bought the W4 from Earphone Solutions on a 20% discount; doubt the new W4R will be that inexpensive or that I'd hear that much difference anyway to warrant the price difference.

Looking forward to a review of the new ones, though

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #39 of 150
meh, I'm enjoying my newly acquired W4's (also the 20% off discount I got). I'm sure people will go wild saying the 4R is "so much better"... but I'm going to pay more attention to them in 6 months when the hype dies off.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #40 of 150

Quote:
meh, I'm enjoying my newly acquired W4's (also the 20% off discount I got). I'm sure people will go wild saying the 4R is "so much better"... but I'm going to pay more attention to them in 6 months when the hype dies off.

I doubt that there is an acoustical difference - there hasn't been any official word to validate such claims. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #43 of 150

Quote:
I would just keep the W4's if you like them...

Yeah, I've thought about it and I don't think I will sell them. Replaceable cables are nice, but it's not worth taking a loss to "upgrade", especially considering Westone has phenomenal CS anyway - if my W4 runs into trouble outside of warranty, I'm sure they'll take care of me at a nominal cost.

The heads up was for more recent purchasers hoping to get the W4 before their 30 days were up.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #44 of 150
yeah i got the W4 with the 20% so i wouldn't lose 15% just to gain a cable although the new waterproof "music vault" would be nice. O wells, $360 for W4 from an authorized dealer can be seen as a steal if anything. The W4 seems to be alright to me but I don't see a vast improvement over the UM3X but my next purchase will probably be IE8 or GR10 depending on when soundearphones will have a discount code. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #45 of 150

Quote:
yeah i got the W4 with the 20% so i wouldn't lose 15% just to gain a cable although the new waterproof "music vault" would be nice. O wells, $360 for W4 from an authorized dealer can be seen as a steal if anything. The W4 seems to be alright to me but I don't see a vast improvement over the UM3X but my next purchase will probably be IE8 or GR10 depending on when soundearphones will have a discount code. 

Yeah I just got the UM3X RC and the UM3X is pretty fantastic for vocals - I actually prefer it over the W4 for female vocals. However, the W4 outshines the UM3X in terms of soundstage and "realism" though, especially audible in classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back