Westone 4R or Shure SE535 LTD (Dem red ones)?
May 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AdamskaPrice

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from my Westone UM3X. had the pair for 2 years and I love them, but the drivers on the right seem to be giving out; i get hissing and random "kshhhh" noises when I use them for a prolonged amount of time. I've done my research and narrowed down my choices to the Westone 4R and the Shure SE535 LTD. I've read that the LTD version is sonically better than the normal edition, and freakin' red, so I went with the LTD version. I'm looking for a headphone that has a big soundstage, something the UM3X lacked, generally-neutral, and modest bass. Hopefully that isn't an impossible combination, but which pair of headphones has those qualities I stated? Also, genres I primarily listen to are Rock, Jazz, Vocaloid, and EDM. My UM3X nailed Vocaloid as most tracks have high-pitched female vocals, and I'd much prefer a headphone that can emulate it's sound signature, but with a bigger soundstage and impact in the low-end. However, I've read that the Westone 4R's are less "fun" than the Shure SE535 LTD's, and I'd like a fun headphone, but at the same time, I don't know what differentiates a fun headphone from an analytic one. I'm not really fixated on listening to tracks as they were originally recorded as, and I'm perfectly fine with an artificial sound.

So, what pair should I go for? Any other recommendations that fit the bill better than the Westone's and the Shure's? Thanks!

May 14, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 2
Can't have a definite say about their soundstage, but the SE535 has less treble sparkle or presence than the 4R. Though I have to admit, the SE535 is slightly more fun sounding and gives off an energetic aura in the music, whereas the 4R is slightly more neutral and void of excitement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back