Westone 4R for 299USD ...
Oct 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #108 of 135
Got mine in today. Came with a bright orange case. I don't think it came with star tips or anything. I see foam and some silicon versions of the of the foam plugs.

I've been listening to them for about an hour now.

Right off the bat...there isn't really much of a wow factor with them. My first initial thought was how balanced and reviling they are. Isolation is great...I can hear outside thing just enough to maintain spacial awareness. As for bass...yea...it's most definitely not in your face. It's not forceful and it's not distant and nonexistent. The entire thing is a well balanced driver. I think I understand the whole "fun" thing and how it's kind of missing from these phones. The stage isn't as wide as I thought they would be....but...I really need to let them burn in and continue listening to them.

I did own some Sony MDR-7550s and I felt they were way more fun....had what seemed a wider stage and a bit more fidelity and a deeper bass extension.

In all fairness though, these W4Rs deserve more listening so that's what I'm going to do. In all honesty though, I kind of miss those 7550s.

Edit: the more I listen, the more I think the W4rs would benefit from an amp. I have to turn my volume up pretty high to get them to put out a bit. So, probably my source not being as good as it could be. I'm using an LG G2 streaming Google Music on High Quality setting.

Edit 2: I am for sure hearing things I had never heard before though. Listening to Dredg's El Cielo (one of my all time favorite albums) I'm hearing things I did not know had been layered on to certain tracks. Damn good instrument separation here and so far the W4R delivers it all in a very tight, clean sound.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #110 of 135
I listened to my newly arrived W4R's and did not enjoy them as much as I did 3 months ago. Maybe it's b/c I owned so many awesome headphones during those 3 months like the HD800's/LCD-2's. I think I'm going to sell them and try something new.

Anybody interested and missed that $300 sale, go to my profile. I'm gonna send it to you the next day if you decide to purchase my W4R's.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #111 of 135
  I listened to my newly arrived W4R's and did not enjoy them as much as I did 3 months ago. Maybe it's b/c I owned so many awesome headphones during those 3 months like the HD800's/LCD-2's. I think I'm going to sell them and try something new.

Anybody interested and missed that $300 sale, go to my profile. I'm gonna send it to you the next day if you decide to purchase my W4R's.

yeah the hd800 and lcd2 are some phenomenal FS headphones. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #112 of 135
Well comparing them to the LCD-2 is kinda unfair. They lose of course, and lose badly. I own both. But I do like the 4R very much. Good stuff when connected to the X3. A great little portable rig. Very balanced sound with very tight deep bass. Well tight and deep for an IEM, it's crap compared to the LCD-2, but yeah still good enough for me. I'm so happy I picked them up for $299. I would say they're easily worth $399 in my mind.

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #114 of 135
I wish I never listened to the Audiotechnica ESW9A's in best buy that fateful day...

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #115 of 135
Nevermind, apparently I used the wrong tips. The foam tips suck.
Sounds freaking great now using the silicon tips, the same as I remember from 3 months ago :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #116 of 135
Sorry for all the commotion guys LOL forgive me

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #118 of 135
Personally I hate silicone tips I love the foam tip they are comfortable and do not slip, but they do hamper the signature of these W4R. I'm at a loss, I don't do comply but I do marshmallow and olive type foambuds, yet these are changing the sound.........
Another real minor thing is the cable, I get microphonics on it when rubbing against things, tap impact you get nothing but rub or scrape and it's numbing on the sound.

Still a very nice set of iems. Still waiting for my ciems......

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #120 of 135
  Personally I hate silicone tips I love the foam tip they are comfortable and do not slip, but they do hamper the signature of these W4R. I'm at a loss, I don't do comply but I do marshmallow and olive type foambuds, yet these are changing the sound.........
Another real minor thing is the cable, I get microphonics on it when rubbing against things, tap impact you get nothing but rub or scrape and it's numbing on the sound.

Still a very nice set of iems. Still waiting for my ciems......

Have you actually tried the star tips though? I'm usually the very same way, I go for the foam / sealing tips, but these star tips I find comfortable, isolate quite well and improve the sound performance substantially. If you've tried them out and still don't like them I believe people have had success mounting the shure tips to them. I'm not quite versed in the specifics of what that entails, but if you check out the main W4R thread there are a few posts about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back