Westone 4R for 299USD ...
Oct 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #93 of 135
Detail typically improves using an amp with any iem and the w4r is no exception... However as far as which portable, I'd be curious to hear that as well. The W4R is fantastic out of my Meier concerto though, outstanding actually.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #95 of 135
So.....how does the W4R do with an amp or amp/DAC combo?

FANTASTIC, in my opinion.

some combo's ive used and are currently using are:

Algorhythm SOLO Original dac
ALO MK2 amp
Ibasso P4 amp
JDS labs C5 amp
JDS labs C421 amp 

Current:
IBASSO DB2 dac 
RSA SR71-B amp
Ibasso pb2 amp

obviously we are talking about 2 dacs and 6 amps ive used with the W4r. and they are ALL going to have their differences. but i didnt find that the w4r responded bad to ANY one combo. i will say that if you can afford it, get a upgrade cable and amp that supports balanced input and output, imo the W4r Sound PHENOMENAL balanced! currently im using ALL Toxic silver poison upgrade cable,interconnects and adapters for my amp and dac setup. ive tried alot of combos with the w4r as far as cables are concerned and i like the silver poison ALOT.

interconnects and cables are going to need to be something to think about if you are deciding to do to a dac and possibly a amp

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #96 of 135
And that is why I ordered the W4R's again because I miss that supremely balanced sound. Sometimes I get really annoyed and tired of the V-Shaped sound of my PFE 232's :p

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #97 of 135
The W4R's sound is not too warm or not too cold. I find the W4R's tonal balance more appealing to me than the Sennheiser HD800's which sounded a bit too cold with cheaper amps and without some EQ'ing.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #98 of 135
At the moment I am just playing through my Iphone5 using flac player. Not sure whether amping will make a huge difference or not.

I guess i am still getting use to the sound signature of the W4R. My usally headphones are T1, DT1350, M100, and TF10. I was trying to find something that is close to the Beyer house sound.

My order came with the Orange carry case instead of the black :frowning2: and no bi flange...:frowning2: sad sad.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #100 of 135
At the moment I am just playing through my Iphone5 using flac player. Not sure whether amping will make a huge difference or not.

I guess i am still getting use to the sound signature of the W4R. My usally headphones are T1, DT1350, M100, and TF10. I was trying to find something that is close to the Beyer house sound.

My order came with the Orange carry case instead of the black
frown.gif
and no bi flange...
frown.gif
sad sad.

Amps and the W4r are a excellent match.  ive used a bit of amps with the iem's and all rendered great response from the iem,

Weird. Why are orders so fragmented with the included accessories?

becuase they are liquidating new and old stock.

new stock comes with star tips and the foam tips

old stock comes with triple flange/comply/ and the e2c style clear tips.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #101 of 135
Does the W4R produces unclear vocals sound or weird alien sounds when you plug the cable all the way into the mp3 player? (in my case, clip+. And I tried it with my phone, laptop as well)
Told them that the music came out nicely when I push the plug about half way in.
Asked for an exchange from earphonesolution and this is what they replied me:

"The sounds are most likely not being produced by the earphones as they are a passive device; they just reproduce sounds.

If the weird noises only happen when you push the plug all the way in it's because the device is not well grounded and it will generate a buzz. It is very common with laptops for instance but we've seen it happen with different mp3 players as well."

So.. they are suggesting that I just hold the plug while I listen to my music all the way?

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #102 of 135
Does the W4R produces unclear vocals sound or weird alien sounds when you plug the cable all the way into the mp3 player? (in my case, clip+. And I tried it with my phone, laptop as well)
Told them that the music came out nicely when I push the plug about half way in.
Asked for an exchange from earphonesolution and this is what they replied me:

"The sounds are most likely not being produced by the earphones as they are a passive device; they just reproduce sounds.

If the weird noises only happen when you push the plug all the way in it's because the device is not well grounded and it will generate a buzz. It is very common with laptops for instance but we've seen it happen with different mp3 players as well."

So.. they are suggesting that I just hold the plug while I listen to my music all the way?

I doubt it'll be your equipment. Have you tried changing different cables. If that doesn't work and it still sounds strange, it must be a bad solder or something in the headphone itself.

My pair arrived today and I gave them a run on my note2, the sound Sig is very much warmer than my tf10, I need more time to test though.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #103 of 135
I doubt it'll be your equipment. Have you tried changing different cables. If that doesn't work and it still sounds strange, it must be a bad solder or something in the headphone itself.

My pair arrived today and I gave them a run on my note2, the sound Sig is very much warmer than my tf10, I need more time to test though.

Couldn't try it with different cable as I do not have any other cable that is compatible with Westone one. Was using Shure earphones before I changed to the W4R.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #104 of 135
I would say if you have tried different sources and the iems sound the same its the iems not the source. Imo I would buy another set and return these although the price Is now higher.

Just demand a replacment pair. If they wont do that full refund is what I would be asking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back