Westone 4R for 299USD ...
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #32 of 135
Got em about about a half hour ago and have been playing around with different tips... do yourself a favor and don't even bother with the truefit tips... the star tips are much better with the huge added benefit that you won't snap the stalk off trying to get the damn truefit tips off. Much better bass response with the star tips and overall better sound.

Definitely a step up from the shure e500 / 535 (which don't get me wrong I liked, my go to iem for about the past 5 years)... W5R is just measurably better in every category, sweet deal!

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #34 of 135
I have to return my MDR-7550s unfortunately, do these W4Rs stack up better than the MDRs?

I was only able to use the 7550s for about an hour, but I really liked them. I'm coming from HiFiMan RE0s too...so the 7550s were a big upgrade for me. Will the W4Rs fair better?

EDIT: I pulled the trigger. What can I say...I need some new IEMs and given the reputation of these ones and at that price, I couldn't resist. I paid 9 dollars for 2 day shipping. Fedex...so I should get them this Saturday. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #35 of 135
  Got em about about a half hour ago and have been playing around with different tips... do yourself a favor and don't even bother with the truefit tips... the star tips are much better with the huge added benefit that you won't snap the stalk off trying to get the damn truefit tips off. Much better bass response with the star tips and overall better sound.

Definitely a step up from the shure e500 / 535 (which don't get me wrong I liked, my go to iem for about the past 5 years)... W5R is just measurably better in every category, sweet deal!

Just ordered them. Are the "Star tips" the ones that are installed by default?

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #36 of 135
Mine had a set of truefit tips installed "from the factory"... were a royal pain in the @ss to get off...

The star tips are the more pliable tips, not the foam-type tips... opposite of what I preferred on my shures ironically...

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #38 of 135
Yeah the true fits are a pain in the ass.to get off that and you damn near damage them trying to get them off.

I dont believ you would break the nozzle off trying to get a tip off but some tips are alot harder to get off then others.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #39 of 135
  Mine had a set of truefit tips installed "from the factory"... were a royal pain in the @ss to get off...

The star tips are the more pliable tips, not the foam-type tips... opposite of what I preferred on my shures ironically...

IC

So

TrueFit = Foam tips
Star Tips = Silicon tips

What's with all the funny naming?

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #40 of 135
IC

So

TrueFit = Foam tips
Star Tips = Silicon tips

What's with all the funny naming?

Apart from making the distinction between the two types of tips, its really just a name for marketing purposes that they [Westone] can claim as their own design. There's nothing extraordinarily revolutionary about their design, just a name to set themselves apart from the rest of the options on the market from what I can see.

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #42 of 135
I have to say im underwhelmed with the sound of my 4r's. i tried some different tips last night the big plastic ones and that seemed to improve bass response. But honestly i was expecting more from a $499 iem. Even tho i paid only $299. I shoulda just got the sennheiser momentums for my go to headphones while playing poker.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #43 of 135
I have to say im underwhelmed with the sound of my 4r's. i tried some different tips last night the big plastic ones and that seemed to improve bass response. But honestly i was expecting more from a $499 iem. Even tho i paid only $299. I shoulda just got the sennheiser momentums for my go to headphones while playing poker.

Expecting more what, more bass? Or more sound quality overall?

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #44 of 135
iems are a bit of a different game in the audio trek. Give them some time, I thought the exact same thing about my Shute e500 when I bought em for $300 a few years ago. Now I can't do without iems, I really like what they have to offer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back